Mexico safety concerns?

docboy

Hi everyone,

Family and I are thinking of taking the 7 day Mexican Riviera from LA to Cabo and Puerto Vallerta this summer on Carnival. This would be potentially our 2nd time taking this cruise. We had a blast the time first time!

Has anyone gone down to Cabo, PV, Cancun, etc recently this year? I've seen a few articles online re: US Dept of State issuing a travel warning for Mexico back in Dec 2016 due to crime against US travelers.

I've gone to Mexico many times on cruises and have stayed at resorts, no problems at all. Is this all just hearsay from the new POTUS, or is it something to be weary about? Comments from those who just came back from ports of call in Mexico most appreciated. Thanks!

There's always a travel advisory in effect for somewhere in Mexico. If you scroll down to the bottom of the advisory it will break down the areas. Cancun currently has no advisory. The area with Cabo says to use caution in la Paz... not sure what area PV is in so couldn't find an advisory for that one...

I wouldn't be overly concerned about them issuing a new warning, would just check the areas you plan on going against it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We just did the Mexican Riviera sailing.

We took a taxi to the beach in PV and then wandered around the Malecon. No problems.

In Cabo we wandered after taking an excursion. Also no issues.

In Mazatlan we just walked for some exercise and wandered around a mostly residential area near the port. Again, no problems.

And we saw a lot of tourist police at all the ports.

Just don't do anything you wouldn't do anywhere else like go alone into secluded alleys.

There's almost always been a travel warning for Mexico, largely due to the drug cartel/gang presence. However the country takes it's tourist areas very seriously as they know how profitable these areas are so they are heavily guarded by military/police. Just stay in the area right off the ship and use some common sense, you'll be fine.

We just got back last month from a Panama Canal cruise, Miami to LA, that included five port calls in Mexico: Cabo, Mazatlán, Puerto Vallarta, Huatulco, and Puerto Chiapas (the last not part of the Mexican Riviera and seldom visited by cruise ships). Except for Puerto Chiapas, which was not worth the stop, we had a great time in each of those ports. My review thread, with photos, including a discussion of what we did in each port, is here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2456255

We had not visited the western coast of Mexico before, and I had read the State Dept travel warnings the OP mentioned, as well as info on this board, and concluded that we should be fine in these ports doing what we had planned to do. And we were. In fact, we had not expected to enjoy the Mexican Riviera as much as we did!

We are staying in Puerto Vallarta each winter for 4 or 5 months since quite some years. Just like thousands and thousands of americans and canadians do. We all enjoy our time here and donot have any problems.

Of course act like you do at home. Leave expensive jewelry on board, donot take too much money with you, donot drink too much, just enjoy your time here. Take a cab or even local bus to old town, Malecon or to one of the restaurants on Playa Los Muertos for a drink or meal you will have a great time.

Is this all just hearsay from the new POTUS, or is it something to be weary about?

The State Department issues numerous travel warnings and advisories every year when they feel it is warranted. Certainly you are aware (perhaps you really are not ?) that violence in Mexico has been escalating for years and has occasionally occurred in previously safe tourist areas. Sadly, it's likely just a matter of time before another violent event happens in a tourist area to innocent travelers.

How did you decide this was "hearsay" from President Trump ?. Without making this a political discussion, many of us are "weary" (sic = wary) of everything that happens being blamed on our new administration.

If you don't believe the reports of escalating violence in Mexico, you are entitled to that opinion. Maybe it's just "fake news" reports from news media.

Hi everyone,

Family and I are thinking of taking the 7 day Mexican Riviera from LA to Cabo and Puerto Vallerta this summer on Carnival. This would be potentially our 2nd time taking this cruise. We had a blast the time first time!

Has anyone gone down to Cabo, PV, Cancun, etc recently this year? I've seen a few articles online re: US Dept of State issuing a travel warning for Mexico back in Dec 2016 due to crime against US travelers.

I've gone to Mexico many times on cruises and have stayed at resorts, no problems at all. Is this all just hearsay from the new POTUS, or is it something to be weary about? Comments from those who just came back from ports of call in Mexico most appreciated. Thanks!

Did you actually read the travel warning? I have. None of the cruise ports are listed.

This is akin to travelers from other countries being warned about visiting Los Angeles, Atlanta, Detroit, DC, etc. due to homicides.

