Flies???

3Shelaghs

Are we talking about the usual house fly, or horse fly? Or more like a mosquito or fruit fly? And yes, Uluru is on the agenda. Most of the warnings I’ve read are all describing nonstop swarms, ruination of vacations etc etc.... surely they exagerate?

Flies are flies. Big ones. Small ones. Bitey ones. Non bitey ones. They are all just flies. Incredibly - 24 million of us survive.

If you are indeed doing Uluru then yes pack nets for your hats and buy a basic repellant when you arrive - at any chemist or grocery store.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It'll be dreadful.

In some places.

But Australia is the size of the contiguous 48 states of the US. Where do you mean?

Flies arent going to end this vacation, but like to be prepared....GBR, Uluru,kangaroo island, and some big cities. Has anyone used the small clip on battery repellant, made by “Off”??

Flies arent going to end this vacation, but like to be prepared....GBR, Uluru,kangaroo island, and some big cities. Has anyone used the small clip on battery repellant, made by “Off”??

The Rock and KI are the most likely to have any real numbers of flies.

I wrote some advice about flys in rural Australia a couple of years ago and the advice still stands

Originally posted by 2016USAHoliday [/url] Im a born and bread Melbournite living in Perth, so have heard all the warnings to stay in your car.

The main reason we stayed in the car was all the flies!!!!!! Get out of the car and we would be covered in flies.

Great stories to tell of our adventures though!

"

Dear valued overseas visitors - it is with regret that I have to warn you about a dispicable pest that you may encounter during travels downunder.

Of course I am referring to the bush Fly.

In our summer the flies are found in rural locations in their billions.

They will not eat you (unless your deceased) so be reassured there and some can bite you but will not cause any great harm and generally an expletive will be sufficient to ease any pain.

The flies do like to have a cuppa too (slang for a cup of tea) No problems, just use your spoon to fish out the dozen or two in your cup and continue to enjoy.

We Aussies have learned to live with them and so will you. Please do not bring any of your own flies to Australia, we have more than enough for everyone.

Help is at hand with another great Australian invention - see the attached photos

Fly nets are cheap (because they are made in China). It does require some (well lots of) practice to imbibe your beer when wearing the net so I recommend, if travelling to the outback, you get your net as soon as possible before you come, in order to master drinking with the net on.

One warning - always remove the net when entering public buildings etc, especially banks or you will be mistaken for someone of ill intent.

That's one sure way to ruin a wonderfull exciting holiday to Oz.

If you doubt what I say - see the quote at the beginning to this post???

Attached Thumbnails

attachment.php?attachmentid=387882&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1465831532

Seriously though, flys are only a problem in the outback areas and your net and a spray will suffice - however, you should practice drinking beer with your fly net on before you come downunder. I reckon a cartoon of beer bottles or cans (at least 24) should give you enough practice to master it!

Bpos.......ach....now I understand....lol. Nicely written by the way.

I’ll expect swarms, and be sweetly surprised with seeing only the one...on a carcas :)

In the spring and early summer in northern Ontario, we have black flies, and deer flies. They swoop in like an expert snipper, (usually “lone”,) bite, leave a gapping hole with a good trickle of fresh blood. They hurt, and if we’re lucky, they don’t abscess...nets on the to do list.....after pub.....

We survive the flies each summer. You'll only need a net if you are spending a very long time outdoors in places like Uluru or Alice Springs, you'll be fine in the Sydney CBD etc., and annoyed in places such as regional towns but just utilise the "Aussie salute" where you wave your hand around to shoo away the flies and you'll be just fine :)

I see that the posts refer to flies being plentiful in the summer. We'll be in Uluru at the end of October. Would we need nets then, too? I'd rather be prepared for the worst, but if they aren't necessary then, it would be one thing off the list.

I see that the posts refer to flies being plentiful in the summer. We'll be in Uluru at the end of October. Would we need nets then, too? I'd rather be prepared for the worst, but if they aren't necessary then, it would be one thing off the list.

I’ve never used a net anywhere.

Just the good old Aussie salute, (wave the flies away) use your non drinking arm, gives both sides exercise that way.

You will be able to pick up a net for a couple of dollars almost anywhere in the outback towns - if you need them.

Buy them for around $4 US on Amazon before you go. They were $15 Aus in Ayers Rock. I was just there in March. We really needed them but I don’t know about October.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Buy them for around $4 US on Amazon before you go. They were $15 Aus in Ayers Rock. I was just there in March. We really needed them but I don’t know about October.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sounds like a small investment and a better way to go. I'm still wondering about October, though.

Bpos.......ach....now I understand....lol. Nicely written by the way.

I’ll expect swarms, and be sweetly surprised with seeing only the one...on a carcas :)

In the spring and early summer in northern Ontario, we have black flies, and deer flies. They swoop in like an expert snipper, (usually “lone”,) bite, leave a gapping hole with a good trickle of fresh blood. They hurt, and if we’re lucky, they don’t abscess...nets on the to do list.....after pub.....

Flies in the outback are just annoying but you also mentioned going to the Great Barrier Reef. The flies there are sandflies and bites can hurt like hell and cause welts especially in the summer months you mention. Make sure you buy some Bushmans repellent when you arrive in Australia and if you get bitten by sandflies up around the GBR don't scratch, you might end up with a scar.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks all for the replies... I'm ready :)

Are you really ready?

It is also important, indeed necessary, for you to practice and be proficient in shortening words and sentences before you come downunder in our summer months.

All Australians do this and the reason and logic for doing so will amaze, stun and flabbergast you to the core.

For example, good morning or good afternoon is shortened to G'DAY.

Why do Aussies do this? Drum roll please.

Shortening words and phrases reduces the time your mouth will be open to deny flies entry thereto.

How about that! - Aussie logic at work again, God bless them all.

In Summer in Melbourne we see maybe one fly per week.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Forums mobile app

That must be because they’ve all been throwing a party at my place ;p (outer NE, so not as “city” as some areas) We had so many this summer that I thought I’d be carried off every time I ventured outside :o