A word to the wise about going to the doctor on Oceania Riviera

Stevek7

We just returned from back to back cruises on the Riviera, 10 days in the Caribbean and 14 across the Atlantic to Barcelona. During the course of our trip, my wife felt under the weather and went to the Doctor. He diagnosed her problem as a simple sinus infection and treated her for such. For that, he charged us $1,109.50!

Oceania claimed no responsibility for the amount of this charge because it contended that it contracts out the medical services on the trip. So...

We just returned from back to back cruises on the Riviera, 10 days in the Caribbean and 14 across the Atlantic to Barcelona. During the course of our trip, my wife felt under the weather and went to the Doctor. He diagnosed her problem as a simple sinus infection and treated her for such. For that, he charged us $1,109.50!

Oceania claimed no responsibility for the amount of this charge because it contended that it contracts out the medical services on the trip. So...

This issue was discussed extensively in another thread recently.

It sounds outrageous but one must think of this as a visit to an ER at home if you had no insurance - the cost would probably be very similar.. As you probably have insurance you will be reimbursed - just like you would be at home for a visit to the ER.

All cruiselines treat their medical facility as an independent contractor (like the spa) - so O does not dictate prices that are charged.

The cost of medical care in US is out of control. A 2 week hospital stay may be billed to your insurance company at million $ - especially if Intensive Care Unit was involved.

A sad state of affairs but not under O's control.

The true lesson here is - never travel without insurance and make sure you get all the documentation for your insurance company to be compensated.

Had basically the same thing happened but the bill was over $4,000. No complaints here as we got better and enjoyed the rest of the cruse. The interesting thing was our insurance carrier (well known carrier in the group policy world) denied the claim as out of network even though the billing clearly said "Emergency Services". We assumed the cost would be covered but since we choose to go on the cruise it was nor emergency service per the policy. The good news is our travel policy covered each and every dime of the expense for the price of $300.

Lesson learned.

Here is my advice, but we were in the medical field...always carry things for minor ailments, i.e. sinus infection, Mucinex D, some antibiotics in case you have that kind of an infection...or as someone said, make sure your insurance will cover it. We don't go to the ships doctor...might go if it was very serious, but not just under the weather. Too many things you can do for that.

Imagine how you would feel if you had horrible sinus pain and couldn't get any treatment for several days because the ship was at sea. Then you would have to spend your shore time in the next port hunting for a doctor or clinic that would be able to see you and find a place to get a prescription filled before the ship sailed.

Get travel insurance and see the doctor when you need to. If that "simple" sinus infection happens to be contagious, you also are protecting the rest of us.

I broke my toe on a Nautica and was happy that I could see the doctor, get an x-ray with no wait and still hobble through a shore excursion the next day. (be careful not to hook your toe around the foot of the bed when the ship is rocking.)

Mary

I'm not sure about other countries,but Brits: Make sure your insurance covers cruising.Our friend thought she had a very good travel policy,but found out when she had extreme pain from gall stones,that in the very small print,it said not covered when cruising.She had a port of call in New York and luckily the ER charges there, were covered.😱

I'm not sure about other countries,but Brits: Make sure your insurance covers cruising.Our friend thought she had a very good travel policy,but found out when she had extreme pain from gall stones,that in the very small print,it said not covered when cruising.She had a port of call in New York and luckily the ER charges there, were covered.😱

Good advice Jane, despite having spent a career in insurance we fell foul on a travel insurance claim. It seems that whilst back in the day you were covered for doctors bills, loss etc unless it was excluded, nowadays you are only insured if it specifically states you are covered for that occurrence.

So we were covered if we had to cancel a tour (only for specific reasons!!) but not if we had to cancel going to see a show we had pre booked for the same reasons.

And then they said oh and you haven't got cruise cover either, an addition to the annual policy which we had renewed every year on the phone so hadn't seen any new exclusions or additions, to which I asked jokingly, but we have on the hugely expensive single trip policy you sold us last month for a World Cruise haven't we? And no we hadn't got cruise cover!! They did back down and add it for free when I complained though!

