Seafood Shack

Megan_Strick

If my memory serves me correctly they are both the same price, and Seafood Shack offers 2 types of lobster rolls--a Maine lobster roll and a Connecticut lobster roll. As far as I can tell, the lobster on both is cold water lobster (the same lobster on both rolls), and the difference is the Maine lobster roll is chilled with mayo and the Connecticut lobster roll is served warm with drawn butter. The warm Connecticut is MUCH better.

Your memory is correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If my memory serves me correctly they are both the same price, and Seafood Shack offers 2 types of lobster rolls--a Maine lobster roll and a Connecticut lobster roll. As far as I can tell, the lobster on both is cold water lobster (the same lobster on both rolls), and the difference is the Maine lobster roll is chilled with mayo and the Connecticut lobster roll is served warm with drawn butter. The warm Connecticut is MUCH better.

Not on Glory. There is only one lobster roll available and it's not the fake Connecticut thing that calls itself a lobster roll.

We found the fried seafood to be greasy.

We found the fish and shrimp to be too heavily breaded which caused them to retain a lot of oil. The calamari and the clams seemed to have a lighter breading and were actually pretty good.

Well, darn, they are one of the best parts of a fried seafood platter.

I guess it depends where you are from. Rarely if ever see hush puppies here in New England at all. With "our " fried seafood usually clams , shrimp, scallops and fish , you usually get Fries, fried onion rings and cole slaw. :D

I guarantee you I've had more of both kinds of lobster rolls than everyone else here combined.

Awwww come on, that is going over the top. Maybe top ten percent, but I don’t like to brag. For the record, the ability to determine which is better is not due to volume but simply by taste. One has mayonnaise the other drawn butter. I can educate you grasshopper but you really need to work with me.

We found the fish and shrimp to be too heavily breaded which caused them to retain a lot of oil. The calamari and the clams seemed to have a lighter breading and were actually pretty good.

Fried foods retain oil when they are fried in oil that isn’t at the correct temperature. It has nothing to do with the type of breading.

I guess it depends where you are from. Rarely if ever see hush puppies here in New England at all. With "our " fried seafood usually clams , shrimp, scallops and fish , you usually get Fries, fried onion rings and cole slaw. :D

True, hush puppies are pretty much a southern thing. I have had the kind of seafood platter you are talking about probably over 20 years ago when I went on a trip to Boston with my grandparents, it was at small place that pretty much only locals know about, and I remember that mountain of food they brought me, it was soooo good and I ate most of it (that teenage metabolism :D)

A couple of things I feel compelled to add.

Born and raised in Connecticut, moved away when I was almost 30. NEVER experienced a hot lobster roll with butter in Connecticut. Had a couple on vacations to Cape Cod, but they were few and far between.

Lived several years just outside of Charlotte, NC. Agree that hush puppies are awesome with fried fish, fresh or salt water. However no self respecting joint Down South would call itself a "Seafood Shack." "Fish Camp" is where to go for fried catfish, hush puppies and the trimmings. And stay away from Fish Camps that don't serve beer and/or RC Cola and have a paved parking lot, they are no good for you. Gravel or crushed shell parking lots only, and a Budweiser and/or RC Cola sign - that is how you spot a good fish camp

A couple of things I feel compelled to add.

Born and raised in Connecticut, moved away when I was almost 30. NEVER experienced a hot lobster roll with butter in Connecticut. Had a couple on vacations to Cape Cod, but they were few and far between.

Lived several years just outside of Charlotte, NC. Agree that hush puppies are awesome with fried fish, fresh or salt water. However no self respecting joint Down South would call itself a "Seafood Shack." "Fish Camp" is where to go for fried catfish, hush puppies and the trimmings. And stay away from Fish Camps that don't serve beer and/or RC Cola and have a paved parking lot, they are no good for you. Gravel or crushed shell parking lots only, and a Budweiser and/or RC Cola sign - that is how you spot a good fish camp

Without degrading the thread (and I would be willing to wager I am a tad older than you) I can't speak where you looked but I can easily (and I do mean easily) list MANY restaurants (LOL, and even some that include a gravel lot) that only serve them with drawn butter, in fact the ONLY one I can ever remember seeing with mayo was Mcd's.... Can't talk to fried catfish or hush puppies, and really uncertain as to what trimmings are. All that said, the point is fairly mute as it pertains to the Sea Food shack.

I'm from the East Coast and we have fresh seafood. Wondering how the fresh the seafood is?

If you are used to buying and preparing your own seafood, you will likely find the prices high and your own prep better.

If you get your food out at a restaurant, then prices and freshness will be similar.

As others have said, stay away from the fried anything. Much too greasy!

in fact the ONLY one I can ever remember seeing with mayo was Mcd's.

I guess you've never set foot in Maine or further north. Only every single restaurant and roadside shack for 500 miles from Portsmouth to Halifax use mayonnaise.

Without degrading the thread (and I would be willing to wager I am a tad older than you) I can't speak where you looked but I can easily (and I do mean easily) list MANY restaurants (LOL, and even some that include a gravel lot) that only serve them with drawn butter, in fact the ONLY one I can ever remember seeing with mayo was Mcd's.... Can't talk to fried catfish or hush puppies, and really uncertain as to what trimmings are. All that said, the point is fairly mute as it pertains to the Sea Food shack.

I agree, I went to a conference in Portsmouth, NH and our Dinner was at River House. No Mayo on that Lobster Roll.;)