Taking alcohol on board

Host Sharon

As I understand it Dai, the one litre restriction applies to total alcohol, regardless of whether it is spirits, wine or beer.

Yes Selbourne, but I am trying to finger out what you cold bring on board by doubling up because I cannot see the advantage.

It can’t be for spirits as in cabin buys are just as cheap as supermarkets. Hardly worth doubling up on cans of beer as you could not carry enough on to make it worthwhile.

So four bottles of wine, not much point with cheap stuff, so £10.00 + again you are getting near to the on board price.

So I say again why bother.

The ones who miss out are those who buy a bottle in port to drink on board.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes Selbourne, but I am trying to finger out what you cold bring on board by doubling up because I cannot see the advantage.

It can’t be for spirits as in cabin buys are just as cheap as supermarkets. Hardly worth doubling up on cans of beer as you could not carry enough on to make it worthwhile.

So four bottles of wine, not much point with cheap stuff, so £10.00 + again you are getting near to the on board price.

So I say again why bother.

The ones who miss out are those who buy a bottle in port to drink on board.

Dai. I’m with you. For us, it’s not worth the effort to save a few quid. But as we have seen from the reaction from many others, this is causing some people consternation, so much so that some are saying that they will leave P&O altogether. So, all I am trying to do is highlight that there is a loophole, which may help those who feel that P&O moved the goalposts after booking. As I have said before, I find P&O drinks prices to be very reasonable but, then again, I can’t get a pint for £2 around here like some can!

Dai. I’m with you. For us, it’s not worth the effort to save a few quid. But as we have seen from the reaction from many others, this is causing some people consternation, so much so that some are saying that they will leave P&O altogether. So, all I am trying to do is highlight that there is a loophole, which may help those who feel that P&O moved the goalposts after booking. As I have said before, I find P&O drinks prices to be very reasonable but, then again, I can’t get a pint for £2 around here like some can!

I have heard the I will never cruise with them again mantra so many times over the past 10 years and look what has happened more ships and more cruisers increasing year on year. The booze thing does not seem to put people off other lines who don’t allow what P&O do.

Reading through FB where there have been hundreds of posts the vast majority say that they do not take two ltrs of booze on board now.

I can certainly see more upset with Adonia leaving and the cancellation of Oriana’s long Cruise.

Its the beer and wine drinkers who will suffer. Many ,many threads on this forum about how generous the allowance is so come and join us and suddenly everyone is holier than thou...you really couldn't make it up.

For anyone who wants to smuggle in more than two litres of spirits then do it in your soft drinks if you're that desperate. I guess big groups would gain. You can wrap plenty of soft drinks up in a wrapper within reason (ie six bottles of water and two wont be) with your cabin number and it would be delivered to your cabin.

Strangely enough some of the people on this thread suddenly acting as judge and jury were positively encouraging people to come on a P&0 cruise and endorsing the old alcohol policy with it.

Its the beer and wine drinkers who will suffer. Many ,many threads on this forum about how generous the allowance is so come and join us and suddenly everyone is holier than thou...you really couldn't make it up.

For anyone who wants to smuggle in more than two litres of spirits then do it in your soft drinks if you're that desperate. I guess big groups would gain. You can wrap plenty of soft drinks up in a wrapper within reason (ie six bottles of water and two wont be) with your cabin number and it would be delivered to your cabin.

Strangely enough some of the people on this thread suddenly acting as judge and jury were positively encouraging people to come on a P&0 cruise and endorsing the old alcohol policy with it.

Agree, ridiculous policy only allowing 1 bottle of beer or 1 bottle wine, yet permit 1 litre of spirits. To equal the alcohol content of the spirits allowance, allowance should be at least a couple of dozen small cans of beer or half a dozen bottles of wine per person, that is fair. God only knows who decided the quantities.:halo:

Even if people do get 2 bottles onboard it is a drop in the oceon compared to what some people previously brought onboard.The biggest affect will be when these people can bring nothing onboard when they are in the ports during the cruise.

I can only imagine the altercations between stroppy pax and security staff at the gangways or security check points.:loudcry:

I can only imagine the altercations between stroppy pax and security staff at the gangways or security check points.:loudcry:

The RC threat of being kicked off the ship if you are caught smuggling alcohol onto the ship has a sobering affect.

