Port of Seattle launches free airport luggage service

MVPinBoynton

I would love to use this service, but have a question regarding the bag fees. I will be flying American home with a flight at 3PM. American normally has a $25 checked bag fee, but I have their credit card so I receive the first checked bag free.

Does anyone know if I will be charged the $25 checked bag fee as I am not checking my bag at the airport and inserting my AA credit credit card when checking my bag?

Port of Seattle told you to check with Carnival because each cruise line sets the flight time frame that's eligible.

According to the Port's website, all cruise lines are participating this 2018 season (someone said their ship didn't). So, if you're sailing from Port of Seattle and don't see the paperwork in your cabin, you might want to double check with your ship's guest services.

I used the free service in Sept. '17, and glad I did! My 28" was slightly overweight with added souvenirs, (NO CHARGE), I also checked a carry-on (Southwest/up to 2 checked bags - free); both were waiting for me on the carousel when I got off the 2nd leg of my flight home. Sweet.

THANK YOU for your detailed response. I am going to ASSume the service will be available.

If the service is not available (either due to Carnival or SWA), my backup plan is to haul our bags from Pier 91 to Pier 66 and store them at Pier 66 there while we explore downtown. It will be an extra step, but we were planning to uber from Pier 91 to downtown anyway so it won't be a big deal.

FYI - Upthread somebody mentioned the Edgewater Hotel stores bags. I just called the front desk and I was informed it was for guests only. Maybe a well placed tip could change that, but that is what I was officially told.

I

I would love to use this service, but have a question regarding the bag fees. I will be flying American home with a flight at 3PM. American normally has a $25 checked bag fee, but I have their credit card so I receive the first checked bag free.

Does anyone know if I will be charged the $25 checked bag fee as I am not checking my bag at the airport and inserting my AA credit credit card when checking my bag?

They should not. Just make sure you write down the reason why you do not get charged on the Space provided and that the copy of your return flight tiicket/itinerary you provide them reflects it.

Could any recent HAL passengers tell me if there is a flight time window? Our flight leaves around 5:30pm and we're curious if we would be able to use this service. What is the process for HAL passengers to enroll? THANKS!

Sorry, the PDF Link says Page Not Found. I am still trying to understand how this works so I know it will work for me. So I am on Celebrity Solstice docking at Pier 91. So I leave my luggage outside my room on the last night of my cruise, having had my boarding pass to Los Angeles only more than likely on Alaska Air issued on the ship? The next time I see my luggage is hopefully at Bag Collection at LAX? I then disembark with my carry only and hopefully stroll straight onto a taxi to the Airport, where I will check in at the First Class counter for Alaska Air? I am planning on catching the 11.05am flight to LAX. Have I got this right? Thanks in advance.

Seriously, I am still learning how to drive this website. Anyway, I think I will find plenty of answers now I have found there are 13 pages of posts on this subject, including a helpful PDF on Page 12 here. OK, so Alaska Airlines qualify. Do you reckon if you are travelling on an Australian Passport you will qualify: Check the enrollment form in your stateroom to

confirm eligibility. Guest Services can also assist.???? On that PDF. Thanks.

Sorry, the PDF Link says Page Not Found. I am still trying to understand how this works so I know it will work for me. So I am on Celebrity Solstice docking at Pier 91. So I leave my luggage outside my room on the last night of my cruise, having had my boarding pass to Los Angeles only more than likely on Alaska Air issued on the ship? The next time I see my luggage is hopefully at Bag Collection at LAX? I then disembark with my carry only and hopefully stroll straight onto a taxi to the Airport, where I will check in at the First Class counter for Alaska Air? I am planning on catching the 11.05am flight to LAX. Have I got this right? Thanks in advance.
I think your 11:30 a. m. Flight might be too early to qualify for the program.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Forums mobile app

Sorry, the PDF Link says Page Not Found. I am still trying to understand how this works so I know it will work for me.

