drinks package on Azura

Regarding the wine at meals, I suspect if those on the package were to get the service they required then those not on the package should be up in arms about their lack of service.

I know from other lines there have been comments that the waiters were so busy with the package people, that those not on the package found the service poor.

It may work better on club dining when the drinks waiter got to know you over the cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just to dispel some misconceptions. Most (all?) cruise lines that have a drinks pack will still swipe your card otherwise they are abandoning all computerised stock keeping and cost effectiveness. On P&O you will get a receipt that shows a cost of £00.00 for all your drinks. For those that think 15 drinks is excessive; I normally have a morning speciality coffee and start drinking water (2 litres a day on an air-conditioned ship. Two or three diet cokes around the pool (and more water) and maybe a Pina Colada. By the time I’ve had my four bottles ( you can only have small on the drinks pack) I’m rapidly approaching 10 drinksbefore the pee dinner drink at the bar. Two glasses of wine (ad fizzy water) with dinner and I’ve almost done my allocation before going out for the night. 15 drinks is not excessive and quickly gets used up.

Most cruise lines operate the package with trained staff. I was not impressed with the training of the staff on the Azura. Sorry, I love P&O but I hate it when staff are put in the firing line with poor knowledge of the product or service. Both have gone down (in my opinion) on P&O over the last five years. Basic civility to the customer can be learned in a couple of hours. Then you learn by shared experiences. (Or the poor service spreads like a disease).

Just to dispel some misconceptions. Most (all?) cruise lines that have a drinks pack will still swipe your card otherwise they are abandoning all computerised stock keeping and cost effectiveness. On P&O you will get a receipt that shows a cost of £00.00 for all your drinks. For those that think 15 drinks is excessive; I normally have a morning speciality coffee and start drinking water (2 litres a day on an air-conditioned ship. Two or three diet cokes around the pool (and more water) and maybe a Pina Colada. By the time I’ve had my four bottles ( you can only have small on the drinks pack) I’m rapidly approaching 10 drinksbefore the pee dinner drink at the bar. Two glasses of wine (ad fizzy water) with dinner and I’ve almost done my allocation before going out for the night. 15 drinks is not excessive and quickly gets used up.

I thought the limit of 15 drinks, according to the P&O literature, is restricted to the alcoholic drinks. Your coffees, fizzy and water do not count as part of the 15.

I thought the limit of 15 drinks, according to the P&O literature, is restricted to the alcoholic drinks. Your coffees, fizzy and water do not count as part of the 15.

You’re absolutely correct. That’s why it was continuously frustrating when we had to keep telling the waiters and bar staff they were wrong.

Regarding the wine at meals, I suspect if those on the package were to get the service they required then those not on the package should be up in arms about their lack of service.

I know from other lines there have been comments that the waiters were so busy with the package people, that those not on the package found the service poor.

It may work better on club dining when the drinks waiter got to know you over the cruise.

Which lines have reported poor service for those not on a package?

Why should those on a package not get the service they’ve paid for and how would those without it suffer if the cruise line has sufficient trained staff.

If there is an issue on P&O then it shows they don’t have adequately trained staff. Seems strange because from our experience they have enough staff in bars because they are constantly badgering you to order more drinks. Perhaps they need to move some of these into the MDR during dinner times.

Which lines have reported poor service for those not on a package?

Why should those on a package not get the service they’ve paid for and how would those without it suffer if the cruise line has sufficient trained staff.

If there is an issue on P&O then it shows they don’t have adequately trained staff. Seems strange because from our experience they have enough staff in bars because they are constantly badgering you to order more drinks. Perhaps they need to move some of these into the MDR during dinner times.

Celebrity and Princess. Bit harsh on P&O after one cruise of the trial.

Celebrity and Princess. Bit harsh on P&O after one cruise of the trial.

I agree. I had a package on Celebrity shortly after it was introduced. I was constantly at reception getting charges removed. Despite there being a sticker on the card and my refusal to sign slips. Also had issues with a wine waiter in MDR avoiding my table. Moved tables (for various reasons) got much better service.

I agree. I had a package on Celebrity shortly after it was introduced. I was constantly at reception getting charges removed. Despite there being a sticker on the card and my refusal to sign slips. Also had issues with a wine waiter in MDR avoiding my table. Moved tables (for various reasons) got much better service.
Well I can assure you Celebrity now have the service down to a fine art for those on a package. We’ve never had an issue with service, especially in the MDR. Never had incorrect charges on our account, although I’m quite happy to sign a slip, because I can then see that there is no charge.

The same applies to RCI and MSC with whom we have sailed and enjoyed the freedom of drinks packages.

Well I can assure you Celebrity now have the service down to a fine art for those on a package. We’ve never had an issue with service, especially in the MDR. Never had incorrect charges on our account, although I’m quite happy to sign a slip, because I can then see that there is no charge.

The same applies to RCI and MSC with whom we have sailed and enjoyed the freedom of drinks packages.

Agree with you - never had an issue on RCI/MSC with service of wine in the MDR. Those on a package are not competing for service with those that are not - the service should be equal for all - it’s just fetching a drink after all!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My point was that when I had the package it was new, and had teething troubles. It is unfair to judge it from its first cruise.

My point was that when I had the package it was new, and had teething troubles. It is unfair to judge it from its first cruise.

Call me old fashioned but if I’ve paid £40pp pd I expect to receive the ‘service’ I’ve paid for - I’m not impressed by excuses regarding ‘teething troubles’. Cruising is a billion dollar business and just because it’s become popular it doesn’t mean we should have, and accept, service which is sub standard in any form

Call me old fashioned but if I’ve paid £40pp pd I expect to receive the ‘service’ I’ve paid for - I’m not impressed by excuses regarding ‘teething troubles’. Cruising is a billion dollar business and just because it’s become popular it doesn’t mean we should have, and accept, service which is sub standard in any form

I agree as cruising is not a cheap holiday and if the crew are not adequately trained then the drinks package should not have gone "live" until they are.

I agree.

However I was pointing out that even Celebrity, which many cite as being so much better than P&O, had trouble when rolling out drink packages. To compare one with the other is unfair.

I agree.

However I was pointing out that even Celebrity, which many cite as being so much better than P&O, had trouble when rolling out drink packages. To compare one with the other is unfair.

I’m sure there are always problems but honestly should we accept that? I don’t think so - the programme should be drilled in weeks/months before its live - why should passengers suffer as a result of inadequate planning and/or training - goodness me, I know we’re British but there’s a limit to what we should accept

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I rang P and O about 2 weeks ago regarding if I could pay for this before I go on the Transatlantic cruise in October and was told the trial might not be still running don't sound good does it.

I would buy buy travelling on my own and it takes the worry on how much the bill will be and 8 days at Sea.

Hi,

I rang P and O about 2 weeks ago regarding if I could pay for this before I go on the Transatlantic cruise in October and was told the trial might not be still running don't sound good does it.

I would buy buy travelling on my own and it takes the worry on how much the bill will be and 8 days at Sea.

If the drinks packages are removed for whatever reason you could consider topping up you’re on board account with £320.00pp which would be the amount that you would have paid for your 8 day drinks package. I appreciate that it’s probably not ideal for the people that are used to and prefer a drinks package but probably the next best option if not available.