This subject has been discussed in threads from time to time. But I'd like to add the value I perceive in having a mobile ER on board. Last cruise I fell in San Juan and chose to do some self care for my abrasions. However, I was comforted by the knowledge that if needed I could get professional medical an elevator ride away ..... priceless.

On our Panama Canal cruise, I felt crummy, as though a fever was coming on. It occurred to me to tough it out--the doc's fees would be high, I knew--but after spending thousands for the cruise, that seemed a false economy. Nice South African doc checked, treated, etc., and I was on my way. Insurance covered it, but it would still have been money well spent not to miss an excursion.

We always travel with broad spectrum antibiotics, pain meds, etc. We also take dukerol before cruises or travel overseas. Makes life easier. Haven't needed the Dr on cruise ship but good to know the service is there. And yes we have travel coverage.

Mo

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Medical care cost, in the US an average ER visit can run over $1500.00

Get insurance and dont look back...I use Kaiser HMO which is good world wide, no deductable had ship board bills of $6000, $1300 and$ 750 Submitted to My insurance... 30 days later, I had a reimbursement check.

Many people are shocked when they have to pay bills that normally they never see, and that go direct to their insurance. On the ship you pay and send it to the Insurance, making you much more aware.....

Me I carry a few things, but I am not penny wise and pound foolish... It there is the slightest doubt as to whats going on with my health I seek professional medical advice..... Whats your health worth......to you do you put a price cap on it?

I started an angry thread about exorbitant medical costs when I was onboard Regatta about two weeks ago. My husband had pink-eye and the episode cost us $515, my complaint being that we could not determine the price of the two prescriptions until the next day when it was too late to protest.

I would love to travel with a small medical kit as many have recommended. It makes a lot of sense. But how in heck do you get a doctor to prescribe antibiotics, pain pills, cough medicine or eye drops in advance when you are not ill? It takes a Herculean effort on my part to get antibiotics when I feel horribly sick, usually only prescribed on the second doctor visit. The prevailing thought seems to be that they become ineffective when overused and should be reserved for dire circumstances. In any event we are a captive audience on Oceania and heaven help us if we get sick. The pain will be considerable.

We had to use the Doctor once on "O" and let me tell the cost was around $3,000.00 and to me worth every penny. They did an outstanding job. We had to have blood test (3) and a few other things. We'd plan to get off in London because of what happened, but because of the test and service we were able to stay on the additional 7 nights and had a great flight comfortable flight home. And that's one of the reasons you buy the insurance. Rick

We travel with a pharmacy. Fortunately we have never had to see the ship's doctor but that's why we have insurance. On the 34 day circumnavigation of Australia the doctor was very busy and people were very satisfied

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

..I use Kaiser HMO which is good world wide, no deductable had ship board bills of $6000, $1300 and$ 750 Submitted to My insurance... 30 days later, I had a reimbursement check.

I also have Kaiser (Northern California), and they told me that when overseas, I am covered only for emergency treatments, not routine care, and my normal policy benefits and figures (e.g. deductible, copays, etc.) would still apply as if I were seeking treatment at an out-of-network facility back in the US. I suppose you did have emergency care on board, which is why your bills were covered by Kaiser. Is that right?

I wonder why you had no deductible? Does your normal Kaiser policy have no deductible?

In any case, glad to hear Kaiser gave you no round-around and that you got your reimbursement fully and promptly.

(apologies for this very specific post; too bad there is no private message feature on this website.)

Edited by sfvoyage

This issue was discussed extensively in another thread recently.

It sounds outrageous but one must think of this as a visit to an ER at home if you had no insurance - the cost would probably be very similar.. As you probably have insurance you will be reimbursed - just like you would be at home for a visit to the ER.

All cruiselines treat their medical facility as an independent contractor (like the spa) - so O does not dictate prices that are charged.

