How to prepare for an Asian cruise?

txflood33

So my wife and I have cruised a little Europe, and have decided to try Asia.

We are on the X Millenium March 2020.

Depart from Hong Kong>Taipei, Taiwan>Nagasaki, Japan>Busan, S Korea>Jeju Island, S Korea> Beijing, China(Tianjin)>Seoul, S Korea>Shanghai, China

While I'm open to what to see/do/avoid, I'm more looking for how did you plan to get around/communicate?

When we were in Italy, we had no problem with basic communication as we know quite a bit of Spanish and the languages are similar. In Greece, everyone spoke English. Turkey was much more difficult even reading signs for transportation.

I am trying to get a big jump on things to give time to learn basic phrases if need be.

Will we find English speaking people? Are signs in the airport in both Chinese and English? Are there certain phrases I should learn?...I had planned on having the phrases on my phone in text translated to the appropriate language...Is there an app that could help with this? Does said app work without cell/wifi service?(I'm undecided on paying for international service yet) I had also planned on having the phone numbers to US embassies in each country just in case.

Will these countries accept UD$ or will I have to convert in each country?

I'm sure I'm forgetting something. I'm just trying to make sure I have enough time to learn some phrases/get a visa/etc...hence starting so early.

Any advice from someone who has traveled this or a similar path would be appreciated. I just don't want to be the stereotypical American traveler.

We are on the X Millenium March 2020. One of our favorite ships...we sailed on her back in 2000.

Depart from Hong Kong>Taipei, Taiwan>Nagasaki, Japan>Busan, S Korea>Jeju Island, S Korea> Beijing, China(Tianjin)>Seoul, S Korea>Shanghai, China

While I'm open to what to see/do/avoid, I'm more looking for how did you plan to get around/communicate? Much like in Europe or any other ports, there will be shuttles, taxis, metro or subway available at most of the Asian ports. Communicating can be a little difficult in China...but easier in South Korea, Japan, and Hong Kong.

When we were in Italy, we had no problem with basic communication as we know quite a bit of Spanish and the languages are similar. In Greece, everyone spoke English. Turkey was much more difficult even reading signs for transportation.

I am trying to get a big jump on things to give time to learn basic phrases if need be.

Will we find English speaking people? Are signs in the airport in both Chinese and English? Are there certain phrases I should learn?...I had planned on having the phrases on my phone in text translated to the appropriate language...Is there an app that could help with this? Does said app work without cell/wifi service?(I'm undecided on paying for international service yet) I had also planned on having the phone numbers to US embassies in each country just in case. Yes, you'll find English speaking people...in Hong Kong, everyone speaks English...some with British accents. Yes, signs at the airport are both in Chinese and English. Yes, sounds like you're already ahead of this game..."Hello, Thank you, Excuse me, Where is, How much" are good phrases to know in different languages. You may have to google apps translation. Note: In Japan and S. Korea, it's best to approach a "younger" person...it is likely that the young ones will know how to speak English.

Will these countries accept UD$ or will I have to convert in each country? You will need local currencies for each country. You can get local currencies before you leave home or use ATM's at each country when you get there. The ship may also have local currencies available at guest services but it will be limited..Credit cards are accepted at most restaurants and major shopping areas.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something. I'm just trying to make sure I have enough time to learn some phrases/get a visa/etc...hence starting so early. You have plenty of time, it will be fun. Another thing to consider are the local customs...bargaining/negotiating, tipping, and just like anywhere else, some people are rude and some are polite.

Any advice from someone who has traveled this or a similar path would be appreciated. I just don't want to be the stereotypical American traveler.

You will definitely stand out...now way around it. Prepare for the humidity and heat. If there's one thing you need to bring with you....bring a smile. :)

You have already received some correct replies... so just some additional info.

We did the same cruise in March this year and it was fabulous!

- Airports will not be a problem.

- People in Hong Kong (most) speak English.

- Hotel recommendation in HK The Kowloon Hotel

- If there are places you want to see independently in S. Korea, Taiwan etc. it helps to have the names written down in local language.

Taxi drivers do not necessarily speak English and can not read English.

- USD are not always welcome. Taxis in S. Korea and China only take local currency (cash)

- get a credit card with no ATM and/or foreign currency fees and get cash as you go.

- Plan PLENTY of time for your return flight in Shanghai. Both times we were there we arrived 7 hours late (storm, fog) and could not leave the ship before 4 pm.

- you will need a Chinese Visa, the transit rule does not apply for this itinerary.

- should you stay in Shanghai the Les Suites Orient Hotel is great

We planned our excursions in Beijing with Chinahighlights - exeptional.

We arrived a day late because of fog and they refunded one day, reorganized everything etc. - perfect.

You will be happy to hear that Millennium (beuatiful already) will be a brandnew ship in 2020. She will undergo the Rovolution-program Spring 2019.

If you have any questions just shoot...

All things Google will not work in China. Google Maps is iffy even if you download the cities on to your phone. GMail worked for me for about two days then it stopped. In Hong Kong and Taiwan, Google works fine.

Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etal are all blocked within China, but in Hong Kong and Taiwan you'll have full access to them.

There's free wi-fi all over Taiwan, but if you need to enter your mobile telephone number to access you'll get a lot of spam text messages afterwards.

