Halong Bay Tender Port - what to do locally in December?

MMDown Under

not sure how expensive it would be but if you might spend the night on one of many junks it was magical, both sunset and sunrise!

It is always better if you have time to enjoy sunrise and sunset. My daughter stayed on an island and did a full day tour of the Bay for what now costs $25USpp! The young tour Vietnam very cheaply.

Betty, you mention a park which I don't recall.

If walking along the promenade from the museum to the place where the boats are being unloaded, from there, cross the road and go into the market as we went in by taxi but it was a longer route.

If at the market the temple is very close to it.

We have done the short Bay cruise twice now and rate them as only "so-so". In contrast, I think the folks who get the most from the Bay cruises are the ones who overnight on a junk as they get much further in to the Bay than the very short cruises do. On both visits we have heard folks enthuse about that experience.

Betty, you mention a park which I don't recall.

If walking along the promenade from the museum to the place where the boats are being unloaded, from there, cross the road and go into the market as we went in by taxi but it was a longer route.

If at the market the temple is very close to it.

We have done the short Bay cruise twice now and rate them as only "so-so". In contrast, I think the folks who get the most from the Bay cruises are the ones who overnight on a junk as they get much further in to the Bay than the very short cruises do. On both visits we have heard folks enthuse about that experience.

Thanks edinburgher. I will have to look into the park more. I think it is called Cong vien Hoa Ha Long and is along the promenade.

https://www.google.com.mx/maps/place/Công+viên+Hoa+Hạ+Long/@20.9506936,107.086937,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m10!1m2!2m1!1shalong+bay+cruise+ship+port!3m6!1s0x314a5823333517c9:0x764024806916617f!8m2!3d20.950689!4d107.0891315!9m1!1b1?hl=en

We are doing a full day (8 hr) junk ride on day 1 and was looking for something to do on day 2.

I saw the park when I looked at the link, but don't actually recall noticing it.

When I zoomed in a little, I saw the temple, the market and a pier forming a sort of triangle. The pier was likely where we saw the boats being unloaded. The temple is so close it is worth visiting and the market area is both inside and outside.

Enjoy.

We've already been to Halong Bay and we went out on a boat, saw the cave and lots of islands.

We don't want to do it again so my thoughts are to get to Hong Gai. It sounds relatively unspoilt and not too touristy.

Presumably it is not a long taxi ride from where the Azamara boat will be docked.

Are we doing the right thing?

Tony