Is there a Hurtigruten 101-102 we can consult?

kaymoz

We are working on plans to see Norway, and are reconsidering Hurtigruten. Initially we had ruled it out for a fjords cruise, since we thought they just do multiple short mailstops up and down the coast, without the longer port-stops featured by the typical cruiselines that facilitate the kind of shoreside exploration we like.

Recently I have learned that some of their ships DO feature various excursions, perhaps depending on the time of year, so I thought I would re-evaluate the possibilities. But I was frustrated when I tried to check the company website for the kind of itinerary that most cruiselines feature, indicating the time of arrival and departure for each port. And sadly, my trusty northern European cruise guidebook is silent on Hurtigruten.

Where might I find a current and reliable overview summary of what the Hurtigruten ships do and when, with shoreside explorations in mind?

• Like 1

On the thread that asks about excursions starting from one stop and ending at another, one post has a link to brouchers and another post has a link to the excursions offered.

On the thread that asks about excursions starting from one stop and ending at another, one post has a link to brouchers and another post has a link to the excursions offered.

Right!

That was our question, and the responses within that thread led us to great information:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2601132

GC

Hurtigruten is not 'an ordinary cruise line' but a cruise line as well as a car ferry and cargo operator operating 12 ships along the northern coast between Bergen and Kirkenes - with 35 stops during 6 days - few stops of 3 hours, and the majority of stops no longer than 15 minutes.

Hurtigruten ships sail almost the entire length of the Norway, crossing the arctic circle and completing the round-trip journey in 11 days.

Some links to more detailed information:

Hurtigruten Sailing Plan

ORDER FORM EXCURSIONS

Arrival and Departure Information

Handbook for voyages after 31 March 2018

We are working on plans to see Norway, and are reconsidering Hurtigruten. Initially we had ruled it out for a fjords cruise, since we thought they just do multiple short mailstops up and down the coast, without the longer port-stops featured by the typical cruiselines that facilitate the kind of shoreside exploration we like.

Recently I have learned that some of their ships DO feature various excursions, perhaps depending on the time of year, so I thought I would re-evaluate the possibilities. But I was frustrated when I tried to check the company website for the kind of itinerary that most cruiselines feature, indicating the time of arrival and departure for each port. And sadly, my trusty northern European cruise guidebook is silent on Hurtigruten.

Where might I find a current and reliable overview summary of what the Hurtigruten ships do and when, with shoreside explorations in mind?

Is https://www.hurtigruten.co.uk/practical-information/sailing-plan/ what you were looking for?

Many thanks to Hallasm and digitl! This is a;; very helpful information. It will take me a while to study this thoroughly and put it all together. But in the meantime, does Hurtigruten offer a version of the 'Norway in a Nutshell' that so many cruiselines incorporate, with a train at Flam, and if so, where in the schedule does that fit? (I didn't see it on the excursion list when I quickly scanned it, but the name may not be obvious to me!)

This is a link to Norway excursions - please note that some excursions are north bound from Bergen to Kirkenes while others are south bound from Kirkenes to Bergen.

Hurtigruten does not sail to Flåm and only arrange excursions along their route. My recommendation would be to stay some days in Bergen either pre- or post cruise and then visit Flåm from there - eventually stay at a hotel closer to Flåm.

• 2 weeks later...

You might also want to try Cruise Critic, which is an objective and comprehensive source of information. It's just next door to these Boards, or try this link: https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/reviews/cruiseline.cfm?CruiseLineID=73

Cruising mad - presumably you read the booking conditions before booking and accepted them by booking so what exactly is your gripe? I think you are just mad with yourself for being so stupid as to think the booking conditions do not apply to you perhaps because you are American. Wrong. The world does not revolve around you. Some of us have different rules. Get used to it!

Cruising mad - presumably you read the booking conditions before booking and accepted them by booking so what exactly is your gripe? I think you are just mad with yourself for being so stupid as to think the booking conditions do not apply to you perhaps because you are American. Wrong. The world does not revolve around you. Some of us have different rules. Get used to it!

I think you will find that you have posted in the wrong thread (and he has already said that he didn't read the Ts & Cs)!

• 4 weeks later...
You might also want to try Cruise Critic, which is an objective and comprehensive source of information. It's just next door to these Boards, or try this link: https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/reviews/cruiseline.cfm?CruiseLineID=73

Adam -

How does the UK version differ?

It seems to have the same posts (except that I can't "see" the Roll Calls without creating another login).

But the posts on, say, travel insurance seem to be the same as the non-UK (USA?) forum.

I guess the main question is: What, if anything, are we missing by not reading/participating in the UK site?

(If nothing, why are there two different forums, requiring separate logins?)

Thanks!

GC

Hi Kaymoz, a little late to the thread but here's a link to my in depth trip report from Sept 2016 that you may find helpful!

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2415349

Yes, Maria, this was super helpful -- especially the insights about the expedition aspect. It sounds like those staffers are the ones who lead the excursions and without them, who knows what the excursions would be like. We'll need to do more research on the whole excursion aspect I guess!

Kaymoz, last year I flew into Oslo, stayed overnight, then took Norway in a Nutshell to Bergen, then stayed overnight there. Got on the Spitsbergen that following day. On another trip, I flew to Oslo, stayed overnight and took the train to Bergen. Enjoyed both ways, but Nutshell was terrific. My first cruise on Hurtigruten was in December and it wasn’t unbearably cold. There were only 4 Americans our first trip, a few more the second.

My recommendation is SAS - Norway domestic it might not make a big difference but for international flights SAS is more reliable and does reroute if weather or technical problems. Norwegian might let you wait.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I flew Norwegian Air from LAX to Oslo, took the train to Bergen the next morning, and spent 1.5 days in Bergen before boarding the MS Trollfjord. Upon returning to Bergen, I stayed overnight there, then took the train to Myrdal, then transferred to the Flam train (roundtrip), returned to Myrdal, then went on to Oslo where I spent 2.5 more days before flying home again on Norweigan Air.

Pleasantly surprised at the quality of the Norwegian Air flight and planes. Did not do any of this through Hurtigruten except the cruise. Booked my own airfare and train trips well ahead of time from home; did not take a formal "Norway in a Nutshell" trip either, but had a great time.

Adam -

How does the UK version differ?

It seems to have the same posts (except that I can't "see" the Roll Calls without creating another login).

But the posts on, say, travel insurance seem to be the same as the non-UK (USA?) forum.

I guess the main question is: What, if anything, are we missing by not reading/participating in the UK site?

(If nothing, why are there two different forums, requiring separate logins?)

Thanks!

GC

Hi!

Apologies for not responding sooner, for some reason I did not get an alert.

So your question - how do the sites differ/what are we missing by not participating in the UK site? – the answer is you are not missing anything on the Boards as the Boards are global, they are not by geo (although, clearly, more Brits post in P&O forums than non-Brits, for example). Same with Roll Calls – exactly the same wherever in the world you read them.

The differences are on the Editorial side of things – I/we (my small UK team) write UK-specific stories about lines such as P&O, Fred. Olsen, Saga, Marella etc. that are not really of interest to the US (the same thing happens in AU). The only way you can read them is if you click on the little flag on the bottom right, then you get to the site specific geo. It's the same with Features – the content is largely the same, but we make it relevant to UK readers. So you'll find all the content is there, it's just tailored to wherever you are in the world! Hope that helps. Any queries, drop me a line: editor@cruisecritic.co.uk

best wishes

Adam