I spent three weeks in Shanghai when DH was in hospital after being taken off a cruise ship - four days alone at each end, since our son flew out for a fortnight.

A few things I learned:

Hotel doormen will get you a taxi and give your destination, even if you are not a guest at their hotel.

Hotel concierges will write destinations in local language if you are stuck.

A picture of your ship (or a card from your hotel) will help when getting directions.

People will help, and young people in particular want to try out their English.

Since then, we have cruised and taken several independent land tours in Asia and enjoyed every one.

BTW, it is hard to make yourself understood in Mandarin. Son practised the name of his hotel, but no taxi driver understood. When he showed the written name, they smiled and repeated what sounded to us exactly what he had said. Inflection is very important and difficult to get right.

• Thanks 1

One thing not mentioned here but was a pain for my wife was most of the public restrooms for women had the the floor level toilets that you squat over. The hotels we used had western sitting style. :)

This also applies to the boys side.:cool:

All things Google will not work in China. Google Maps is iffy even if you download the cities on to your phone. GMail worked for me for about two days then it stopped. In Hong Kong and Taiwan, Google works fine.

Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etal are all blocked within China, but in Hong Kong and Taiwan you'll have full access to them.

There's free wi-fi all over Taiwan, but if you need to enter your mobile telephone number to access you'll get a lot of spam text messages afterwards.

Back in April I forget which one I used but I downloaded a virtual VPN to my phone and paid for one month service (maybe $15) to keep from being blocked while in Beijing. I think I had to stay on data, if I switched to wifi it got blocked.

6ae3df8474c5ef5bf17eba5a529718dd.jpg

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

This is a good reminder. I knew China blocked parts of the internet, but it's not something I think about regularly. Good to know for maps/apps/etc

One thing not mentioned here but was a pain for my wife was most of the public restrooms for women had the the floor level toilets that you squat over. The hotels we used had western sitting style. :)

My wife will be thrilled to hear this lol

Back in April I forget which one I used but I downloaded a virtual VPN to my phone and paid for one month service (maybe $15) to keep from being blocked while in Beijing. I think I had to stay on data, if I switched to wifi it got blocked.

6ae3df8474c5ef5bf17eba5a529718dd.jpg

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

More good info. I already pay for a VPN service for my computer and it includes the app for my phone and tablet at no additional cost.

More good info. I already pay for a VPN service for my computer and it includes the app for my phone and tablet at no additional cost.

Me too, but have a Plan B.

We go to China every few years to see the in-laws. BIL says every couple of months he has to switch his VPN at home. His work has a gov't authorized VPN, but he can't "surf" there.

'we found than if you can find a handicapped stall it is usually western style

You beat me to that one! Another thing we learned was that if the guide suggests a toilet break, take his/her advice. They tend to know the more acceptable ones. Also, the dreaded shopping stops at tourist traps included in many tours usually have Western style toilets.

really great info by all...I greatly appreciate it....keep it coming...taking notes....I know I have a ways to go before we leave, but anything I can add to or check off of the list to be more prepared gives me peace of mind...more time to learn phases or research apps

I was happy to use the squat pots. No sitting on a dirty toilet. No waiting in line. Just do some exercises before you go and you will be fine. Hotels have Western seats.

Regarding public and not so public facilities like in restaurants or shops: BYOP! Bring Your Own Paper!

Napkins are not provided at the table either; there may be a packet of Kleenex tissue on the table in lieu of napkins.

We are on the X Millenium March 2020.

Hong Kong is wonderful. You can easily do Hong Kong on your own with some planning ahead. Buy the octopus card (discounted for seniors) at the airport. It is a swipe card for all public transportation and some stores. You'll get left over money back at the end when returning it at one of the ticket windows. - Note the exact subway exit number and letter for your destination. These underground stations are huge.

Jeju Island: We took a ship's tour to the female divers and a bonsai garden, was good. The port town did not look very promising.

Check with your MDs about shots that may be necessary including flu etc

I did think of this one, however, I thought I also read that China requires proof of vaccines. Is this something X will ask for when we board? Is it something we will need to keep with us in case we are asked(doubtful, but one never knows until asked)?

I did think of this one, however, I thought I also read that China requires proof of vaccines. Is this something X will ask for when we board? Is it something we will need to keep with us in case we are asked(doubtful, but one never knows until asked)?

Never traveled to China with proof of vaccinations and never was asked about it except for a line or two on the visa application.

However if your hacking, coughing, shivering, and looking blue/green while going through passport control all bets are off :fever:

I don't know if they do this at the port, but at the airport and train stations in Hong Kong they'll have a station where there are people with thermal imagers scanning you as you walk by. If you're a "hit" they ask you to step aside and take your temp and ask few questions. After SARS HK is very cautious about it. :confused:

Never traveled to China with proof of vaccinations and never was asked about it except for a line or two on the visa application.

However if your hacking, coughing, shivering, and looking blue/green while going through passport control all bets are off :fever:

I don't know if they do this at the port, but at the airport and train stations in Hong Kong they'll have a station where there are people with thermal imagers scanning you as you walk by. If you're a "hit" they ask you to step aside and take your temp and ask few questions. After SARS HK is very cautious about it. :confused:

Adding to that in April we spent 17 days on Ovation of the Seas and disembarked at Tianjin, never asked anywhere for proof of inoculations.