Wed Sep 19 - Existing fleet general sale May-Jun departures

Thur Sep 20 - Existing fleet general sale Jul-Oct departures

Mon Sep 3 - pre registration opens

Mon Sep 10 - Iona for top tiers

Wed Sep 12 - Iona other tiers

Mon Sep 17 - Existing fleet for top tiers

One agent suggesting almost exclusive sailing of Norwegian Fjords for inaugural season.

One agent suggesting almost exclusive sailing of Norwegian Fjords for inaugural season.

yes I have had an email from P&O this morning and it says "announcing Iona's itineraries" and they all seem to be Norway.

Due to limited availability of LPG Fuel Iona will probably undertake 7 Day Trips (refuel in Southampton) or Ports where the fuel is available. As more LPG fuelled ships come on stream more Ports will store the fuel.

That's very interesting.

Anyone know where the ports that currently have LPG are?

I have to admit to being slightly confused.

Pre-reg. is for every ship, and you have to put down a deposit at that point for the voyage and ship you are interested in and the grade of cabin you want on the ship & voyage you have chosen, so what exactly is the point of all the other dates?

Can anyone explain, thanks.

Pre-reg. is for every ship, and you have to put down a deposit at that point for the voyage and ship you are interested in and the grade of cabin you want on the ship & voyage you have chosen, so what exactly is the point of all the other dates?

Pre-registering only started in recent years. As the cruise industry has grown so large, the lines have to try and manage the booking process. If they just said they were launching on a certain date, all the systems would crash. Pre-registering gives the lines and the agents extra time to get things organised but bookings are not confirmed until the specific dates for each ship/loyalty tier. As you will see, the pre-reg period extends over a week.

Edited by Britboys
typo

The only comment I will make about the maiden season being in Norway is that having been lucky enough to call in to Geiranger & Olden on a ship carrying 600 pax, I would hate to be there when Iona disgorges her 5000+ pax....

Pre-registering only started in recent years. As the cruise industry has grown so large, the lines have to try and manage the booking process. If they just said they were launching on a certain date, all the systems would crash. Pre-registering gives the lines and the agents extra time to get things organised but bookings are not confirmed until the specific dates for each ship/loyalty tier. As you will see, the pre-reg period extends over a week.

Thank you. We're aware that it's new as we've been travelling with them for 17 years. It was always much easier to get on a maiden cruise back then!

It is weird as you are essentially making a booking with P&O when you pre-register as they take a deposit then. The only thing you cannot do at that point is book a particular cabin (which you certainly used to be able to do) so what on earth is the point of saying top tiers can 'book' on Monday 10th (and 17th) when you have, presumably, already booked!

Very weird.....:confused:

That's very interesting.

Anyone know where the ports that currently have LPG are?

Yes, that's very interesting. I wasn't aware of that problem.

So, is it like having an electric car and having to find suitable charging facilities during your journey.:)

Due to limited availability of LPG Fuel Iona will probably undertake 7 Day Trips (refuel in Southampton) or Ports where the fuel is available. As more LPG fuelled ships come on stream more Ports will store the fuel.

Absolutely right, first few years it will be Fjords and circa Amsterdam, Just 7 nights so don't go thinking she will be off to the Med. Yes once the LPG gets further afield with more ships driven by that method, then I guess we will see her spending her wings.

Left out

Thank you. We're aware that it's new as we've been travelling with them for 17 years. It was always much easier to get on a maiden cruise back then!

It is weird as you are essentially making a booking with P&O when you pre-register as they take a deposit then. The only thing you cannot do at that point is book a particular cabin (which you certainly used to be able to do) so what on earth is the point of saying top tiers can 'book' on Monday 10th (and 17th) when you have, presumably, already booked!

Very weird.....:confused:

For booking on day one you cannot guarantee. A particular cabin by going through P&O. Certain TA’s get in an hour before P&O.

After the opening days you can then ask for a specific cabin with anyone.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Has anyone any idea when a brochure or itinerary will be released ?

Absolutely right, first few years it will be Fjords and circa Amsterdam, Just 7 nights so don't go thinking she will be off to the Med. Yes once the LPG gets further afield with more ships driven by that method, then I guess we will see her spending her wings.

Left out

Aidanova will be sailing Med and Canary cruises, but only 7 nighters between, presumably LNG operational ports. So Iona could possibly be used for similar fly cruise itineraries.

Left out

I somehow can't imagine that P&O would introduce a ship of this size and then limit her to a very limited number of ports in one region for several years. There are a number of LNG-powered cruise ships on order to launch between next year and 2026. There will also be a number of non-passenger LNG vessels launching over the next few years too.

I would imagine that popular cruise ports such as Barcelona, Civitavecchia and Venice must be gearing up for this now too. I believe that refueling of LNG can also be carried out by a bunkering vessel, so that may mean there will be a bit more flexibility.

It does give impression but does not actually say the "whole" of the season or exclusively in Norway so we will have to wait and see.

It said in the link from the email "Spring and summer in the fjords" where it will go after that I don't know!

They are all quite different.

Pre reg is exactly as you say, but nobody can choose a specific cabin.

On the dates shown as higher tiers, those eligible (but nobody else) can make a booking for a specific cabin number on the ship and cruises shown.

The remaining dates allow the same for us plebs not in top tiers.

On those dates, the cabin numbers for those who have booked under a pre-reg booking are allocated and at this point you can ask for your ‘allocated’ cabin to be swapped to one that you prefer, if it is available (and not pre allocated to somebody else who doesn’t ask to swap or nabbed by a higher tier passenger).

I may get shot down in flames, but this made me smile (well more of a bemused smirk) A huge, gigantic new ship that can only sail for 7 days and I am guessing that many of those who are the 'target market' will want to go somewhere other than the Fjords for their jolly days. I would also expect that the size of the ship doesn't really lend itself to the Fjords --- I feel sorry for the Norwegians

I just find it ironic ...

I somehow can't imagine that P&O would introduce a ship of this size and then limit her to a very limited number of ports in one region for several years. There are a number of LNG-powered cruise ships on order to launch between next year and 2026. There will also be a number of non-passenger LNG vessels launching over the next few years too.

I would imagine that popular cruise ports such as Barcelona, Civitavecchia and Venice must be gearing up for this now too. I believe that refueling of LNG can also be carried out by a bunkering vessel, so that may mean there will be a bit more flexibility.

Can't see them letting her in to Venice -- I thought there was a size restriction. They're not happy with ships the size of Oceana ....

I may get shot down in flames, but this made me smile (well more of a bemused smirk) A huge, gigantic new ship that can only sail for 7 days and I am guessing that many of those who are the 'target market' will want to go somewhere other than the Fjords for their jolly days. I would also expect that the size of the ship doesn't really lend itself to the Fjords --- I feel sorry for the Norwegians

I just find it ironic ...

Actually myself and my wife were thinking the same.

Nothing against the Fjords, but we have cruised there several times.