Can 1 Adult And 2 Teens Fit in 1 Cabin

First time cruisers looking to book a cruise during the holidays. What is the best to do for first timers that will be the least expensive. We are retired military so looking for a military discount also. Looking for any cruise that embarks from Orlando area or Jacksonville. Which cruise lines should I be looking at? Thanks for your help.

Rhonda

You can easily fit a family of 3 in the smallest of cabins, an inside. We’ve booked our family of 4 in inside cabins many times. There will be two twin beds with bunk beds above them that pull out of the ceiling. They are very sturdy and hold my 200+ lb husband and they have sturdy rails built into the sides so you don’t fall out. But if you book a cabin for 3 you might get two twin beds and a single sofa bed or a trundle bed depending on the cruise line. If you are sailing with kids I would suggest Disney (they can be pricey) or Royal or Carnival. These 3 cruise lines have a much younger crowd and are more geared towards families with children. There are some very nice luxurious cruise lines out there but the median age is often (but not always) 65 and up and you may feel Iike you don’t fit in. There’s lots of websites that compare cruise lines side by side if you do a mock booking through them. That way you can see the ships, itinerary, and pricing side by side. We can’t mention travel agents or other websites here but if you google it lots of websites will pop up. Good luck.

Edited by cruisinqt
spelling error

Of course you can "fit"...how comfortable you'll be is a different issue. If you look at deck plans, most standard cabins (non-suite) are 185 sq ft...(Carnival...they have the largest standard cabins)...down to 119 sq ft. (on some of the older, smaller ships)....and that's pretty tight.

Hubby and I stayed in a cabin with 126 Sq ft....we both couldn't be walking in the cabin at the same time. I would NEVER, EVER do that again. You need to know the overall cabin space includes bathroom and closet space.

If you want a "hotel" experience on a ship , you need to book a suite.

Thanks for the replys. We are a family of 6 with 4 teens 13-18. I guess the 18 is an adult and he's a pretty big guy. We're just trying to save money. Maybe I'll look into a suite and see if that might be a better option.

Sometimes it’s cheaper to get two inside cabins (cheapest category) side by side that have a connecting door. You can leave the door open between the cabins and it’s quite roomy. Double the cabin space, two bathrooms, two closets, plus the little ones have their own space to play in. ;) This can also be done with balcony cabins. And some balcony cabins are made where you can remove the divider between the balconies to make one extra large balcony. This option may also be cheaper than a suite depending on which cruise line and what time of year you’re sailing.

• 1 month later...

We are doing 2 balcony rooms next year with our teenagers. It turned out to be less expensive than a suite. Did a family suite before when the grandparents came too, that was the same amount as 2 cabins. Some ships offer spacious cabin that have 2 twin or king and sofa bed and bunk beds in the room.

I love sailing from JAX but the only ship there is of the oldest class currently sailing from there, Fantasy class. The Elation has suites, but the most expensive (Grand suite) holds 4 with a foldout couch for two, and a twin/king bed arrangement. Would the two teens be willing to share? Certainly you can do an inside cabin for four. It will be tight, and you might want to encourage the teens to shower in the gym/spa area... One major plus for the Elation is that she had a major drydock/overhaul last year and they added usb ports in the cabins. Insides for 4 will have the 3/4 guests on bunks mounted to the walls. How long a cruise are you considering? The shorter ones, from JAX only go to the Bahamas, not really as warm as you might be hoping for in Dec.

The Conquest class ships sailing from Port Canaveral (still Carnival) have the upper bunks coming down from the ceiling in the inside cabins. If you can spring for an oceanview (OV) cabin, you could have a sleeper couch (not foldout) with bunk above for the 3/4 guests. If you can spend a little more, the Dream class of Carnival (Carnival Breeze from Port Canaveral) offer a deluxe OV which has a split bath: toilet/shower/sink in one room and sink/tub/shower in the other. Carnival does offer a military rate, but it is usually the same as the Early Saver rate, without the restrictions. Of course, there are other lines sailing from Port Canaveral, but I have no experience with them.

If you are set on north/central Florida, you might also look at sailing from Tampa. EM