Hello Everyone

Looking for ideas for things to do in the following ports:

Melbourne

Hobart

Dudedin

Akaroa

Wellington

We have a planned excursion for Tauranga

Also know we will be cruising in Milford, Doubtful, Dusky Sound. Any thoughts ?

We have a balcony cabin on the port side.

We are Americans in our mid 60's from Arizona. We are in good walking shape with no mobility issues. We enjoy sight-seeing, nature, wild animals, water, & taking many photos.

We enjoy wine, locals, food, & music.

I have researched Cruise Critic threads, Trip Advisors, & Frommer's Guide Book.

I want & respect your comments & experiences as to adventures you enjoyed. We are open to most DIY or small group excursions. ( we find real traveler experience is quite valuable )

This cruise is at the end of our trip, as we will be staying in Port Douglas at least 4 nights & 1 night in Sydney prior to embarcation for the ship. Likely this will be our last international travel & we want the time ashore as long & lasting as possible. Since this cruise is not port intensive, we have plenty of time to rest on the ship.

Thanks in advance for your help.

If you prefer, you can email me at sfaigle@aol.com

Happy Travels, John

The big question is, what do you like.

Hobart top three would probably be

Wildlife centre

Port Arthur

Mt Wellington

But then there is always just a walk around a beautiful city, Markets if your in a Saturday or a trip to MONA, museum of old and new art.

Maybe head South for the Tulane Air Walk.

Dunedin - either a trip on the Taeiri Gorge Railway which you may have to book through Celebrity, and if you do the train comes right to the dock, or a trip up the Otago Peninsula to the Albatross Sanctuary and Penguin Place.

Akaroa - if you don't want to do an excursion over to Christchurch there are a few things you can do around Akaroa. I understand the "Swim with dolphins" is excellent although I haven't done it myself. The local dolphins are the small and very rare Hector's Dolphins. The Giant's House is worth a visit, it has an amazing garden with mosaic statues all through it, and wonderful views overlooking the harbour.

Wellington - Te Papa Museum, the Cable Car and Botanical Gardens, the Zealandia Ecosanctuary.

Deck 15 forward is brilliant for the scenic cruising through Fiordland. Make sure you're on the port side as you enter Milford Sound, that's where the most spectacular initial views are.

Hello GUT2407 & OZKiwiJJ

Thank you both for this information. It certainly helps to have all bases covered to make sound decision. Great tip about being on the port side as we enter Milford Sound. Mostly interested in outdoor activities, however will consider visiting Christchurch. Happy Travels...

Really appreciate your help, John

Hello GUT2407 & OZKiwiJJ

Thank you both for this information. It certainly helps to have all bases covered to make sound decision. Great tip about being on the port side as we enter Milford Sound. Mostly interested in outdoor activities, however will consider visiting Christchurch. Happy Travels...

Really appreciate your help, John

A pleasure, enjoy your cruise.

As you say you enjoy outdoor activities, Melbourne...

Perhaps the puffing Billy train

Or

Melbourne zoo to see some of our unique wildlife, then skip the wildlife park in Hobart and have longer for Port Arthur and maybe Mt Wellington.

• 7 months later...

We just got off the Solstice. In Melbourne we enjoyed our Melbourne by Bike tour. In Dunedin we booked a tour with 4 Nature Tours. Wellington we did on our own, visiting Te Papa Museum, taking the cable car up and walking back down through the Botanical Gardens. In Akaroa we booked a ship tour that was a long day on the bus for wine tasting and sheep shearing. If we could do it again, we’d book a private farm tour that some others found on Viator.

Sent from my iPad using Forums