• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Port of Call: Nha Trang Nha Trang

tour name: Nha Trang Special Countryside + River Cruise

Organized by: Dung Pham tours
$60 USD/person for a group of 10 tourists

Vessel: Ovation of The Seas, RC, 16 oct 2018

This was our 2nd visit to Nha Trang port.  Having done in 2017 a Royal Carribean Nha Trang city tour, and having being somehow disappointed, this time I was looking for a more real-life oriented tour with a smaller group of people.
After having evaluated several options through Internet I can say that the Dung Pham tours was the winning choice: Dung Pham is offering small groups tailored tours also allowing great interaction and proactivity to help looking for the necessary fellows passengers, each of them dealing directly with him for the final arrangements.  
Our group was supposed to be 9 people but unfortunately 2 fellow passengers had a last minute problem and could not participate, but this did not affect the schedule and the price per person.

We easily met our guide Denny just at the entrance of the port (some 500 mt from the tenders drop point), unfortunately quite late around 9:30 (while they were waiting for us since 7:30!!) due to long debarcation time via RC tenders, so our excursion -that was taking the whole day in Nhat Trang- had to be trimmed a little. Originally our guide Danny, mr. Dang Nguyen, didn't mean to visit the Orphanage, but a nice couple in our group that did this tour one year ago recommended this visit so we re-arranged the schedule and included the orphanage plus the embroidery factory as well (they wanted to purchase something), but we had to trim the ancient house and the Ponagar Cham temple.

So we went first to purchase some food as offer for the orphanage in a local market (an experience by itself!!) and then headed to the Cai river for the river cruise. This was an opportunity to see a slice of local life along the river: rice paddies, fishermens, beautiful scenery along the banks, orchards and farmers. We stopped under a very intersting wooden "toll" bridge for motorcicles, linking a river island.
Then we visited a house with 2 ladies weaving mats from rushes which grow nearby. The working process is very rural, it was interesting to see such type of artisanal work since surely won't last for long:  two ladies working together can weave four mats a day, sold or traded at very low price.
After that we visited the Pagoda Orphanage: here some Buddhist noons and other volunteers care of 25 abandoned children plus handle a charity school for around 100 kids of poor families. This was very interesting and touching moment. We delivered our small gifts to the kids and they singed a thanksgiving song for us.
Then we had a good local lunch in a very pleasant restaurant veranda on the Cai river, under the shadow of some trees. During the lunch mr. Dung Pham reached us and surprised me offering a wonderful delicious birthday cake: it was my birthday and I didn't even remember to have communicated my birthday date to him, and the surprise was really great and unexpected, contributing to make this day even more special to me. We shared the cake after lunch with joy.
After lunch we visited a Conical hat making family: two ladies (mother and daugther) are making the traditional conical hats and it was very interesting to admire the manual skill and the work behind.
The following visit to a Rice paper making location was really interesting: the thin rice paper used to wrap spring rolls are made from steamed rice and processed in a very primitive way into round piece that are later dried in the sun on bamboo brackets.
We then reached a hill to visit the 48 mtrs tall Amitabha Buddha statue.
After we had a 30 minutes stop in Dam Market, a place plenty of cheap tourist supply but also some interesting local foods. I would personally have avoided this stop.
The last stop was the embroidery factory where some valuable piece of arts are produced, for a quite high price.
We went back to ship 30 minutes before the last tender.

The tour was good and interesting, surely better than the equivalent offered by Royal Caribbean that we took last year. My only recommendation would be to insist to include the ancient Ponagar Cham temple, that I visited last year and I believe should not be missed, since this looks like the most interesting historical spot in the area (while for example the Amitabha Buddha statue is quite modern and could be skipped without regrets).

On 9/3/2018 at 3:56 PM, roberts2005 said:

How long is the walk to the outer gate where you meet the guide. I have read everything from 10 minutes to 20 minutes

Hi roberts2005, here below you can see the map: meeting point could be either location 1 or 2 and the distance is no more than 500m (i.e. 5 minutes).  With Royal Caribbean Ovation Of The Seas on Oct 16, 2018 the tenders where doking at "Princess" point in the map and our meeting was at point "1".