Try this, copied from their website. I hope it helps. NOTE: every cruise line sets the time frame ELIGIBLE to use this service...hopefully you can call your cruise line to get the starting and stopping times for the service prior to getting onboard and reading it on the paperwork. If lucky, someone from Solstice (other ships, too!) who used the service this year posts (their ship's) times allowed. Note: I hop I'm wrong, but I think I remember reading that international flights were NOT eligible...if someone can verify, or correct me, please do.

Enjoy Seattle, Luggage-Free! It’s Complimentary, Convenient and Secure.

The Port of Seattle is pleased to offer complimentary luggage transfer to our airline at the end of your cruise. Enjoy hassle free disembark with Port Valet.

It’s a complimentary luggage service sponsored by the Port of Seattle. While on board your ship, sign-up, check your luggage and receive your airline boarding pass. Your luggage will be transferred directly to your airline and checked to your final destination.

No need to rush to the airport, so enjoy Seattle and travel luggage free!

How does the service work?

1. Enroll during your cruise

Port Valet is offered by all cruise lines. Complete an enrollment form, found in your stateroom. If you have questions, check with the guest services team on your cruise line for more details.

You can use Port Valet if you are flying with these participating airlines:

• Alaska, American, Delta, Horizon, JetBlue, Southwest, United

2. Drop your luggage

The night before your cruise ends, you’ll receive your airline boarding passes and special luggage tags from your ship’s crew. Set your bags outside your cabin that evening and the ship's crew will pick them up.

Your luggage will be securely transferred directly from the cruise ship and checked in with your airline all the way to your destination airport. You don’t have to do a thing.

3. Enjoy Seattle

Capitalize on your freedom and spend the day exploring Seattle in its most beautiful season. Visit Seattle can help plan the day. Check out the 2-hour, 4-hour and all day self-tours at:https://www.visitseattle.org/things-to-do/cruise-information/pre-post-cruise-activities/

4. Skip check-in at the airport

When you arrive at Sea-Tac Airport, proceed through security and board the plane. Your luggage is already checked to your final destination!

5. Track your luggage

You can track your bags at the Port Valet website: https://portvalet.maketraveleasier.com/

Explore Port Valet

And Enjoy Seattle Luggage-free!

Edited by aVacation4me
to remove extraneous info of no value, and again, to add a line of valuable info.

Thanks everyone, I just rang Celebrity Cruises in Australia and they had no idea what I was talking about with the Luggage Service. I was trying to find out if an 11.35am Air Alaska flight to LAX would be OK and not too early for luggage check through. They were no help at all. I am now going to ask my agent, but she may be told the same thing. I want to book my airflight before the prices change. hmmmm.

Thanks everyone, I just rang Celebrity Cruises in Australia and they had no idea what I was talking about with the Luggage Service. I was trying to find out if an 11.35am Air Alaska flight to LAX would be OK and not too early for luggage check through. They were no help at all. I am now going to ask my agent, but she may be told the same thing. I want to book my airflight before the prices change. hmmmm.

I cannot tell you what the flight time requirements are for Celebrity, but I can tell you that the requirements for the Ruby Princess on the next day (Saturday) are that the flight must be between 11:00am and 1:00am. I am attaching an excerpt from the form that the Ruby uses. I was unable to upload the copy of the complete document as it was too large for the website to accept. Hope the file helps.

Tom

1907378634_Rubyexcerpt.jpg.jpg.3325f569b4d5297d7e019ff8aafc843c.jpg

If you have Southwest and they give you your boarding passes, that means they check you in. That would be great, saves me from having to use internet plan or get early bird checkin as we are in Canada when T-24 happens.

• 3 weeks later...

Just back from Seattle - Alaska cruise on Carnival Legend. I couldn’t get a definitive answer on Carnival participating before we left and wanted to let others know that at least as of last week (late June) they are NOT. I asked numerous people at guest services and was repeatedly told that Carnival is not associated with the port and they do not use that service.

