Obstructed Balcony on Jewel of the Seas

nhmomofson

I am seriously thinking of surprising my husband with a 40th b;day cruise next month. As this is so last minute, there are only guarantee reservations left for balconies. Do you have experience with an obstructed balcony, as we might get one, on Jewel of the Seas or her sisters? Please share your experiences so I can decide whether to chance it move down to oceanview or up to a suite. Thanks for your help.

I am seriously thinking of surprising my husband with a 40th b;day cruise next month. As this is so last minute, there are only guarantee reservations left for balconies. Do you have experience with an obstructed balcony, as we might get one, on Jewel of the Seas or her sisters? Please share your experiences so I can decide whether to chance it move down to oceanview or up to a suite. Thanks for your help.

As far as I know the only obstructions are the last two or three balconies on each side. It is a partial obstruction due to the outside maintenance ladder storage.

EDIT: Just click on the image

obstruction.jpg.8aa1fa5101dd4281d543a09c3342d643.jpg

As far as I know the only obstructions are the last two or three balconies on each side. It is a partial obstruction due to the outside maintenance ladder storage.

EDIT: Just click on the image

Speaking of obstructions, we're sailing on the Jewel and we have a forward cabin on deck 7. If I look at your picture similar to the Jewel, do I count the first balcony to my cabin #. I'm trying to point at the cabin by looking at exterior pictures of the Jewel. Do you know what I mean?

Our cabin on our last cruise on the Jewel was obstructed but, at that time, it was not designated on the deck layout. We looked at the top of the cover of the lifeboats on the deck below. We hated it and felt ripped off. Cabin number was 7622. Loved the ship; hated the view.

Our cabin on our last cruise on the Jewel was obstructed but, at that time, it was not designated on the deck layout. We looked at the top of the cover of the lifeboats on the deck below. We hated it and felt ripped off. Cabin number was 7622. Loved the ship; hated the view.

That's not considered an obstruction though.

Speaking of obstructions, we're sailing on the Jewel and we have a forward cabin on deck 7. If I look at your picture similar to the Jewel, do I count the first balcony to my cabin #. I'm trying to point at the cabin by looking at exterior pictures of the Jewel. Do you know what I mean?

I know what you mean, I think. But the picture is the stern (back).

I know what you mean, I think. But the picture is the stern (back).

I am aware that your picture is in the stern but if I were to look at a picture of the forward end would I be right in counting the balconies from the forward towards aft as seen on the deck plans on the RCI site? If I look at the RCI deck plan for deck 7, if I count from cabin # 7006 to #7038 its 17 cabins. Now if I count 17 balconies on an exterior picture. would I be close to our cabin.

Quote from a famous inventor....."there is a reason for my madness"....

We felt the same way, but as Wrona said that is not considered an obstruction. I would not book another balcony cabin on the JOS unless it were on the hump.

That,s a problem with the Radiance class. You have to get a forward cabin.

The cabins on deck 7 above the life boat are considered obstructed view. You will not be able to look directly down to the water from your balcony. I have had cabins on deck 7 with this obstructed view and have had no problem with them. When you sit in the chairs and look out you cannot see the lifeboats just the sea. Also I'm afraid of heights so it's real rare that I will look directly down and actually knowing the lifeboat covers are there helps with this fear. I figure if I fall I'll have something to catch me.

I know it's irrational fear, you can't fall overboard without some real effort (or tons of liquor).

As they say whatever floats your boat. When I'm on my balcony I like to look down at the water.

I am with you. If I would end up above life boats I would try to get into a higher deck if possible trying to eliminate the 'obstruction' by a life boat.

But I am not sure if RCI considers life boat as an obstructed view unless they are in your line of vision out.

Interesting question though.

If the lifeboats located on (or just below) deck 7 obstruct the view looking down, how would being up an extra floor or two be any different? Wouldn't you still be looking at those lifeboats if you looked down?

Am I missing something?:confused:

You can see the lifeboat covers from all the decks, not just deck 7! They don't "obstruct" anything, really! Your eyes will simply go out a bit farther to the ocean view!

And the last cabins (with the "partial" obstructions--window washing platform) doesn't obstruct your view, either. Yes, when you first walk onto your balcony, you will see it, but it won't by ANY means obstruct any view you may wish to have.