Nha Trang Port.jpg

3 hours ago, nemothecaptain said:

Hi roberts2005, here below you can see the map: meeting point could be either location 1 or 2 and the distance is no more than 500m (i.e. 5 minutes).  With Royal Caribbean Ovation Of The Seas on Oct 16, 2018 the tenders where doking at "Princess" point in the map and our meeting was at point "1".

Nha Trang Port.jpg

Thank you

• 3 weeks later...

Hi looking for other cruisers to join the below tour room for 6 more.

Ship - Celebrity constellation 28th January 2019 port - chang may

The photos of the coconut boats and water buffalo look amazing.

ll: Tien Sa in Danang ( or Chan May Port )
Combination of Countryside - River - City Tour in Hoian 
$60 USD/person if you are in a group of 10 tourists 
Our tour guide and driver will pick you up outside the Port to avoid port fees ( Time to pick up as your cruiseship schedule and You walk about 10 Minutes out of the Port to meet our guide. He 's holding a sign board with your name on it.
Depart for Hoi An and then Cam Thanh Village. You will be Warmly welcomed by a local family of 3 generations with green tea. Then enjoy rowing a basket boat with the help of skillful local people, learning their traditional fishing techniques in the water coconut forest.
- Leave Cam Thanh Village for Hoi An Town to take a leisurely walk to see a Japanese Covered Bridge, Tan Ky Ancient House, Hoi An Cultural and Historical Museum, Chinese assembly hall, Local Market. Then You get on local Boat to go to Thanh Ha- a pottery village. See how craftsmen making their products and enjoy the peace of the village. Next stop will be a rice paddy field to take photos with water Buffalo or you can ride on water Buffalo and learn how to keep balance on Water Buffalo.
After that pay a visit to a local family house for lunch with local Authentic Food ( Rice Pancake, Spring Rolls, Steamed Shrimp & Pork, Mackerel Barbecued Fish, Morning Glory cooked with Garlic, Steamed rice, Seasonal Fruits ) . Then you will enjoy a traditional therapeutic foot bath with medicinal herbs and massage. Tour ends with drop-off at the cruise ship port .
Tour includes: van, local guide, entrance fees, lunch, river boat, foot massage. 
Tour excludes: Drinks and other services.

http://nhatrangrivertour.com/vietnamshoreexcursions.htm

https://www.tripadvisor.co.nz/Attraction_Review-g293928-d2182753-Reviews-Pham_Tours-Nha_Trang_Khanh_Hoa_Province.html

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Avileshem said:

We are going on this tour

avi & Judith leshem

moshe & etti nattiv

Hi,

Are you going on the same tour as me mentioned #59?

If so are you one same dates and ship? You can email me karenken100@hotmail.com

Edited by karenuk2004

10 hours ago, Avileshem said:

We are going on this tour

avi & Judith leshem

moshe & etti nattiv

5 hours ago, karenuk2004 said:

Hi,

Are you going on the same tour as me mentioned #59?

If so are you one same dates and ship? You can email me karenken100@hotmail.com

No we are not 

• 3 months later...

