Question about Navigator suites

patbob1

My DW and I and my DS and BIL are on the Dubai to Rome cruise in April 2019 and we are new to Regent. We have side by side suites on deck 7 and would like to know if Regent will open the balcony partition between the two suites? TIA

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks. We normally ask the room steward when we get on board, but I like the idea of getting the TA to take care of it.

The reason I asked is different cruise lines and even different ships of the same line have different policies.

My DW and I and my DS and BIL are on the Dubai to Rome cruise in April 2019 and we are new to Regent. We have side by side suites on deck 7 and would like to know if Regent will open the balcony partition between the two suites?

The answer is not as simple as one might expect. The following is from Chengkp75, a retired Chief Engineer and a frequent and knowledgable contributor to these boards:

"Opening of the balcony partitions is always at the discretion of the Captain, as to how many and where it is allowed. On some ships, in some cabins, opening the partition will block the balcony door, so its not allowed. There is also the possibility that one of your cabins is in a different fire zone from the other two. Balcony partitions at fire zone boundaries are not allowed to be opened, as this will negate the fire boundary between zones, as was witnessed on the Princess ship that caught fire some years ago."

The answer is not as simple as one might expect. The following is from Chengkp75, a retired Chief Engineer and a frequent and knowledgable contributor to these boards:

"Opening of the balcony partitions is always at the discretion of the Captain, as to how many and where it is allowed. On some ships, in some cabins, opening the partition will block the balcony door, so its not allowed. There is also the possibility that one of your cabins is in a different fire zone from the other two. Balcony partitions at fire zone boundaries are not allowed to be opened, as this will negate the fire boundary between zones, as was witnessed on the Princess ship that caught fire some years ago."

Good to know. Thanks.

I don't see how that would work.

The balcony divider is a sheet of steel hinged at the suite side of the balcony.

Whichever side it hinges towards it will block off the sliding door to the balcony on that side, make the suite dark inside and possibly block access out of the suite.

Unless the steel sheet is taken away for storage that is. Its thick heavy steel so that seems unlikely.

I have seen them opened, but never removed. A few of the balcony doors are fixed and can not be open. i do not think this has anything to do with fire zone though, more of a design issue. IFIAK, the reason for the doors it to allow worker access to the outside of the balconies for hosing down and cleaning the decks and wall. About every 50 feet or so there is an outside hose bib on the wall.

I have never known them to refuse to open the adjoining balcony doors as we frequently travel with friends/family.

J

i do not think this has anything to do with fire zone though, more of a design issue. IFIAK, the reason for the doors it to allow worker access to the outside of the balconies for hosing down and cleaning the decks and wall. About every 50 feet or so there is an outside hose bib on the wall.

I have never known them to refuse to open the adjoining balcony doors as we frequently travel with friends/family.

Here is a bit of an explanation from the aforementioned Chengkp75:

"I do know that most lines have some policy as to the total number of dividers that can be opened, the number of contiguous dividers open, and that the fire zone dividers are not opened, I also know that the cabin stewards very frequently do not abide by these policies in order to gain favor with their passengers.

The only reason the dividers were made openable in the first place, was to allow fire teams to access one balcony from the next, something that could not be done on the Star Princess, and which was a direct cause of the fire spreading to the extent that it did."