Disappointed in this and having to keep our luggage all day for an 10 pm flight.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just back from Seattle - Alaska cruise on Carnival Legend. I couldn’t get a definitive answer on Carnival participating before we left and wanted to let others know that at least as of last week (late June) they are NOT. I asked numerous people at guest services and was repeatedly told that Carnival is not associated with the port and they do not use that service.

Disappointed in this and having to keep our luggage all day for an 10 pm flight.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for leaving a message here, I appreciate it. Seems to be shame to me that they don't participate as the cruiser is the one who loses. You don't lose any $, really, but you certainly do lose out on convenience, that's for sure!

Tom

I hope you had a wonderful cruise, the Tracy Arm Fjord cruise I was on last September was incredible. It's unfortunate Carnival Legend chooses not to participate. From everything I read it was at no cost to the cruiser or the cruise lines. Perhaps because the cruise ship handles the paperwork (luggage tags and boarding passes go through them), they felt the staff time was not feasible. If I remember correctly, Seattle businesses fund the valet program because they want people to leave luggage behind and enjoy the sights (and buy stuff) before going to the airport. They would have been happy to fund your luggage transport, with a 10 pm flight you probably visited a number of businesses. .

Thanks! This is very helpful! We have a 5:45 p.m. flight on AA, and Princess never got back to me with information regrading if the flight was too late to qualify. Another poster was flying SW, and was told the flight had to leave SEA before 4:30. I appreciate your update. Thanks

I cannot tell you what the flight time requirements are for Celebrity, but I can tell you that the requirements for the Ruby Princess on the next day (Saturday) are that the flight must be between 11:00am and 1:00am. I am attaching an excerpt from the form that the Ruby uses. I was unable to upload the copy of the complete document as it was too large for the website to accept. Hope the file helps.

Tom

This is a great service, and I have used it on RC, Carnival and NCL in both Ft Lauderdale and Miami.

However-- it only works on certain airlines, and the flight must leave after a specified time...like in Miami, the flight had to leave after 11:45, I think. So check the flight departure times carefully.

And you do end up paying like $20 per bag. But so much easier than slepping off the ship and to ground transportation, and checking it in at the airport.

This free service is only available at Seattle and is furnished by the Port of Seattle to try and compensate travelers for the inconvenience of all the work done in and around SeaTac airport. As to the "$20 per bag" fee, that is the same bag fee that you would pay to the airline at the airport. There is no charge for the service of taking the bag(s) from the pier to the airport. Also, some cruise lines, Carnival being one and Celebrity and Royal Carribean being others (I believe, not sure of this.) do not participate in this program. If someone knows, or finds out, for sure on these last two please send me an email at pierlesscruisersat gmail dot com so I can correct this info.

Tom

I was on NCL Pearl 2 months ago (May 6-13) to Alaska. We were certainly hoping to use the Port Valet service to ease our trip home - three of us and bags is a lot to handle. I had to contact the Seattle Port Authority to find out if NCL participated - I was told they did. We left Seattle on Sunday. Sometime Monday morning I stopped by the guest services desk to ask for the Port Valet form so I could make sure to have it all taken care of well in advance - it was a sea day so not a lot to do. The lady at the desk looked at me blankly for several seconds when I asked for the form. I started explaining what the form was for. Still a blank look but she said it would be delivered to my room. I asked when I could expect it - all she would say was that it would be delivered to the room. I honestly think she really had no idea what I was talking about...

It seems like I had seen a post somewhere that said if you didn't get your form by Thursday to ask at the guest services desk. I looked at the delivered items each day (the Daily, ads for this and that, etc.) but no form showed up. So on Thursday I stopped on my way to breakfast to ask for the form again. This time the lady (different from the Monday lady) immediately said that it should have been turned in by Wednesday (the day before) at 6 PM and there was nothing she could do for me. I asked why I hadn't been told any of this. All she would say is that nothing could be done.

