Carnival 7 day with Allergies

twh2006

We sail in August on the Dream. I've already contacted them to let them know I have a severe Egg allergy as well as Celiac (gluten).

Has anyone had these issues? I'm just curious how the food situation was for you guys. I love to eat and I've heard good things about them being able to work with allergies.

Anyone want to share what they ate and how good it was?

This is my basic post about allergies..... We travel with a group that combined has allergies to peanuts, treenuts, shellfish, egg whites, chocolate, MSG and liquid dairy. Only had issues with 'user' error, no issues with Carnival. If you have a nut allergy, know that Carnival classifies seeds as nuts.

Each ship seems to do things a little differently. This has been our experiences on the West Coast ships.

If you have an odd allergy contact Special Needs before your cruise. If you have a 'normal' allergy no need to do so.

https://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/special-needs/dietary-needs.aspx

See the Hostess at embarkation when the Maitre 'd has hours. Hours will be in the FunTmes, usually starting around 1pm. The hostess will take that night's order. Each night the hostess or your waiter will bring you the next day's MDR menu-breakfast, brunch/lunch and dinner. If deciding between two entrees, order both. For brunch don't hesitate to order a breakfast and lunch if you want to eat both meals in the MDR. At ATD, an order slip will be generated and given to your waitstaff when seated. They will confirm the order with you.

Only issue we've ever had was one cruise DD's food arrived before mine.

For room service, they cannot make special for you but they can tell you the ingredients. No special area so there is always the possibility of contamination

Buffet is a minefield. Ask the Hostess or the Head Lido Chef or the Food and Beverage crew in the officer whites. DO NOT ask the line cooks or those serving desserts. They mean well but do not know the full recipes. Cross contamination is always a possibility.

Onshore--- we bring allergy cards. I made our own but you can buy some at selectwisely dot com.

You can only bring off commercially prepared food. We bring cereal bars, boxes of cereal, bottled water, hard candy etc.

Many ports will check. Some will do a physical search, others use dogs. You do not want the cute Labrador to sit next to you. I've had them alert on my Lemonheads.

Kids clubs have a form to fill out. There are some snacks served at times. The younger kids meet up at the dinner buffet certain nights. Ask the counselors what's on the menu.

Gluten Free has a few different things. Cruise Critic has lots of info about GF. Use ‘gluten’ or ‘celiac’ in the search engine. Know there’s at least GF pizza, noodles, bread available.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Very helpful!

My daughter is peanut/tree nut, which I feel like is the only allergy most places know how to accommodate. I'm chick pea and sesame, which is never, ever labeled. :(

Have only noticed garbanzo/cecci/chick peas in some of the Indian foods. The serene seeds are sprinkled on a few things and some rolls. Lots of non seeded rolls and it’s easy for them to trade out the garbanzo beans.

I have a dairy allergy (NOT lactose intolerance) and just got off the Dream. They do a great job of taking care of me. I agree about eating at the buffet...the line cooks do not always give accurate information, so, make sure and ask someone in charge. I have learned over my 18 Carnival cruises what is safe and what isn't, so I don't bother anymore.

If you eat in the formal dining room, they will give you the next day's menu before you leave so you can order what you want. They will also ask if you are interested in eating breakfast or lunch in the dining room the next day.

I would recommend emailing the Maitre'd, Shane, at drmaitred@carnical.com on Tuesday before you embark on Sunday to let him know about any food allergies. I have sailed with him 6 times and just spoke to him about this two weeks ago.

Good luck!

Brad