How to get to Yokahama cruise terminal from Tokyo (Shinjuku)

lorri111

Hi, am thinking of choosing hotel in Shinjuku region of Tokyo, possibly Central Southern Tower and am wondering the best train route to get to Yokahama cruise terminal for Princess cruise. I find the train system a bit baffling at present!

Hi, am thinking of choosing hotel in Shinjuku region of Tokyo, possibly Central Southern Tower and am wondering the best train route to get to Yokahama cruise terminal for Princess cruise. I find the train system a bit baffling at present!

I booked with Green Tomato. Staying in Citadines Shinjuku.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Forums mobile app

My suggestion is to take the Narita Express from Shinjuku Station to Yokohama Station.

Take a cab from Yokohama Station to the pier. The taxi costs should be under 15USD for this 10-min ride.

I booked with Green Tomato. Staying in Citadines Shinjuku.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Forums mobile app

We stayed in Citadines Shinjuku and found the front desk staff really helpful. They ordered us a cab to the station and wrote directions for the train to Yokohama. Cab to port was easy from the station. Trains in Japan were easier than we expected.

I agree that train to Yokohama then taxi is the way to go. But a regular train takes 30 mins (5th stop) and is 3 or 4 an hour on Sundays and costs 550Y whereas the twice-an-hour Narita Express takes 45 mins, involves a change in Shinagawa or Tokyo (from a Narita-bound train to a Yokohama-bound one), and costs 3,090Y.

http://www.hyperdia.com is the search engine for Japanese trains and it will even give you the platform/track number.

Does anyone know the cost of a taxi (in USD if possible) from Shinjuku to Yokohama Port?

About US$ 250, one-way.

Travel time in a taxi would be about 90 minutes.

The trains from Shinjuku to Nihon Odori (station near Yokohama's Osanbashi pier) would cost you less than US$ 10 per person, and would take about 60 minutes.

JR train from Shinjuku to Shibuya; 15 minutes, 240 yen.

Toyoko Line from Shibuya to Nihon Odori; 29 minutes, 450 yen.

Nihon Odori station is a 10 minute walk or a 5 minute taxi ride from Osanbashi cruise terminal.

A friend uses the Rome to Rio app in Japan and says it explains all details really well, even down to what platform. We're going to give it a whirl in November.

We went on a Princess Cruise from Tokyo.

The pier is called Osanbashi at Yokohama.The nearest station is Nihon Odori. We caught the train from Shinjuku. We had to change trains at Yokohama.

Take JR Shonan Shinjuku line via Tokaido Line Track no 1 to Yokohama. Takes 30 minutes. Change trains at Yokohama and then take a train from Yokohama to Nihon Odori on the Tokyu/Minatomirai line (towards Motomachi-Chukagai.)

We walked from the train station to the pier. It was a 10 minute walk, but easy enough. There is a ramp at the end, but there were a lot of helpers that came to greet us and assist us with luggage up the ramp.

I used HyperDia.com to work out the trains which is like a trip planner - just enter JR Shinjuku to Nihon Odori and you can note down the details. We bought tickets from the machines and the station attendants came and helped us with our selections. I think we may have bought the ticket for the second train trip at Yokohama and again some very helpful locals helped us with the machine. We could not buy 6 tickets in one transaction, which confused us.

The train was quite crowded even on a Sunday. I think a lot of people doing day trips and in general, just a lot of people! We had a group of six, all with luggage and it was fine.

I had looked into transfers, but they were quite expensive from Tokyo and the Green Tomato transfer only left in the afternoon. The train is very cheap - around 550 yen per person ($5-6 USD/$9 AUD)

There was a huge line up of taxis from quite a way back which made me think it wouldn't be worth taking a taxi from the station unless you did not want to walk 10 minutes with luggage.:)

• 3 weeks later...

