Newport, RI ideas/recommendations?

shadowmeboy

In my opinion each mansion has a special uniqueness. That being said, I view the Breakers as the grandest of all of the Preservation Society properties and because of it's grandeur many people see it as 'the best.' While Marble House is not as large, I see it as the most guilded and ostentatious. Women ruled society in the Guilded Age and Alva Erskine Smith Vanderbilt Belmont was one of the most dynamic individuals and to me this is evident at Marble House.

There is never a shortage of ways to spend your time in Newport. The tenders will drop you off in Perotti Park. Across the street (America's Cup Blvd.) are Long Wharf Mall and Brick Market. Both have lots of fun shops.

Just south of Perotti Park are Bowen's and Banister's Wharves. They are also filled with shops including two of my favorites, the Newport Mansion's Museum Store and Primavera.

If you are looking for ice cream (and who doesn't) I love Sprinkles on Bowen's Wharf. It is right next to Diego's. On the other side of Diego's is the Cookie Jar mmmmmm.

Marble House, trolley to start of Cliff Walk, Cliff Walk to The Breakers.

What kind of time are we looking at from getting off the ship to the bus station and then the above itinerary followed by the return to the ship ? We were thinking of getting off the cruise ship around 8:30 am.

This is assuming we spend 1 - 1 1/2 hours at each mansion.... Thanks in advance D&N

What kind of time are we looking at from getting off the ship to the bus station and then the above itinerary followed by the return to the ship ? We were thinking of getting off the cruise ship around 8:30 am.

This is assuming we spend 1 - 1 1/2 hours at each mansion.... Thanks in advance D&N

It is less than a 10 minute walk (each direction) from the tender docks <> bus terminal. Buses depart every 20 minutes (or less depending on the time). According to the bus schedule, the travel time to MH is 17 minutes; less from the Breakers.

IMHO, there is nothing worthwhile to view from the start of CW and then to end it at the Breakers?????? I understand stopping at the Breakers to tour the Breakers but you are missing the best part of CW. I believe the best part of CW is between the Forty Steps (Narragansett Ave) and Marine Ave. See #1 under **Native Advice**.

I am not able to confirm that a trolley would take you to the start of Cliff Walk on Memorial Blvd. Maybe, it is new. There is a trolley that follows the route #67 bus route.

SBtS

It is less than a 10 minute walk (each direction) from the tender docks <> bus terminal. Buses depart every 20 minutes (or less depending on the time). According to the bus schedule, the travel time to MH is 17 minutes; less from the Breakers.

IMHO, there is nothing worthwhile to view from the start of CW and then to end it at the Breakers?????? I understand stopping at the Breakers to tour the Breakers but you are missing the best part of CW. I believe the best part of CW is between the Forty Steps (Narragansett Ave) and Marine Ave. See #1 under **Native Advice**.

I am not able to confirm that a trolley would take you to the start of Cliff Walk on Memorial Blvd. Maybe, it is new. There is a trolley that follows the route #67 bus route.

SBtS

This is correct. You would have to get off the bus by the Tennis Hall of Fame (which is worth a photo and a free peek at the courts) and then walk down Memorial Blvd toward the beach (not seen on the map) to Cliff Walk. After The Breakers, continue on the Cliff Walk and then take the bus back to dock.

Fyi: Salve Regina University is a great place to use the bathrooms and grab lunch or a snack.

Edited by Something fun!

If you don't want to actually walk much, just use the suggested route and walk from the Marble House via Cliff Walk to Breakers. But if you are able and enjoy walking, you will have time to listen to all the audio at both houses and do more of the walk unless you are extremely slow.

We are in port from 11am to 6pm on a Friday.

At 415 days till sailing, we are currently leaning towards doing a schooner sailing on the Adirondack II. It seems like an enjoyable time. I am not opposed to doing something else.

As I mentioned before, I am not interested in doing a mansions tour. It’s our final port stop, so I want a relaxing excursion.

We just took a harbor cruise on the Aquidneck with Sightsailing of Newport and we loved it. We have also been on both the Madeleine and the Rum Runner with Classic Cruises of Newport. They all depart from Bowen’s Wharf which is a short walk from Perotti Park

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We just took a harbor cruise on the Aquidneck with Sightsailing of Newport and we loved it. We have also been on both the Madeleine and the Rum Runner with Classic Cruises of Newport. They all depart from Bowen’s Wharf which is a short walk from Perotti Park

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for the suggestions.