Later in the day I went back to the service desk to ask some more questions and got absolutely nowhere.

It all didn't sit well with me but what could I do? It makes me wonder if NCL doesn't really like messing with this service because what do they get out of it? The passenger doesn't pay anything. Does the Port Authority pay them anything - doubtful. They have to do extra work and get nothing in return. It's all about the money as far as I can tell.

The Port Valet service should be an awesome thing if you can get it... It just left me frustrated. Maybe I should have asked about it DAILY? You don't know this until you have hindsight. We were busy enjoying our cruise.

I was on NCL Pearl 2 months ago (May 6-13) to Alaska. We were certainly hoping to use the Port Valet service to ease our trip home - three of us and bags is a lot to handle. I had to contact the Seattle Port Authority to find out if NCL participated - I was told they did. We left Seattle on Sunday. Sometime Monday morning I stopped by the guest services desk to ask for the Port Valet form so I could make sure to have it all taken care of well in advance - it was a sea day so not a lot to do. The lady at the desk looked at me blankly for several seconds when I asked for the form. I started explaining what the form was for. Still a blank look but she said it would be delivered to my room. I asked when I could expect it - all she would say was that it would be delivered to the room. I honestly think she really had no idea what I was talking about...

It seems like I had seen a post somewhere that said if you didn't get your form by Thursday to ask at the guest services desk. I looked at the delivered items each day (the Daily, ads for this and that, etc.) but no form showed up. So on Thursday I stopped on my way to breakfast to ask for the form again. This time the lady (different from the Monday lady) immediately said that it should have been turned in by Wednesday (the day before) at 6 PM and there was nothing she could do for me. I asked why I hadn't been told any of this. All she would say is that nothing could be done.

Later in the day I went back to the service desk to ask some more questions and got absolutely nowhere.

It all didn't sit well with me but what could I do? It makes me wonder if NCL doesn't really like messing with this service because what do they get out of it? The passenger doesn't pay anything. Does the Port Authority pay them anything - doubtful. They have to do extra work and get nothing in return. It's all about the money as far as I can tell.

The Port Valet service should be an awesome thing if you can get it... It just left me frustrated. Maybe I should have asked about it DAILY? You don't know this until you have hindsight. We were busy enjoying our cruise.

It's really a sad thing that all of the cruise lines don't participate in the Port Valet program, especially since it's free to the cruiser/customer!! The people I speak to that have participated in it really speak highly of it.

Tom

Excellent info. I would really like to use this service, but I keep seeing different reports on whether it is available on Celebrity, namely Silhouette returning to Seattle on 14 September. I am not one to take no for an answer if I think someone is being lazy or giving me a bad steer, so I will be double checking when I am on the boat.

Just finished our Cruise from Alaska on Saturday. Was on the Bliss and used the Port Valet program. We flew with Alaska Airlines and flew home to Canada so it does work internationally. Our flight was at 2:45 pm. It was great to hang out in Seattle (without luggage) for 3 1/2 hours before we had to get to the airport.

It was free. We didn't know if we were accepted until Late Friday Night ( 9:30 pm ).

I did have a back up plan in case we did not get accepted into the Port Valet program. I did read that the Edgewater hotel next to pier 66 accepts luggage for storage. I confirmed that they do. It is $5 a bag and you don't have to be a quest.

I understand how the program works, and hopefully it will work for me! Anyone on Solstice this year (2018)who can verify that they participate in the program? My flight leaves at 12:30 pm. My cruise begins Friday and would love to have the last piece of the cruise puzzle in place!

You probably can check with teh cruise line, but the Port Valet site says that Celebrity participated in the program.

I understand how the program works, and hopefully it will work for me! Anyone on Solstice this year (2018)who can verify that they participate in the program? My flight leaves at 12:30 pm. My cruise begins Friday and would love to have the last piece of the cruise puzzle in place!