"A selection of wines by the glass...."?

Tarpeian Rock

The description of the Prestige Select beverage package states that included is "A selection of wines by the glass." In scanning the online wine lists for each dining venue, I didn't see any printed indication of which wines by the glass were included or excluded from the package. Can anyone provide any guidance for this? Thanks much.

Have a look at the O website and go to Explore Ships, select your ship, click Dining, choose a restaurant....and there along with your sample menus is the wine list, and towards the back you will find the By The Glass selection.

He's the Toscana wine list to get you going.......

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/documents/wine-lists/Toscana-Wine-List.pdf

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Have a look at the O website and go to Explore Ships' date=' select your ship, click Dining, choose a restaurant....and there along with your sample menus is the wine list, and towards the back you will find the By The Glass selection.

He's the Toscana wine list to get you going.......

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/documents/wine-lists/Toscana-Wine-List.pdf

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app[/quote']

Thanks for your response. Actually, I had already done that, and that's what resulted in my question. Maybe I've spent too many years working with contracts, because Oceania's use of the word "selection" caused me to infer that only a "selection" of wines by the glass were covered by the plan, and not necessarily every wine by the glass. So if it's offered by the glass, it's covered by the plan I take it? They'd better load more champagne........

Based on this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1623425 ,

the wines included in the packages are not the wines by the glass on the wine list but rather the wines by the glass on the bar menu (there is a slight difference between the two, the bar menu is a tad bit more limited but still a good selection).

Based on this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1623425 ,

the wines included in the packages are not the wines by the glass on the wine list but rather the wines by the glass on the bar menu (there is a slight difference between the two, the bar menu is a tad bit more limited but still a good selection).

Whoa! So is this saying that at dinner, say, at Polo, one can't choose wine by the glass as shown on the "by the glass" Polo menu, but under the package one has to ask for the separate BAR menu?

Whoa! So is this saying that at dinner, say, at Polo, one can't choose wine by the glass as shown on the "by the glass" Polo menu, but under the package one has to ask for the separate BAR menu?

That is correct, although there is often a cross pollination, so it pays to ask ;)

That is correct, although there is often a cross pollination, so it pays to ask ;)

Thanks. Seems awkward,though. I would have thought a more graceful way to handle this would have been to flag package-eligible wines on the main menu. Not looking forward to having to need an extra step at the beginning of each meal, or asking "is X included?" whenever we want to order a beverage should a bar menu not be available. Doesn't fit with what I had thought was the O vibe.

Thanks. Seems awkward,though. I would have thought a more graceful way to handle this would have been to flag package-eligible wines on the main menu. Not looking forward to having to need an extra step at the beginning of each meal, or asking "is X included?" whenever we want to order a beverage should a bar menu not be available. Doesn't fit with what I had thought was the O vibe.

If you think it's too ungraceful to ask for the bar menu or asking every meal, you might want to do a negative memorization on your first meal.

What I mean is that the bar menu contains most of the wines by the glass in the wine menu, so just memorize the few (I think only a handful) wines by the glass that aren't included and remember that those are the ones that you'd have to pay for.

My husband and I carefully studied the wine list before making our recent trip on Marina...even ordering obscure wines such as 401 chardonnay at home (not) to make sure we would have a selection that we enjoyed on our 12 day cruise. We decided to wait until we boarded the ship to decide on whether to select prestige package. Guest relations advised us to check selection of wines by the glass on board as they are subject to change. Once on board, the wines were the same as on the list, however we were told Perrier Jouet was not included which was a deal breaker.

Since we have returned some on this forum have advised that was a mistake due to confusion of personnel?!

Our traveling companions took the package. We came out about the same price wise at the end, however we were able to procure better wines than on the list by buying ashore and paying the corkage or buying the multi bottle packages. Cocktails, however, are very weak unless you order a double so they get you there when not on the package.

We had a great trip, but the whole wine/liquor thing with Oceania is a negative in my opinion. It is not as clear or easy as it should be and you still have to sign chits every time you have a drink even on the package.

Not true! You do not have to sign when on the Prestige Package. I defy anyone to find a better deal than $18 premier champagne per glass or the varieties of cognacs and fine spirits offered on the package.

Unless, as seems to have happened, they tell you that the champagne isn't covered under the prestige plan. I am truly amazed at the lack of clarity and consistency in this matter, and the varieties of staff encounters in this whole area. What should have been a pleasant and anticipated part of a fine meal or relaxing evening is shaping-up to be an exercise in agita, uncertainty, and wine list memorization. This is not the array of emotions I expected to bring to our first O cruise, and is at huge variance to the image nurtured by O's website description.

... recent trip on Marina... we were told Perrier Jouet was not included ...

Really? We were on Marina in April and Perrier Jouet was definitely included with the Prestige package. Is this a recent change?

We will be on Nautica in a couple of weeks. We have taken the Prestige beverage package. When we order wine with dinner, do we have to tell the waiter that we will likely have more than one glass of wine with dinner or do they usually just refill (almost without question) as they would if you had ordered a bottle of wine?

Has anyone specified, I will have this white with my appetizer and then a different wine with my entrée when they initially order?

I imagine if the waiter has already served us at a previous meal he/she would have a sense of our drinking pattern. Does it flow as well as if one has ordered a bottle?

I think I read somewhere that you get a discount if you buy say 3 or 5 bottles of wine at 1 go - is this true and if so what level of discount can we expect? Finally how much can we expect to pay for a Gin and Tonic. And many thanks to Jim and Stan for all the brilliant tips you have given prior to our cruise departing on Riviera on Wednesday our 26th cruise but first with Oceania. Thanks

I think I read somewhere that you get a discount if you buy say 3 or 5 bottles of wine at 1 go - is this true and if so what level of discount can we expect? Finally how much can we expect to pay for a Gin and Tonic.

The wine & the discount vary by cruise

You will get a sheet in the cabin with the listing of wine & discounts

G & T depends on the gin you want

Bombay is a bit more than than Tanqueray but roughly $8-$12

We will be on Nautica in a couple of weeks. We have taken the Prestige beverage package. When we order wine with dinner, do we have to tell the waiter that we will likely have more than one glass of wine with dinner or do they usually just refill (almost without question) as they would if you had ordered a bottle of wine?

Has anyone specified, I will have this white with my appetizer and then a different wine with my entrée when they initially order?

I imagine if the waiter has already served us at a previous meal he/she would have a sense of our drinking pattern. Does it flow as well as if one has ordered a bottle?

Waiters won't be serving the Wine, a Sommelier will, and you will need to be specific, as in "please keep this glass full", or "I'm changing to the Pinot for the Main Course".

One of the few drawbacks of Anytime Dining is that it is fairly unusual to be served by the same Sommelier, or waiter for that matter, unless you request specifically (as you enter the Dining Room) that you be seated in that staff-members' section.

The description of the Prestige Select beverage package states that included is "A selection of wines by the glass." In scanning the online wine lists for each dining venue, I didn't see any printed indication of which wines by the glass were included or excluded from the package. Can anyone provide any guidance for this? Thanks much.

Every wine offered by the glass, whether it is on a wine list or the bar menu, is included in the Prestige Select Beverage Package.

Best-

KSK

Archived