Boom-boom - yes its easy. At the pier exit the port has provided 'language assistants' who will help you tell a taxi driver where you want to go. For us, we went to the main station at Yokohama and not the nearer local station so we needed someone to help us make sure we went to the right station. Cost was 1600 yen (or about £11.50 UK)

And then we took the Narita express to main Tokyo station which takes only 30 minutes and wasn't busy at all on a Saturday morning (and neither was it busy on the previous Thursday morning). And those trains have plenty of storage space for cases and a level access, so Id definitely take the route again.

• 4 weeks later...
About US$ 250, one-way.

Travel time in a taxi would be about 90 minutes.

The trains from Shinjuku to Nihon Odori (station near Yokohama's Osanbashi pier) would cost you less than US$ 10 per person, and would take about 60 minutes.

JR train from Shinjuku to Shibuya; 15 minutes, 240 yen.

Toyoko Line from Shibuya to Nihon Odori; 29 minutes, 450 yen.

Nihon Odori station is a 10 minute walk or a 5 minute taxi ride from Osanbashi cruise terminal.

An alternative without a change of trains is JR train from Shinjuku to Yokohama Station for 29 minutes @ 550 yen and then a 10-15 minute taxi ride to the cruise terminal.

We went on a Princess Cruise from Tokyo.

The pier is called Osanbashi at Yokohama.The nearest station is Nihon Odori. We caught the train from Shinjuku. We had to change trains at Yokohama.

Take JR Shonan Shinjuku line via Tokaido Line Track no 1 to Yokohama. Takes 30 minutes. Change trains at Yokohama and then take a train from Yokohama to Nihon Odori on the Tokyu/Minatomirai line (towards Motomachi-Chukagai.)

We walked from the train station to the pier. It was a 10 minute walk, but easy enough. There is a ramp at the end, but there were a lot of helpers that came to greet us and assist us with luggage up the ramp.

I used HyperDia.com to work out the trains which is like a trip planner - just enter JR Shinjuku to Nihon Odori and you can note down the details. We bought tickets from the machines and the station attendants came and helped us with our selections. I think we may have bought the ticket for the second train trip at Yokohama and again some very helpful locals helped us with the machine. We could not buy 6 tickets in one transaction, which confused us.

The train was quite crowded even on a Sunday. I think a lot of people doing day trips and in general, just a lot of people! We had a group of six, all with luggage and it was fine.

I had looked into transfers, but they were quite expensive from Tokyo and the Green Tomato transfer only left in the afternoon. The train is very cheap - around 550 yen per person ($5-6 USD/$9 AUD)

There was a huge line up of taxis from quite a way back which made me think it wouldn't be worth taking a taxi from the station unless you did not want to walk 10 minutes with luggage.:)

Can you tell me what the best time to catch Train at Shinjuku to go to port by 12.30 pm , thank you

If you go to hyperdia.com ( hyperdia dot com) you can enter From "Shinjuku (JR)" then To "Nihon-Odari" and then date, time and select "arrival". It brings up several options. Best two options for next Saturday for example are either via Yokohama or via Shibuya for 650 or 710 yen. Takes 52 minutes.

• 11 months later...

I am arriving at the Yokahama cruise terminal on 30th Sept 2018 on a Sunday!!

I cannot find any shared shuttles from the port to a Tokyo hotel.

Green tomato do not offer a bus on this day either.

Can anyone give me any information about couriering the suitcase and travelling on public transport to the Chiyoda-ku, Akasaka ward in Tokyo. I believe there is a metro opposite the hotel called Akasaka-Mitsuke

At Yokohama port on arrival there was a desk where you could send your luggage direct to your hotel. I am guessing it could be same day as not a long distance and you will be leaving the ship early. We used this service to send our luggage to Okayama hotel and went with hand lugage only up to Hakone area for a few days.

The cost was about $15 aud per suitcase and worth every cent. This service is very widely used throughout Japan by the locals and is very reliable. Either send luggage from your hotel front desk or any 7-11, family mart, lawsons store. Very little storage space for luggage on the shinkansen also. My daughter spent a year in Japan as an exchange student and when on school camp the kids sent their dirty washing home to mum using this service. You will see the vans driving all around Japan with a black cat motif on them.

