Help with Packing for Sept Canada Cruise

Debinnova

We will be on a Canada New England cruise this fall in mid September. I am unsure as to how to pack. I am assuming that I will bring layers, and wondering if I would bring a couple of capri style pants and mostly long pants? Jeans? Khakis?

Looking for suggestions from ladies as to what others have done. We will be flying and staying a few days in Québec city before the cruise, so I'm somewhat limited luggage wise.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my KFTHWA using Tapatalk HD

We have done a Sept. C/NE cruise twice. I wore long pants all the time (but I am not a capris person). One year I wore sweater and down jacket almost every day, and one year I wore much lighter tops (long sleeve jersey, occasional light jacket). Of course, your weather could be different again.

You are right; layers are the way to go.

Hi have had 2 Canada New England cruises In September. Last one was more late September into October.

Definitely layers and I also had scarf, hats and gloves too. More casual dress during day for comfort and we had heavy duty shoes or boots.

From the U.K. we had to be aware of luggage allowance but we managed to pack well. It’s a fabulous cruise, with great ports. Have a wonderful time. Jean.

I’m jumping in here to see any other replies since I’m also going on a late September/early October NE/Canada cruise. To add a question—Is the Solarium pool on Grandeur of the Seas warm enough for swimming?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I’m jumping in here to see any other replies since I’m also going on a late September/early October NE/Canada cruise. To add a question—Is the Solarium pool on Grandeur of the Seas warm enough for swimming?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You probably should ask the question regarding the solarium pool on a RCI post. This category I believe is for Canadian ports of call.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

We have cruised Canada/New England in October. We are New Englanders, so we know to pack for changable autumn weather, especially on the water which can be very chilly even on a nice day. Pack lightweight layers to wear on top, and I do recommend slacks instead of capris. Not only is is often cool, we have some tick and mosquito-borne illnesses afoot in the Northeast (Lyme, Powassan, West Nile, EEE, to name a few). Walking through beach grass or woodlands, long pants are smart. I regularly swim through October in Boston, so I always bring my swimsuit. On the Norwegian Dawn we get a spa pass, so swimming and hot tubs are an everyday event.

I found myself unprepared for how breezy and cold Quebec City was up on the hill and ended up purchasing (overpriced) knit caps for me and my husband at the funicular gift shop. Another day during an excursion on the water we were both freezing and wished we had dressed warmer. The pashmina I was wearing made a lightweight imrpomptu blanket. Those dollar store stretchy gloves were a Godsend (my DH didn’t even care that his were pink). If you carry a day bag or rucksack, throw in a hat and gloves, and a lightweight jacket, too.

Edited by descal13
error

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh wow. Thanks for the info! We'll be in Maine, Saint John and Halifax from Sept 16-23. I was packing mostly shorts for the day and pants for dinner. Wondering if shorts will be to cold when touring during the day?!

Oh wow. Thanks for the info! We'll be in Maine, Saint John and Halifax from Sept 16-23. I was packing mostly shorts for the day and pants for dinner. Wondering if shorts will be to cold when touring during the day?!

You never know what the weather will be in Sept

last year in Halifax it was in the mid 60's to mid 70's during the day

https://www.accuweather.com/en/ca/halifax/b3p/september-weather/49538?monyr=9/1/2017

You may want to pack a pr of long pants just in case

Long pants or capris for some ports, you'll be glad you did. I'm on last cruise of the season, Quebec to Ft. L., will bring capris and pants. I don't travel with jeans, too heavy. I can pack 2 cotton twill khakis to 1 pair of jeans. I never travel with jeans, although I wear them all the time in Wisconsin! :)

Everything on a NE cruise is about layers. I've lived by Lake Michigan forever packing for cooler weather (notice I didn't say cold) is easy. I realize tough decisions if 50's seem cold. The key is staying dry, if it is rainy, damp or foggy. I'm older and cooler + damp bothers me more than sunshine, cold temps.

It can vary from day to day. We sailed last October to Saint John and Halifax. Saint John was overcast, damp, and chilly (probably 50's) and we were glad to have long pants. Halifax (the next day) was sunny, dry, and a little warm (low 70's). We peeled off layers that day :)

So looking at weather averages, it likely could be between 50 and 75 degrees in ports. As far as capris pants go, I'm assuming since it is mid to late September and up north, not many local people would be wearing capris at that time of year no matter the weather, correct? I definitely plan on taking things to layer as far as shirts and jackets.

I think my plan will be to take mostly long pants and a couple of cropped or capris. I'm thinking the capri pants might work on the ship since it will be temperature controlled and I'm usually warm.

I've never had this much trouble packing for a trip. But 15 nights and unknown weather makes it tough. I am prone to over pack but flying, so need to take much less.

Hard to say about the locals do as people here in NE Wisc. wear shorts & capris for low 50's, sometimes with a zipper hoodie! :) Wear what suits you best and if you wear capris I would bring a pair or 2, for on the ship or if it gets to 70.

So looking at weather averages, it likely could be between 50 and 75 degrees in ports. As far as capris pants go, I'm assuming since it is mid to late September and up north, not many local people would be wearing capris at that time of year no matter the weather, correct? I definitely plan on taking things to layer as far as shirts and jackets.

I think my plan will be to take mostly long pants and a couple of cropped or capris. I'm thinking the capri pants might work on the ship since it will be temperature controlled and I'm usually warm.

I've never had this much trouble packing for a trip. But 15 nights and unknown weather makes it tough. I am prone to over pack but flying, so need to take much less.

You will absolutely see locals wearing capris if the weather is nice. Recommending what to wear is difficult since one person might find the weather freezing, while others, like us, will be in shorts and a short sleeve shirt. Average temperatures might be 50 - 75, but indian summer can make temps even higher. Go with layers and make sure you have an outer waterproof layer. A waterproof layer also works well as a windbreaker.

You know how you tolerate cooler temperature, if you are one that runs cold, pack accordingly. I know when we have done NE/Canada in October, we brought jeans, capris and shorts. DH was in shorts the whole time, I was in capris most of the time. I had a hoodie and a Columbia breathable waterproof jacket but never needed both at the same time.

Thanks for all the info.....I will definitely pack a pair of gloves for my mid October cruise. I am from Pa so I wear shorts into mid October and Capris into November. I think I will throw a pair or two into my luggage just in case there is a warm day.