"Bon Voyage Experience" on Oceania Ships?

Smokeyham

Does anyone know if Oceania offers a "Bon Voyage" experience, similiar to what Princess offers?

If you are not familiar with this, it is a program where you go on board the ship for about four hours when the ship is embarking passengers for a new cruise, and get to experience a cruise ship lunch and to see the ship.

A friend mentioned that she has friends who have done this, and she it thought it was on an Oceania ship, but was not 100% sure. I've looked on the Oceania website, but have not seen a listing for this. We've done this on Princess, and really enjoyed it. It would be great to be able to see an Oceania ship as well.

I Googled "oceania ship tour" and found this page on the Oceania website for tours of Regatta in Sept/Oct in Canada:

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/shiptour/default.aspx

Notice you have to supply a TA name and agency IATA/CLIA number.

On embarkation day on my recent Alaska Regatta cruise in May, there was a huge number of folks taking the tour, so much so that they were split into several groups each with its own guide. They got on the ship before the pax, and enjoyed a champagne reception with the Captain. Lots of them appeared to be non-TAs (perhaps retired folks looking to cruise on another line and, as suggested by a previous poster, invited by their TA?)

I think it is by invitation only via your TA

You could always ask Oceania

They contact you with an invitation.....it is not all that common and indeed rare. I received a phone call when Marina was in Hawaii. about a week in advance

Most or the vast majority of Oceana customers are also very experienced passengers who know what they want....they don't need anymore enticement.

Princess is a very different product seeking those who have never set foot on a ship and need to be sold.

They contact you with an invitation.....it is not all that common and indeed rare. I received a phone call when Marina was in Hawaii. about a week in advance

Most or the vast majority of Oceana customers are also very experienced passengers who know what they want....they don't need anymore enticement.

Princess is a very different product seeking those who have never set foot on a ship and need to be sold.

So my thinking was correct

I do not believe it is all that rare on the mainland USA

We have been on the ship a few times on turnaround day when the TA's come aboard many with some of their clients

YMMV

Thanks to our travel agent, we have enjoyed lunch and a tour aboard Seabourn, Silversea, Crystal, Regent, Celebrity, RCCL and NCL ships while they were visiting Maui. While the passengers were seeing the sights ashore, we were seeing the sights onboard. The group of guests has usually been small and accompanied by our agent and an area sales representative from the cruise line. If you get a chance to be invited, go for it!!

Back when Marina was new, I tried and tried to get an invite when she came to NYC for the first time. Couldn't do it. Even wrote to you know who. Anyway drove in and parked on the pier. Took my blue Oceania water bottle with me. Couldn't get on. We walked on the parking garage and got a good look at her. There were lots of invited guests getting tours. I was told O didn't want to deprive me of the joy of boarding for the first time as a PAYING guest.

Back when Marina was new, I tried and tried to get an invite when she came to NYC for the first time. Couldn't do it. Even wrote to you know who. Anyway drove in and parked on the pier. Took my blue Oceania water bottle with me. Couldn't get on. We walked on the parking garage and got a good look at her. There were lots of invited guests getting tours. I was told O didn't want to deprive me of the joy of boarding for the first time as a PAYING guest.

It's too bad they don't offer this program. I've been on two Bon Voyage Experiences in the last couple of months, and have taken friends who have never been on a cruise before. Some have become very enthusiastic about cruises, and are now planning their first cruise.

If Oceania has mostly repeat or experienced cruisers, then I can see where it may not worth their while.

Many people nowadays do not use travel agents, so making that the only way to get on board for a tour would not seem to be a good marketing strategy.

Oceaina is not an entry level, first time cruiser experience and is at the top of the spectrum.

As I said , I think 99% of the passengers are very knowledgeable and very well traveled people . They already know what they want and where to find it. They dont need to be sold:cool:

It's too bad they don't offer this program. I've been on two Bon Voyage Experiences in the last couple of months, and have taken friends who have never been on a cruise before. Some have become very enthusiastic about cruises, and are now planning their first cruise.

If Oceania has mostly repeat or experienced cruisers, then I can see where it may not worth their while.

Many people nowadays do not use travel agents, so making that the only way to get on board for a tour would not seem to be a good marketing strategy.

Unlike the mass market lines, the entire Oceania fleet sails all over the Globe. If they have as many as thirty United States Port calls in a given year, I would be surprised.

It isn't like Carnival where they can tell people, "Any time that you are in New York, Los Angeles, or Miami, come see our ships".

Showing the ships internationally is a more complicated situation.

You are thinking of the package offered by Princess Cruises whereby friends of departing pax can book (and pay) and they get a tour of the ship plus lunch in the main dining room and some promotional material for future itineraries. Princess use it as a promotional and sales tool to attract and build new business . All cruise lines should do it, not just Princess .

It is bad enough when you have 400 + TA's & clients getting on the ship & you are delayed because of it

The ship is so crowded

Do not think we need more people wandering around

JMO

Maybe I am just selfish & want a nice quiet lunch on embarkation day

lyn

It is bad enough when you have 400 + TA's & clients getting on the ship & you are delayed because of it

The ship is so crowded

Do not think we need more people wandering around

JMO

Maybe I am just selfish & want a nice quiet lunch on embarkation day

lyn

Lyn, your so right and the worst is if your on a b/b and they want to come into your suite any time you open the door. Unfortunately or fortunately we will have 3 embarkation days in Miami which I have read is the worst.:mad:

Lyn, your so right and the worst is if your on a b/b and they want to come into your suite any time you open the door. Unfortunately or fortunately we will have 3 embarkation days in Miami which I have read is the worst.:mad:

Well then thank goodness we are never in a suite ;)

We have been subject to this on a couple of B2B's ..we usually go off for the day but once we tried to go back to drop off our jackets & it was a nightmare to get back onboard

Good luck

Lyn

Archived