Difference between ocean view and superior ocean view

Eglesbrech

So for those of you in the know what is the difference between these grades. On paper they look the same size, have the same facilities etc so what justifies the price rise?

The A grade is a bit bigger so I can see a charge for the extra space but is in a bad position and has lots of obstructed views.

The B and the C look just the same as the D.

Is there any difference or just same cabin different deck?

Yes Balmoral.

The D deck has picture windows the same as B and C and some of the B deck cabins have potentially worse positions on the ship imo.

There don’t appear to be any extras. When other lines add “superior” it usually means more or better amenities or a bigger cabin In the case of Fred you could get exactly the same, in a worse position for a lot more money which makes little sense.

I thought I was missing something.

As Parsman says, higher categories have windows rather than portholes. For some reason, cruise lines always charge more for cabins on higher decks, even though many people like ourselves prefer lower decks, due to greater stability and easier access to public rooms and dining rooms. Not to mention not needing a lift when you return from going ashore!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes Balmoral.

The D deck has picture windows the same as B and C and some of the B deck cabins have potentially worse positions on the ship imo.

There don’t appear to be any extras. When other lines add “superior” it usually means more or better amenities or a bigger cabin In the case of Fred you could get exactly the same, in a worse position for a lot more money which makes little sense.

I thought I was missing something.

What the rule is, that higher up the ship, the better the cabin. Now the cabins on Lido Deck 8 (or D as you like to call it) have blocked view due to the lifeboats. So you get a higher cabin but for a lower price, hence Grade B superior outside are available there. With a clear view, you need to be on Main Deck 6 (or F, as you might label it). But as this is lower down, the view might not be as nice in port as you are not as high.

You do have a choice and that is why the cabins are labelled as such. It's the old style layout of these ships that have some of the most higher grade cabins blocked with lifeboats.

Superior can also mean a higher deck.