I am arriving at the Yokahama cruise terminal on 30th Sept 2018 on a Sunday!!

I cannot find any shared shuttles from the port to a Tokyo hotel.

Green tomato do not offer a bus on this day either.

Can anyone give me any information about couriering the suitcase and travelling on public transport to the Chiyoda-ku, Akasaka ward in Tokyo. I believe there is a metro opposite the hotel called Akasaka-Mitsuke

Luggage forwarding in Japan is called Takuhaiban.

It is efficient, fast, reliable, and a good value.

At Yokohama's Osanbashi Terminal, there will be a desk where you can take your bags. You need to fill out the form and pay about 1,500 yen per bag.

The bags will be delivered to your hotel in Tokyo before noon the next day.

Then walk straight down the entrance ramp from the terminal into Yokohama with your carry-ons.

At the second intersection, turn right.

In the middle of the block in a brown brick building is the Nihon-Odori Metro station.

Go down the escalator to the ticket level.

A one-way ticket to Shibuya is 450 yen. Buy it from the vending machine.

Go through the turnstile and down to the platform for trains going to Yokohama and Shibuya.

A regular train will get you to Shibuya Station in about one hour.

An express train will get you there in 29 minutes.

Your ticket is good for either train. You decide which to wait for.

At Shibuya Station you are in the B1 level.

Follow the signs to the Ginza Line. About a ten minute walk.

Buy a 180 yen ticket from the vending machine for Ginza Line.

Shibuya is one terminus for Ginza Line. There is only one direction you can go from there.

Board any Ginza train from the platform.

You will be at Akasaka-Mitsuke Station in about 8 minutes.

At Yokohama port on arrival there was a desk where you could send your luggage direct to your hotel. I am guessing it could be same day as not a long distance and you will be leaving the ship early. We used this service to send our luggage to Okayama hotel and went with hand lugage only up to Hakone area for a few days.

The cost was about $15 aud per suitcase and worth every cent. This service is very widely used throughout Japan by the locals and is very reliable. Either send luggage from your hotel front desk or any 7-11, family mart, lawsons store. Very little storage space for luggage on the shinkansen also. My daughter spent a year in Japan as an exchange student and when on school camp the kids sent their dirty washing home to mum using this service. You will see the vans driving all around Japan with a black cat motif on them.

Hi Tara Kane

Thanks for the info. Yes I know about the suitcase courier service but it's a Sunday so not sue if it will be open. I know other sites around Yokohama also offer this service but it's the difficulty of finding them.

I am interested in sharing a taxi eith others to tokyo if possible.

Kathleen

Every convenience store and every major hotel in Japan offer luggage forwarding services.

They are all open 24/7.

Can you a luggage forwarding service to send a bag from a hotel in Tokyo to the cruise port/ship in Yokohama?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Can you a luggage forwarding service to send a bag from a hotel in Tokyo to the cruise port/ship in Yokohama?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were not able to, they had to have someone to sign for it.

Depending on when you send it you should be able to send it to Yokohama Station though, they have an office there that does luggage storage. We were going to do that but had issues at Narita with getting them to understand that was what we wanted to do, so ended up just storing our cruise stuff at an HIS office in Shinjuku (500Y per piece per day) for the week we traveled around Japan and picked it up when we got back to Tokyo.

We traveled from Shinjuku to Yokohama with 2 sling bags, 2 backpacks, 2 carry-on sized suitcases, and 2 max size suitcases. We used a cab from the hotel to the subway station and then took a direct train from there to the station a couple blocks from Yokohama with no problems. From there we actually walked with our luggage. The only difficulty was right at the end where you have a slight incline up to the entrance to the port. But you could also take a cab from the station to the port entrance.

The trick is to know where you are and if there is a direct route. Even if the direct route is only to Yokohama Station you can switch there or take a cab from there. Although cost for cab from Yokohama Station to port would be about 2,800Y.