Nha Trang Shore excursion, Country side tour with river cruise

During our Holland America, Maasdam South East Asia Highlights cruise we booked a private shore excursion in Nha Trang through Pham tours and had a fantastic day. Sadly we were only in port for half a day however Mr Huy, our guide was able to fit in several highlights in the time we had without feeling rushed at any time. Mr Huy was a great guide, very knowledgeable on the area and its history and has a great sense of humour that made for a fun tour. We were a group of 10 people which was a perfect size group to tour with. We stopped at the embroidery shop and yes, as several previous reviews have mentioned this is a "shopping stop" but definately worth the visit, to see the time and craftsmanship that these ladies put into each piece is amazing and definately worth a visit, the pieces they have on display are simply stunning and while they are available to purchase we didn't encounter any "in your face hard sell tactics" like we did in other places. We then went on a river cruise on the Cai river and got to see several little villages along the way and a feel for how the locals live ending at a rickety old bridge that locals use to cross the river which gets wiped out in floods every year during wet season and they just rebuild again once rains have ended.
Drove through some working rice paddy fields with water buffalo along the road on the way to the large Amitabha Buddha, visited a local family home where they make conical hats to sell at the markets, a rice paper making factory then finished of at another local home where they weave mats that are used for several things like bedding, floor mats, table place mats etc, all stops were very interesting and a great insight into the local life.
Mr Huy made a point of offering to take photos for everyone throughout the tour and constantly provided information on the area, it's people and history. He was conscious of the fact we only had a short time onshore and timed everything perfectly to ensure we were back at the ship well within time.
Unfortunately one of the group became ill during the tour however Mr Huy went out of his way to arrange private transport back to the ship and followed up a short time later to ensure she arrived back ok and let us all know so we didnt have to worry for the rest of the tour.
Would have loved to have had more time in Nha Trang to explore more but the whole group enjoyed the tour and i highly recommend that anyone stopping in Nha Trang to contact Pham to arrange a tour, he was great to deal with, very quick to respond to all queries and booking process was very easy. If you can, request Mr Huy and you will be guaranteed a great day in Nha Trang. We will definately be coming back and touring more with them

20190224_083538.jpg

20190224_084226.jpg

20190224_093705.jpg

20190224_103618.jpg

20190224_110039.jpg

20190224_122551.jpg

• 9 months later...

Dec. 28, 2019, our group had the Countryside tour from Dung Pham with Danny our guide. It was a wonderful day, full of interesting sites and information. Danny is outstanding making each person feel important, and has such a great smile and sense of humour. The highlight for me was the Pagoda and school, with the great meal what was prepared for us. Danny was consider it of everyone's dietary needs, which can be daunting at times.

One day was not enough in Nha Trang and we look forward to going back to see more of a wonderful place.

• 3 years later...

We have just returned from our world cruise on Queen Mary 2 and on the 21st February were docked in Phu My in Vietnam. A small group of us booked the Ho Chi Minh city tour with trishaw ride our guide was Ben. 

We were met at the port gate, which we had to get to from the ship, and travelled to the heart of the city. Ben was a very good guide and kept us entertained on the journey, and our driver kept our belongings safe. We visited a Pagoda, Lacquerware factory, coffee at a local cafe. Lunch was traditional Vietnamese and very well presented, the highlight was the trishaw ride through the city, Ben turned up in different places to take pictures and videos. We then had free time at the market to barter with the locals for any souvenirs. Ben got us back to the ship in plenty of time a superb and well organised private tour that I will fully recommend 

15.jpeg

12.jpeg

6a0cb54b-323a-4092-a90b-1ad99652f0eb.jpeg

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Pham tours really went out of their way to make our 3 shore excursions with them, the best ever! The guides in Ho Chin Minh city, Nha Trang and Bana hills were all great! The tour included superb restaurants to try out the local Vietnamese cuisine. We are vegetarians and we didnt have any problem!! Loved the separate inclusion of the Vietnamese coffee at every port stop too! The transport was great. The guides met us on time at the ports and dropped us back on time too! Really recommend Pham tours to everyone! We missed the rickshaw ride in one port but Pham made sure we do it in the following port the next day!
Well done Pham! Our Vietnam trip was super coz of your well planned tours! We did the Ho Chin Minh City tour, Nha Trang countryside tour and the Bana Hill tour with him.

Have just returned from our trip though Thailand & Vietnam. Took the Pham tours from Phu My Port through to Long Tan, Ba Ria Tunnels & Vung Tau. 

Our guide Huong was AMAZING and so full of information. She was generous and kind, and was happy to tailor experiences to our needs, as we had 2 young children with us too. I would have no hesitations in booking with Pham Tours again - nor with recommending them to others. Communication was quick, easy and met all of our needs. Thank you to both Huong and Mr Pham!