Documentation question

HSFBA07

Don't t forget REAL ID Act. There's like what, 6-7 states that do not comply which means they are not valid for travel outside the lower 48. To include cruises.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have never seen anything even remotely suggesting that. A non-compliant ID (which also may be issued by states in compliance if the individual refuses to provide the requisite documentation) only means that you can't use it as an ID to enter property under Federal jurisdiction, such as a Federal courthouse or an airport.

• 5 weeks later...
Don't t forget REAL ID Act. There's like what, 6-7 states that do not comply which means they are not valid for travel outside the lower 48. To include cruises.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

PA is a rogue state and i took a friend on a cruise and her ID was not an issue.

separate question: i have another friend that got divorced 3 years ago but kept her married name. from the posts above it seems like if she digs up a marriage license with the married that she would be ok on a cruise.

i'm assuming copies of these are easily obtained at the courthouse since it's public but is there any other documentation that one can use as a bridge document?

You need to join the 21st century. Yes, most women change their name, but not all do and it certainly isn't a requirement.

Don't bother to respond to cb, as she is a drive by poster, puts one in a thread and never returns.

Bridging documents are for marriages, divorces, name changes, adoptions, etc. This is not a cruise line requirement, but one from CBP. CBP does say that a bridging document is not required, and most likely the cruise line will not deny boarding, but when you return to the US, if CBP has had trouble tracing your BC to your DL through the digital databases, they may ask for the bridging document, and if you don't have it, it can result in a lengthened CBP interview, and possibly a missed flight.

Just getting a passport makes things SO much easier. :D

Yes, in many ways it does (although the last name issue still crops up from time to time so it doesn't solve that issue) and it is the best documentation one can get. But one doesn't necessarily need the best for their needs.