Cabin option for me, dh and dd15 and dd17

wrg

Hello all,

We will be taking our first family cruise and need help with deciding what type of cabin. We don't want to spend a ton of money on the cabin, but want to be comfortable. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

What cruise line? What budget? When you narrow it down, I suggest looking on YouTube to get a realistic idea of what the room looks like. Search something like “ncl Dawn mini suite” and you will find video tours :) And people here or on the cruise line specific forum will probably be able to provide photos with all the beds made up so you can see what it would look like at night.

Are your daughters open to sharing a sofa bed? Or do you need an option with either 2 Pullman’s or a Pullman and a sofa?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't believe they would mind sharing a sofa bed if it were a queen size. A double is too small. Bunks might work too. Thank you for the Youtube reference.

We always book a balcony for us and put our kids in an inside across the hall. It is so worth it to have separate rooms and 2 bathrooms when it is time to get ready.

We cruise Carnival because, for the most part, that has given us the most bang for our buck.

Price doing two inside cabins...connecting if possible...but not necessary...at least next door.

Balcony for you and inside for the girls might work too...price your options.

Best of luck and enjoy.

Carnival's standard cabin is 185 sq. ft (all measurements INCLUDE the bathroom space). Some ships have much smaller cabins...in the 155 range....it's TIGHT! Some of the smaller, older ships have less than 121 sq. ft spaces.

Even in a larger cabin, privacy is nonexistent.....pullmans are over the main bed...and a sofa bed takes up all the floor space, with simply a path to the bathroom!

Get a balcony for you and an inside cabin for the kids....across the hall is fine with older teens like yours. You will be much more comfortable. If you want connecting cabins, book early!

We had connecting cabins on our last 2 cruises with royal and it was very nice having extra space and an extra bathroom. My kids are younger than yours and we’ve done the 4 in one cabin and it was cramped.

With two teenage girls, definitely go with two cabins - two insides if you must or a balcony for you and an inside for the girls. Two bathrooms will be invaluable and save your sanity. The sofabeds are small and will really only fit two little children.

We are a family of 5 and (1 tween and two teen boys) we sail in a family suite on carnival. We have plenty of room with an extra shower and sink. I personally am just more comfortable with all my kids in the same room so this works for us. It’s a great value which is great bc my family would rather spend the money on excursions and flights instead of driving to port.

• 2 weeks later...

We have 2 girls, both now young adults, and have always booked an inside quad! Yes, there is only 1 bathroom, but that is all we have in our NYC apartment! It is really not such a big problem! And we consider it like camping out, with 4 in a room. We have a great time all together, and rarely are all in the cabin at the same time except for sleeping.

We love to save our money for excursions, or souvenirs, instead of extra rooms.

• 3 months later...

I would recommend two cabins as well.  We have sailed with connecting insides, side-by-side balconies (opened, so you could walk outside to each other’s rooms), and will be trying next door cabins with no connection for Spring Break.  I would hope it goes well, since our teens bedrooms are further away in our own home, than they will be on the ship.