We visited the Mexican Riviera in November. No problems and we never felt remotely unsafe. We loved Puerto Vallarta - El Malecon is very scenic. We took a cab from the taxi "stand" at the port to El Malecon and we actually arranged for that same cab driver to pick us up at a designated time and place after dark and he did. We really enjoyed the cruise and the climate! If you are nervous venturing on your own you could always just stick to the ship's tours.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

• 7 months later...
We are staying in Puerto Vallarta each winter for 4 or 5 months since quite some years. Just like thousands and thousands of americans and canadians do. We all enjoy our time here and donot have any problems.

Of course act like you do at home. Leave expensive jewelry on board, donot take too much money with you, donot drink too much, just enjoy your time here. Take a cab or even local bus to old town, Malecon or to one of the restaurants on Playa Los Muertos for a drink or meal you will have a great time.

Hi Ine,

I've seen that you appear to be really knowledgeable about the Mexican Riviera... we will be visiting Cabo and PV on a Panama cruise in December... would you mind if I asked you a couple of questions?

1) I am about to book whalewatch cabo for the whale watching... they seem to have almost excellent reviews on TA... have you heard of them? Anything negative..? Or a better company to book with?

2) Re PV.. we seem to have a really long stop ... nearly 12 hours.... we are not beach people as we have a vacation home on the beach so can get that anytime... not into drinking... so it seems our choices for PV are limited... I had almost decided to disembark have a little wander around and then just enjoy the empty ship...!!

However I have heard about the Zona Romantica.. the old town.... is it safe to grab a taxi and walk around and then grab another taxi back to the port?

We are well travelled in our late 50's so know the rules of staying safe, but also haven't been to Mexico for many years....

Would you have any other advice for what to do ?

Many thanks in advance

Hi Ine,

I've seen that you appear to be really knowledgeable about the Mexican Riviera... we will be visiting Cabo and PV on a Panama cruise in December... would you mind if I asked you a couple of questions?

1) I am about to book whalewatch cabo for the whale watching... they seem to have almost excellent reviews on TA... have you heard of them? Anything negative..? Or a better company to book with?

2) Re PV.. we seem to have a really long stop ... nearly 12 hours.... we are not beach people as we have a vacation home on the beach so can get that anytime... not into drinking... so it seems our choices for PV are limited... I had almost decided to disembark have a little wander around and then just enjoy the empty ship...!!

However I have heard about the Zona Romantica.. the old town.... is it safe to grab a taxi and walk around and then grab another taxi back to the port?

We are well travelled in our late 50's so know the rules of staying safe, but also haven't been to Mexico for many years....

Would you have any other advice for what to do ?

Many thanks in advance

I am not familiar with any companies in Cabo, but know whale watching there is in general very good. I remember some names are mentioned on this board. Maybe you can see it back by using the search function. Be aware you need to tender in Cabo, so that takes some time before you are ashore.

Yes it is absolutely safe to take a cab to old town PVR. At the port you will see cabs offered that charge you in us$ per person. Officialy they arenot allowed to bring you back, but sometimes they do. Or take one of the yellow cabs outside on the highway. Always make you price before entering the cab. Expect to pay around Pesos 120,-/150,- which is about US$ ,-/8,-. Often they accept US$. I know some of them overcharge unfortunately. Also Uber is in PVR, although the cabdrivers donot like that.

You can get off near the church/old town hall at the Malecon, walk the Malecon before getting to old town. On Playa los Muertos you will find plenty of restaurants right on the beach.

Check this excellent website with maps and lots of info. Cruiseterminal is north of hotelzone, then you can check all maps and find Malecon on Downtown. Next is southside/oldtown. The section between Palaza Lazaro Cardenas and around the Pier is old town/romantic zone. http://vallartainfo.com/hotel-zone-map/

Have a great time!

PS Be aware in Vallarta from December 1 till December festivities are going on around the church near the Malecon. Most of it during the evening, but on December 11 and 12 also during the day. It will be busier then normal then.

In PV, Taxis cannot bring you back to the ship, but the can take you to the Walmart across the street.

We travel by our stomachs and there are many good restaurants in PV and Cabo. Both towns cater to tourists. All depends on whether you want a place that caters to the expat or Mexican tourist.

Speaking of PV....we noticed that Uber is now alive and well in the region. An Uber X car will cost about 75 Pesos (about $4) from just outside the port into Centro (town). We are very curious to see how the taxis handle the competition.

Hank

In PV, Taxis cannot bring you back to the ship, but the can take you to the Walmart across the street.

We travel by our stomachs and there are many good restaurants in PV and Cabo. Both towns cater to tourists. All depends on whether you want a place that caters to the expat or Mexican tourist.

Taxis can bring you back to the ship, no problem. Only they cannot enter the pier.