The cost of medical care in US is out of control. A 2 week hospital stay may be billed to your insurance company at million $ - especially if Intensive Care Unit was involved.

A sad state of affairs but not under O's control.

The true lesson here is - never travel without insurance and make sure you get all the documentation for your insurance company to be compensated.

I think you hit the nail right on the head. Health care in this country, and a lot of others is out of control and no one seems able to fix the problems. Insurance company's, hospitals, Doctors etc. They do not have any incentive to control costs since someone else will pay, just like Oceania guests are getting ripped off. Soon they could all be out of business and then we will really be in trouble. Don't get sick. :(:(

I also have Kaiser (Northern California), and they told me that when overseas, I am covered only for emergency treatments, not routine care, and my normal policy benefits and figures (e.g. deductible, copays, etc.) would still apply as if I were seeking treatment at an out-of-network facility back in the US. I suppose you did have emergency care on board, which is why your bills were covered by Kaiser. Is that right?

I wonder why you had no deductible? Does your normal Kaiser policy have no deductible?

In any case, glad to hear Kaiser gave you no round-around and that you got your reimbursement fully and promptly.

(apologies for this very specific post; too bad there is no private message feature on this website.)

No problem.......:D

My plan is no deductible/ silver care....I never had a deductible for 30 years just a co pay of $10 per incident...nor is their a ceiling or cap on my annual or life time claims.. They quoted me $15 for knee replacement...per Knee...... ist that good!. Best insurance I have ever had.... when I retired, I made shure that I lived in a Kaiser service area to live.... No Kaiser...No Dan ( Hawaii is great Kaiser) If I was a traveler I would darn sure move to a Kaiser covered area the savings are beyond good

My premimum is $39 a month for my wife and I. My retirement pays for the rest..... ( that was 20 years ago...they dont do that now I suspect) ...whats to complain about.

In every incident, Kaiser ( my Insurance So Cal) deemed any ship board visit was like a visit to an ER regardless of the outome and thus any visit on O was an emergency visit...I had not planned on getting sick or hurt... I did not go in for a physical or other prescriptive care with advance notice that not covered, like elective stuff.

Health care, is the largest reason people go bankrupt in life.... getting and maintaining the best insurance is first and foremost in importance.

I think you hit the nail right on the head. Health care in this country, and a lot of others is out of control and no one seems able to fix the problems. Insurance company's, hospitals, Doctors etc. They do not have any incentive to control costs since someone else will pay, just like Oceania guests are getting ripped off. Soon they could all be out of business and then we will really be in trouble. Don't get sick. :(:(

What drives costs up more than anything is the scores of lawyers out their filing law suits for tens of Millions.... what the USA needs is a cap on awards... Insurance for an MD can run over 100K..... even for a Nurse or Paramadic its Thousands a year...... THAT is what is reall driving up costs our legal system is out of control.... Spill hot coffee at Mc Donalds...Pow a $ 2 million award...

If you're lying in the street bleeding, 400 ft. is a very long way away. An ambulance does a lot more than throw you in and drop you off. They are equipped to get your heart started again, give you oxygen, stop the bleeding, etc.

Oceania cruisers can choose to wait until the next port and select the health care services you want at the price you are willing to pay. No need to use the health services on the ship if you don't want to.

What drives costs up more than anything is the scores of lawyers out their filing law suits for tens of Millions.... what the USA needs is a cap on awards... Insurance for an MD can run over 100K..... even for a Nurse or Paramadic its Thousands a year...... THAT is what is reall driving up costs our legal system is out of control.... Spill hot coffee at Mc Donalds...Pow a $ 2 million award...

You are so wrong, as you so often are.

Few of us can afford to drive a Rolls Royce, yet there isn't a person who reads this who wouldn't insist on Rolls Royce levels of health services for themselves and their loved ones.

Some aspects of illness are so seemingly random that sharing the risk (i.e. insurance) is the only sensible option for those of us who have yet to reach millionaire status.