I need my wifi!!

OK, this is a question I think a lot of people would like to discuss! People now are connected 24x7 to the world. Be it social media or work. It's now too easy to be contacted but in some cases, that's a good thing. I see more and more people on cruises with their face buried in a smart phone or a tablet posting to Facebook, Instagram, or Snapchat. To me (maybe I'm getting old.. ugh) a cruise is a time to cut off contact from the world and enjoy a relaxing time in a lounge chair with a drink and letting the stress of your real life melt away for a precious few day.

My question is why do you get the WIFI package and what do you do with it?

OK, this is a question I think a lot of people would like to discuss! People now are connected 24x7 to the world. Be it social media or work. It's now too easy to be contacted but in some cases, that's a good thing. I see more and more people on cruises with their face buried in a smart phone or a tablet posting to Facebook, Instagram, or Snapchat. To me (maybe I'm getting old.. ugh) a cruise is a time to cut off contact from the world and enjoy a relaxing time in a lounge chair with a drink and letting the stress of your real life melt away for a precious few day.

We get the WiFi packages on the ship so that we can stay in touch with our family and so that we can stay in touch with each other on the ship, especially a bit ship. We use the WiFi to call home, text, call each other, post pictures to FB.

Remember, each has his own way of de-stressing. I don't do work but for us being able to contact is our way of relaxing.

The only reason I have a Facebook account is so I can enjoy and share special moments with friends and family. Part of my cruise enjoyment is paying back with photos of my trip as well as providing information here in CC. I will add that I don’t buy WiFi unless there is a good deal. Most of my connections are in port.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm getting that people (today) have an inherent need to be constantly connected. In some cases not being connected in it's self causes stress. Others feel that having an instant connection with family and friends makes them feel good and some just turn it off and forget about it until they depart the ship. There is no wrong answer it's just interesting to see why people get the package.

I could not agree with you more. Humans & cell phones are becoming quite comical & sad. They're missing so much. People are so connected they are actually more disconnected. Many view life literally through their phone screen instead of their eyes. Having said that, social media addiction & social media withdraw is very real. Simply research social media addiction or withdraw. How did we ever get by, function & enjoy a cruise 20 years ago without a cell phone, a tablet, the internet??

:cool:

Though you're likely to see my head buried in my phone while I'm sitting on the sundeck, I'm not using wifi. I preload a bunch of books on my Kindle app before a cruise. A lot more space efficient than stuffing physical books in my suitcase.

I'm with you, OP. I avoid the internet like the plague when I'm on a cruise. I'm on vacation to get away from people contacting me - I'm certainly not going to seek that contact out!

Though you're likely to see my head buried in my phone while I'm sitting on the sundeck, I'm not using wifi. I preload a bunch of books on my Kindle app before a cruise. A lot more space efficient than stuffing physical books in my suitcase.

I'm with you, OP. I avoid the internet like the plague when I'm on a cruise. I'm on vacation to get away from people contacting me - I'm certainly not going to seek that contact out!

I'm all for loading books on a tablet and I do see people reading from kindles which is great.

I could not agree with you more. Humans & cell phones are becoming quite comical & sad. They're missing so much. People are so connected they are actually more disconnected. Many view life literally through their phone screen instead of their eyes. Having said that, social media addiction & social media withdraw is very real. Simply research social media addiction or withdraw. How did we ever get by, function & enjoy a cruise 20 years ago without a cell phone, a tablet, the internet??

How true! I have lived in the US for many years. Still remember having to o book long distance calls to Europe to speak to my parents! Expensive! Called for birthdays, Christmas, etc. Operator connected and would come back to say times up, click!

Today many would not understand! I use my phone a lot, including FB, read, take photos , etc. but on a cruise it pretty much stays in the safe. I figure if someone needs me that badly, emergency, etc. they can contact the ship.

We are old school as well. The cell phone is for calling and sometimes taking pictures. On a cruise we disconnect completely and cell phone is in the safe. On our next cruise I will have my laptop but it will not be used. No need to stay connected. Our family knows where we are and in an emergency get in contact with us.

I am concerned about this addiction. I see my grandkids on the phone even when they are visiting with cousins they don't see often. Instead of talking they are texting or sharing things from their phones. Just so sad to see this.

I wish I could put my phone in the safe and forget about it for the length of the cruise, but as a small business owner I absolutely need to be connected and be available should anything arise back home. WIFI calling and texting comes with the VOOM package which is great, and I do like to check the CC boards while cruising!

I wish I could put my phone in the safe and forget about it for the length of the cruise, but as a small business owner I absolutely need to be connected and be available should anything arise back home. WIFI calling and texting comes with the VOOM package which is great, and I do like to check the CC boards while cruising!

But what if cell phones or the internet didn't exist? You would still be a small business owner, correct? You would give someone back home an emergency number of the cruise line to call if something were to arise, wouldn't you?

My husband has to stay connected with work or he probably couldn't travel or certainly couldn't relax, and we like to stay in contact with our kids back home. We read news on the internet, not from a physical newspaper. We read our books on the Kindle, iPhone or iPad. And we text each other on the ship such as, "Hey, the blackjack tournament is over so I'll meet you at the Schooner Bar" or something like that. On Anthem, there were ten of us spread out all over the ship at any given time. The Royal IQ app was an amazing way to stay in touch without running back to the cabins to look for post-it notes on the doors. I would never cruise without purchasing a wifi package.

Nope, nope, nope! We take our last pics and post to Facebook as we're leaving our home port, then turn the phones on airplane mode and only use them to take pics the rest of the trip! Our first cruise we each approached the other independently about the idea of completely disconnecting. I gave emergency contact info and our itinerary to specific family members and told them not to use it unless the world ended. (And even then, we just might not care! lol) We've done it ever since. DH is in a job where they would never leave him alone if he didn't make this rule. It's now one of my primary reasons for wanting to cruise! lol

I agree with you.Put your phones away and enjoy the surroundings! I,m waiting for the day we read in the news someone went overboard not paying attention where they were because they were walking and on their cellphones! LOL

But what if cell phones or the internet didn't exist? You would still be a small business owner, correct? You would give someone back home an emergency number of the cruise line to call if something were to arise, wouldn't you?

Obviously that would be my only option, and back in the day before cell phones and internet were around people didn't expect as much in terms of availability when away from home. Not that that's a bad thing as I really don't like having to deal with business issues when on vacation but that's the way it is.

I turn my phone off and only take it with me in ports... IF I run into free WiFi I will check in with family but the whole point of cruise to me is to forget about reality.

I would never buy an internet package myself, but the little bit of free time we get we use just to post a couple of pictures to FB via wifi and check if there is any important emails.

I actually have to remember to take a watch on vacation... I normally don't wear one and use my phone to check the time. On vacation I don't carry my phone everywhere with me and need a way to know what time it is.

Each to they’re own. I want the connection to home.

I also read my news online.

But next cruise next April I will probably have a kindle

Instead of physical books.

I couldn’t relax if I couldn’t be in touch.

But that’s just me.