I don’t drink spirits or wine and only drink lager. Last year I took 18 cans of Carling in a suitcase that cost me £10. I have 1 Can each evening when I get back in the cabin whilst relaxing and reading. So I had 14 as it was a 2 week cruise and left the rest there. The reason for this was the year before I ordered from room service and the bottles were about £4.50 each for less (330ml). So this year I saved over £50.

I don’t do it to take out with me instead of buying in the bars or buy in ports. I simply have 1 drink each evening.

I will no doubt be called for contributing towards the allowance being brought in but I’m doing no more than what most do drinking 1 short per day. It’s just that it’s much less volume.

It’s not at the expense of my spending either as we spend a lot onboard on drinks and in the shops.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don’t drink spirits or wine and only drink lager. Last year I took 18 cans of Carling in a suitcase that cost me £10. I have 1 Can each evening when I get back in the cabin whilst relaxing and reading. So I had 14 as it was a 2 week cruise and left the rest there. The reason for this was the year before I ordered from room service and the bottles were about £4.50 each for less (330ml). So this year I saved over £50.

I don’t do it to take out with me instead of buying in the bars or buy in ports. I simply have 1 drink each evening.

I will no doubt be called for contributing towards the allowance being brought in but I’m doing no more than what most do drinking 1 short per day. It’s just that it’s much less volume.

It’s not at the expense of my spending either as we spend a lot onboard on drinks and in the shops.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That is the reason why P&O have bought in this new policy "18 cans of Carling in a suitcase" unbelievable.

Agree, ridiculous policy only allowing 1 bottle of beer or 1 bottle wine, yet permit 1 litre of spirits. To equal the alcohol content of the spirits allowance, allowance should be at least a couple of dozen small cans of beer or half a dozen bottles of wine per person, that is fair. God only knows who decided the quantities.:halo:

The really bizarre thing is that people were complaining fellow passengers were smuggling drinks into bars and hence abusing the system. Try smuggling a bottle of wine or a can of beer into a bar.

If there's any smuggling into bars its going to be spirits (be it through crafty shots kept in a handbag or a hip flask) yet this policy does nothing to address it.

Alcohol content is not the issue it is the amount and that is why P&O have bought in this policy.

Tom, Just why do you consider 18 cans of larger, just over 1 per day on a 14 night cruise, to be excessive and yet 1 litre of spirits, which should provide a similar number of drinks to be perfectly OK. A PC activist might accuse you of being beerist.;p

Not true. The security scan is separate to the Cruise card swipe. Security will check that no person carries on more than one litre and confiscate any surplus. They do not record what each passenger carries on if it is legitimate, which one litre will be. Unless they stipulate that all alcohol must be brought on as hand luggage (which they don’t), then one litre in hold luggage is legitimate. They have absolutely no way of tallying the two unless they record, as you board, what every passenger legitimately takes on board as hand luggage. Can anyone seriously see that happening?

With all due respect, people are ‘over thinking’ this. And I repeat (again) that I have no intention of flouting it myself as we don’t drink that much alcohol. I’m just surprised that P&O hasn’t thought this through terribly well. But, then again, seeing as I appear to be in a minority of one who has worked out how to work around it but has no intention of doing so, compliance will clearly be 100% ;)

Often stating the policy will be enough to deter most people. People generally stay within rules and so the few that get round them will probably not bother P & O over much. And reading the new dress policy which seems to want to stamp on drunken behaviour as much as anything. Maybe that's where they will start seriously looking at what one brought onboard ie when people behave in a drunken manor.

Tom, Just why do you consider 18 cans of larger, just over 1 per day on a 14 night cruise, to be excessive and yet 1 litre of spirits, which should provide a similar number of drinks to be perfectly OK. A PC activist might accuse you of being beerist.;p

I have no issue with Alan Flett drinking his can of lager every night but blimey - it must take up a big chunk of space in the suitcase...

Not at all I dont usually drink spirits I am a beer man preferably real ale but would never dream of taking 18 cans of beer either in a suitcase or hand luggage on any cruise.

Yet the alcohol content is probably similar to a bottle of spirits or box of wine (which was positively encouraged on here) .
Exactly,the bloke only drinks beer so obviously will take up more space.We bring on 2 lts of voddy for cabin which is probably more excessive.Cheers,Brian.