Info on train from Civitavecchia to airport for slightly disabled

sparks389

I am not sure this is the place to post this question, but I thought I would start here. My husband has been recently diagnosed with Parkinson's and has trouble with too many stairs. He can walk, but slowly and not for more than a few blocks without taking a break. We have almost everything in place for our Mediterranean cruise except for the return trip from the port to the airport. I have posted sharing a ride on the boards, but no takers so far. We thought maybe taking the train would be an option, but I know Italy is not known for too many elevators in their train stations. Does anyone know if there will be long distances to walk or stairs to navigate? Thanks!

In Civitavecchia it is almost a half mile from where the ship shuttle bus drops you off to the train station. I do not know if there is a direct train to the airport. We spent a couple days in Rome after the cruise and took the train to the airport. The station is in the airport, however we had assistance since we both used scooters. You may be able to request assistance with their Sala Blu. There are not any stairs at the train station in Civitavecchia. Only a few steps up into the train.

On another trip, we posted a note on our Roll Call to share transportation and a couple others did join us. It think there were four of us that shared the vehicle. Since we had the two scooters, there was not that much luggage space otherwise we could have probably had a couple more. Ours was a lot charge for the larger vehicle. Sorry, I do not remember the source.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

Unfortunately there isn't a direct train from Civitavecchia to the airport. You would need to change trains at Trastevere or Ostiense I believe, and there isn't an elevator. Moreover, the ship shuttle bus now drops you off in a new car park in Civitavecchia and it's a long walk to the station. Even the able-bodied can struggle, so you may be better to have a re-think.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Forums mobile app

It is always good to save money BUT you might consider one of the taxi services from the port. It would be a blessing for someone who is handicapped and cannot take too many steps - whether in a straight line or up/down stairs.

You will spend quite a few dollars to get to Europe from Texas. Why not spend a few more?

• 1 month later...

Hi Sparks. We are almost in your situation, except in reverse. We were going to take the train, but connections would be tough. Then there is the problem once we get there getting to the ship. We opted for a private driver with Civitavecchia Shuttle Service. It was 120e for the two of us.