Problem? Montreal Triathalon Aug. 25-27

Ranasa

Sailing on HAL Veendam out of Montreal 8/25. I'll be staying in Old Montreal at the Springhill Suites from late on the 23rd through mid-morning 8/25. Are there any local who can comment on whether I should reevaluate my hotel choice?

I would not stay at a hotel in Old Montréal as the triathlon routes will be all over it.

According to the Port of Montreal website, your ship will berth at the T3 terminal which is in the industrial port downstream from the main passenger terminal in the Old Port. The entrance is at Boul PieX and Norte Dame well away from any of the triathlon activities.

Find a nice hotel in downtown Montreal and you should be fine.

Check the Port of Montréal website for all the details

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On August 25th I will be debarking from a cruise and staying at the Springhill Suites. I booked this hotel months ago because it was walking distance from the port. Will I still be able to walk to the hotel from the cruise port with luggage on August 25th or will the roads be closed? Now I'm worried. Any suggestions?

On August 25th I will be debarking from a cruise and staying at the Springhill Suites. I booked this hotel months ago because it was walking distance from the port. Will I still be able to walk to the hotel from the cruise port with luggage on August 25th or will the roads be closed? Now I'm worried. Any suggestions?

Check to see what at what terminal your ship will be berthing. If it is T3 it is definitely not walking distance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks. This is worrisome. The Triathalon website does not yet have details concerning road closures (which is what I'm mostly worried about to try to get to the port on Saturday morning). Based on past information available online, in 2016 the road closures weren't until Sunday but I really don't want to risk it.

I'm going to double-book myself with another Marriott property until information emerges. It's too bad because I was really looking forward to staying in Old Montreal and just walking to the sights.

Yes, the Veendam will be docked at T3. Since it is too far to walk especially with the thousands of people there for the triathalon which area should I be looking to find a hotel in that will not be too affected by the road closures? Thanks for any help.

Yes, the Veendam will be docked at T3. Since it is too far to walk especially with the thousands of people there for the triathalon which area should I be looking to find a hotel in that will not be too affected by the road closures? Thanks for any help.

Look for a hotel in downtown Montreal.

Normally the Springhill would be really close. And just outside the triathlon route. However, T3 is several kilometers north of that.

I honestly think getting a hotel downtown ( Rene levesque, st Catherine ) is going to be just as much a hassle to get to the port as Springhill. Unless you're planning to do specific sightseeing I'd get a hotel in the north of Montreal.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app

Thanks. There are two of us on the this thread with slightly different issues. For me (original poster), I wasn't planning on walking to the pier. I always planned on cabbing it (I'm travelling with my 83 YO mother and 9 YO niece). My concern is whether roads would be closed so that (on Saturday late morning) the T3 pier would be inaccessible completely from Springhill Suites by car. If that's unlikely, then I'll probably keep my reservation at the SS because most of the time we're there is before the time when the events really ramp up (there is a 5k on Friday night at 7PM but we'll be back to the hotel by then).

For the other poster, that person is arriving on the day I'm leaving (disembarking the ship I'm getting on). That person had planned to walk from the ship to the S Suites. I think that is an issue for that person and it sounds like nothing is really walkable from the T3 pier. I'm sure that person would like confirmation of that fact and then a recommendation for a hotel.

Thanks. There are two of us on the this thread with slightly different issues. For me (original poster), I wasn't planning on walking to the pier. I always planned on cabbing it (I'm travelling with my 83 YO mother and 9 YO niece). My concern is whether roads would be closed so that (on Saturday late morning) the T3 pier would be inaccessible completely from Springhill Suites by car. If that's unlikely, then I'll probably keep my reservation at the SS because most of the time we're there is before the time when the events really ramp up (there is a 5k on Friday night at 7PM but we'll be back to the hotel by then).

For the other poster, that person is arriving on the day I'm leaving (disembarking the ship I'm getting on). That person had planned to walk from the ship to the S Suites. I think that is an issue for that person and it sounds like nothing is really walkable from the T3 pier. I'm sure that person would like confirmation of that fact and then a recommendation for a hotel.

I think you'll be fine. You are very close to the course, but not inside it.

Check the map at https://montreal.triathlon.org/event/courses

For the other poster, it's at least an hour walk just to the entrance road for T3. And then I guess another half hour or so to the actual pier.

Do you care about location for the stay?

Because to me downtown Montreal is not worth the hotel price. It's still a hassle to get in and out off with traffic.

If you're just overnighting I'd get something close to the T3 access road. So north Montreal.

Or something close to how you're planning to leave. Airport?

Do you care about location for the stay?

Because to me downtown Montreal is not worth the hotel price. It's still a hassle to get in and out off with traffic.

If you're just overnighting I'd get something close to the T3 access road. So north Montreal.

Or something close to how you're planning to leave. Airport?

I couldn’t disagree more. There are few if any decent hotels anywhere near Pie IX and Notre Dame (entrance to T3). As you had booked a hotel in Old Montréal you presumably want to see something of the city before you leave. Downtown is a much better place to base yourself and as you will be there on a weekend the traffic should not be a problem. Traffic in Old Montréal will still be a problem because of the Triathlon and street closures, and I see that the first races begin at 7AM on Saturday. Furthermore I fail to see the point of staying at an airport hotel if you want to se anything of Montreal.

Thank you everyone for your guidance. Firstly, I apologize to the OP for hijacking your thread and confusing it. I was really concerned about the road closures in Vieux Montreal. I specifically book that hotel because I thought the ship would be docked at T1 or T2 like I read in the reviews and I wanted a hotel close to Vieux Montreal to explore. Perhaps it changed to T3 because of the triathlon. To avoid the hassle, I'm cancelling my Springhill reservation. I found a hotel in downtown Montreal on Peel Street which is about 30 mins away from Vieux Montreal so they tell me. Hopefully it's a good location to be based. Unfortunately, most hotels with kitchen are sold out for my dates Aug 25-27 so I'm limited. Just my luck that there is a busy triathlon happening when we arrive! Hopefully we'll still be able to see the sights and attractions of beautiful Montreal!! Thanks all.

I’m glad my initial question helped you plan; your involvement helped keep the thread alive and helped me get additional insights. So far, I’m still planning on the Springhill but I keep looking for other options. I’m very conflicted. I need two beds plus a pull out sofa for my niece and options in the Marriot network are limited. My other option is the Residence Inn downtown. Did you look at that one?

Ranasa - that's where I booked at the Residence Inn Downtown with 2 double beds and sofa bed (comes with kitchen). I need the kitchen more than the sofa bed. Reviews are good for this hotel. I phoned them and they don't know exactly what roads are closed yet but it shouldn't affect where they are too much (so they say). They said it was about 25-30 mins walking to Vieux Montreal so I went with it. You're lucky that you get there before the triathlon starts. Good luck getting down to the cruise port on Saturday and have a great cruise!