Holland America 2019 World Cruise

The HAL 2017 was due Oct 6th, 2016.

Apparently all the Grand voyages are due four months prior to sailing. The Grand Asia is due July 1st. How many further deposits are required between initial deposit and final deposit?

When is the final payment for a WC due?

For HALs 2018 WV a second deposit of $7000 was due by June 30,2017. The balance was due on September 28, 2017 but cancellation penalties started September 6, 2017. Of course HAL gives a 3% discount if paid in full by May 31, 2017 (which is what I did).

Be sure to check out some travel agency discounts. Mine gives a 6% discount and I know of one that gives a 12% discount.

For HALs 2018 WV a second deposit of $7000 was due by June 30,2017. The balance was due on September 28, 2017 but cancellation penalties started September 6, 2017. Of course HAL gives a 3% discount if paid in full by May 31, 2017 (which is what I did).

So . . . if you had to cancel by September 6th, you could get your entire amount back?

So . . . if you had to cancel by September 6th, you could get your entire amount back?

Correct, even if you pay in full to get the 3%, if you cancel before Spet 6th (for the 2018 WC) you would get all your money back.

Part of the stated fare (before adding "Govt. charges and fees") is considered "non-commissionable" to the TA. One article I read said they are labeled "Taxes" but the cruise line can add other things to it (the article did not give examples of these "other things"). The 6% my TA takes off is from the commissionable portion of the fare. I am fairly certain that the 3% that HAL gives you is on the balance after the TA's 6% is taken but I can't be certain since I don't know what the non-commissionable figure is.

Part of the stated fare (before adding "Govt. charges and fees") is considered "non-commissionable" to the TA. One article I read said they are labeled "Taxes" but the cruise line can add other things to it (the article did not give examples of these "other things"). The 6% my TA takes off is from the commissionable portion of the fare. I am fairly certain that the 3% that HAL gives you is on the balance after the TA's 6% is taken but I can't be certain since I don't know what the non-commissionable figure is.

I think that is correct. I went back and it appeared the 3% was based on our base fare (pre taxes and port fees) less any OBC our TA was giving us.

I think that is correct. I went back and it appeared the 3% was based on our base fare (pre taxes and port fees) less any OBC our TA was giving us.

That would make sense, but are you defining "base fare" as that which is listed by HAL or the discounted fare (pre taxes and fees) given by a TA? And I wonder if HAL knows what the discounted figure given by a TA actually is. This question was asked in another thread, and the opinion seemed to be that HAL is not aware of the discounted bottom line a TA gives. If they are aware of that number, I would think that the 3% would be taken from the discounted price. Not that 3% of the listed number would make much difference. Just curiosity, seeing that the CCP is based on the listed price.

I envy you your 2018 WC - really like the itinerary. Not so much with the 2019 tentative itinerary. Since this is not your first rodeo, any pointers on when to start planning to take; i.e. how many pieces of luggage is reasonable; is the luggage delivery perk really worth it; is it really necessary to include the kitchen sink, etc, etc, etc?

Not Scrapnana, but I will offer my two cents worth towards Tampa Girl's question.

I seriously began planning what to take for the 2008 World Cruise after my return from the last segment of the 2007 World Cruise. Much thinking, researching was done prior to that 17 day cruise, but I wanted to learn from what I experienced and those who were aboard who had sailed the entire cruise. Even then, I way over-packed, which I tend to do for a cruise of any length. (I slowly am learning to depend upon the reliability of the ship's laundry services.) Having to pack for an itinerary that includes 3 potential types of weather is a challenge; I find having to pack for two types of weather difficult enough.

Luggage delivery service importance: it absolutely was for me! I shipped an entire box of personal toiletries that I estimated would be needed for the World Cruise and came home with few unused ones. I included reading material with those items that I did not want to pack in my luggage.

I collected enough gifts, souvenirs, "stuff" during the cruise that I needed to obtain an additional piece of luggage before disembarking. On some World Cruises, one is gifted a small piece of luggage. I had to buy a piece during my cruise. Luggage delivery service came in handy once again!

There is much to plan and think about prior to a world cruise. But, all of the effort is worth it!

Thanks, RKA, for your input. Re the delivery service, how far in advance of sailing is the luggage picked up? Days? Weeks? And did you ship all your luggage except carryon?

I remember a mid-December pick-up date for an early January sailing. I did take with me on the flight to/from FLL the two allowed (with no fee at that time) checked bags along with my carry-on. I shipped two large hard-sided bags and my previously mentioned box. I could have done without one of the hard-sided bags, I now know.

• 7 months later...
Thanks for the reply.

I have heard a rumor that the 2018 GWV will be Captain Mercer's final voyage, that he will retire upon its conclusion. The Captain is very well liked and I wonder if that did not have something to do with the rapid, early booking of the cruise.

Almost! ;) He's still doing the 2019 GWV and will retire after that one

• 2 weeks later...
I remember a mid-December pick-up date for an early January sailing. I did take with me on the flight to/from FLL the two allowed (with no fee at that time) checked bags along with my carry-on. I shipped two large hard-sided bags and my previously mentioned box. I could have done without one of the hard-sided bags, I now know.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I just wondered if anyone on this thread is booked in one

Someone on our roll call for this cruise is booked in a lanai cabin. Don't know if he'll see this.

We thought about it but we don't like the cabins on that deck -- they're smaller than other ocean views. Might try one on a shorter cruise but not for 113 days.

• 1 month later...
India question. Has anyone who has been there think it is worth giving up a day in Cochin and 2 in Mumbai to see The Taj Mahal

I was in Mumbai in the 60's. Not impressed with it at the time, but obviously much has changed. The Taj Mahal is something to see. It would be a shame to miss it.

India question. Has anyone who has been there think it is worth giving up a day in Cochin and 2 in Mumbai to see The Taj Mahal

I loved Mumbai, and would be loathe to give it up. Same with Cochin--a trip on one of the Kerala river boats is fun and fascinating. Of course, the Taj Mahal is special. But on a cruise that I was on that stopped for a couple of days in Mumbai, the people on the Taj Mahal excursion spent the day trying to get there by plane, only to be turned back, unable to land because of fog. They came back late at night, exhausted and having missed a full day in Mumbai and not having gotten to Agra. Come to find out, being fogged out is a common problem, so there's no guarantee you'll get there.

BTW, we used http://www.mumbaimagic.com/ for guides in Mumbai. Four of us had a lovely guide and skilled driver for two days, and saw not only the standard sights, but some "real Mumbai" experiences as well. It was wonderful.

I am definitely going to go to the Taj Mahal. It's been a fantasy of mine since I was a little kid. A friend of my parents went and brought back a miniature model of it in a silk lined display box. I used to love playing w/ the box and the intricate carving of the Taj Mahal.

I left the ship in Chennai for a tour that included Agra and rejoined the ship in Mumbai. Are you not able to arrange such an excursion?

I enjoyed visiting Mumbai: the people, sounds, vibe, sights: I'll never forget it and would enjoy another visit. The Taj Mahal: magnificent and worth my effort and money to visit this site.