I guess it's just a matter of taste and possibly how tall you are also but I did not like the fact that I could not stand or sit on my balcony and see the water. Plus, there was a hatch on the canopy directly in front of my balcony. The first port day, while my husband and I were sitting on the balcony looking at the white canopy instead of the water :-), a maintenance guy popped out of the hatch and proceeded to walk down the canopy to work on the window washing equipment, I assume. He gave us a big grin and a wave. We never felt comfortable after that leaving our balcony door unlocked or drapes open while we were in the cabin and not at sea. When we booked our Radiance cruise for this past spring, we made sure we were not anywhere near deck 7. I would never pay good money again for what I consider an obstructed view.

I am aware that your picture is in the stern but if I were to look at a picture of the forward end would I be right in counting the balconies from the forward towards aft as seen on the deck plans on the RCI site? If I look at the RCI deck plan for deck 7, if I count from cabin # 7006 to #7038 its 17 cabins. Now if I count 17 balconies on an exterior picture. would I be close to our cabin.

Quote from a famous inventor....."there is a reason for my madness"....

Yes.

I guess it's just a matter of taste and possibly how tall you are also but I did not like the fact that I could not stand or sit on my balcony and see the water. Plus, there was a hatch on the canopy directly in front of my balcony. The first port day, while my husband and I were sitting on the balcony looking at the white canopy instead of the water :-), a maintenance guy popped out of the hatch and proceeded to walk down the canopy to work on the window washing equipment, I assume. He gave us a big grin and a wave. We never felt comfortable after that leaving our balcony door unlocked or drapes open while we were in the cabin and not at sea. When we booked our Radiance cruise for this past spring, we made sure we were not anywhere near deck 7. I would never pay good money again for what I consider an obstructed view.

I can understand that you can't look straight down to the water but to say that you could not stand or sit on your balcony and not see the water is a bit of an exaggeration. When I sat on my balcony while we were at sea on the Jewel last week and looked out, I could definitely see the water(not the water directly below my balcony but just a few feet out). Same if I was standing. Is there something special about the water directly next to the boat that makes it more worthy of looking at? Perhaps I am missing something, but if that was my greatest complaint about my balcony cabin, I would count myself quite lucky.:rolleyes:

To clarify, when standing on the balcony of deck seven near the life boat cover, yes, you can still see water. However for example, while at port in Nassau, standing on my balcony, I could not see the dock we were next to, nor the bottom 5 to 6 decks of the ship docked next to us. So no people watching before sail away.

When people complain of not being able to see "straight down" to the water on a Radiance class ship, they mean this cover makes it so you can't see what's around the ship for a good 20-30 feet or more. No watching the harbor master pilot the boat out of port in St. Thomas, for example. It's the equivalent of being on a low floor of a hotel and looking out over the roof of other parts of the building - not the end of the world, but it's not as nice as looking straight out at the grounds or pool of the hotel complex.

On the AOS and other ships we have been on, there is a definite sense of "I am standing out on a balcony in the middle of the ocean". It is kind of hard to lose yourself to that feeling when there is a 15 foot overhang between you and the sea.

To clarify, when standing on the balcony of deck seven near the life boat cover, yes, you can still see water. However for example, while at port in Nassau, standing on my balcony, I could not see the dock we were next to, nor the bottom 5 to 6 decks of the ship docked next to us. So no people watching before sail away.

When people complain of not being able to see "straight down" to the water on a Radiance class ship, they mean this cover makes it so you can't see what's around the ship for a good 20-30 feet or more. No watching the harbor master pilot the boat out of port in St. Thomas, for example. It's the equivalent of being on a low floor of a hotel and looking out over the roof of other parts of the building - not the end of the world, but it's not as nice as looking straight out at the grounds or pool of the hotel complex.

On the AOS and other ships we have been on, there is a definite sense of "I am standing out on a balcony in the middle of the ocean". It is kind of hard to lose yourself to that feeling when there is a 15 foot overhang between you and the sea.

That is the balcony experience I would enjoy.

Wonderful way to celebrate your husband's 40th! Good for you! Now make it perfect by moving either down or away from the window washing and ship side maintenance which goes on ALL the time. The money you don't spend on an obstructed view will be more appreciated if spent on a parasail, excursion, or just buying something sexy for the trip!

The cabins on deck 7 above the life boat are considered obstructed view. You will not be able to look directly down to the water from your balcony. I have had cabins on deck 7 with this obstructed view and have had no problem with them. When you sit in the chairs and look out you cannot see the lifeboats just the sea. Also I'm afraid of heights so it's real rare that I will look directly down and actually knowing the lifeboat covers are there helps with this fear. I figure if I fall I'll have something to catch me.

I know it's irrational fear, you can't fall overboard without some real effort (or tons of liquor).

Just like the Brilliance mystery??