Compensation for missed ports - LV Insurance

Just back from Norway cruise and 3 ports of call were cancelled due to weather, including North Cape. My LV policy says it will pay for missed ports due to bad weather - but what if others ports were substituted by Marella? Anyone know if the insurance will still compensate? We really wanted to see the North Cape

I was on that cruise. Tromso, Honnigsvag (north cape) and Harstad were cancelled because of forecast force 11 winds and 10 metre waves!. The schedule was changed and new calls at Trondheim, Geiranger, Eideford and Haugosund were added so we ended up with an extra port.

Update for the benefit of all cruisers - LV have compensated myself and my wife for the 3 missed ports - regardless of the ports that were added.

One 5 minute phone call, and £900 compensation already received into bank account.

Having never claimed on travel insurance for donkeys years, we have had reason to claim 3 times in the last 6 years, all via LV. First when my mother died a few days before a departure, second was £1800 medical bill on board the Dream, and now this. All dealt with efficiently, with no ducking and diving to avoid paying - can't recommend LV enough.

Hi Dave, what did you do at Haugesund? We are there in a couple of weeks and can't decide. Is it a nice town for exploring or are there any boat trips from the quay?

I just took the free shuttle into town and took a walk around. a quiet place and honestly not a lot to see in the centre. As we were there at short notice we were lucky the free shuttle ran. I will be there next year and will probably take an excursion.

The call to LV went along these lines -

Me - Been on a cruise to Norway, where 3 ports were cancelled due to weather, including the North Cape. Are we covered by the 'missed port' part of our policy, even though other ports were substituted.

Them - I will just check. Yes you are, can you tell me the ports and dates

Me - I read out the letter we received, where the capt explained which ports we would miss, and why. Then gave the dates of those ports

Them - Please keep the paperwork you have for next 30 days incase it is required. What are your bank details

Payment arrived 3 days later

I assume they contacted Marella regarding the itinerary change, as I have not ben asked for paperwork to date

Thank you for this, I never know you could.

When you got 4 ports of call instead of the original 3, then I would have been happy with that and never made a claim.

I looked into LV for a quote and for a year for me and the wife on multi-trip with Cruise Cover, it was a very agreeable price.

I have contacted my insurer about these missed ports too as we really wanted to visit North Cape. Our conversation was similar to yours and read the relevant bits from the letter reception gave us and I am getting a form in 7 to 10 days, but I was told I would have cover so will see how it goes. I have never claimed anything on the insurance before for missed ports but thought I would try as cruise was so different to what we booked, The Captain did a grand job but we hope we get a chance to try to get up there another time.

Gill

This is the first time we have claimed for missed ports. I didn't realise we had the cover until I was checking the policy terms, for medical problems we needed to add. You pay the premium for cover, so if a claimable reason arises, claim.

Some may frown based on the fact that other ports were substituted, but at the end of the day, it wasn't the cruise we booked, enjoyable as it was.

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from Discovery and at the captains questions someone asked about dangerous situations. He mentioned your cruise and that he had to take shelter in the fjords as the swell was getting so high. It sounds as though he missed the ports purely for people's comfort and safety