Oriana cruise cancelled?

silversurf

No there are no courtacy cruise ships but there are lots of other ships in the fleet that pax could be offered at a fair price. Allegedly, pax are not being offered anything other that the fluid price of the day. Dai, you are one of the first to say that booking early is best in terms of perks and price.

Why should people who booked at the early prices be not only inconvenienced but also potentially charged more as (now) later bookers.

What should P&O reasonably be expected to do for passengers in these circumstances? You are saying it is not P&Os fault, it is also not the "fault" of the cancelled pax.

I have not mentioned anything about other cruises. I am simply saying that the ship needs repairing and they have to do it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Did it occur to you that the maintenance that all of a sudden popped up out of nowhere was the result of neglecting to take the ship out of service for its regular scheduled maintenance?

It is clear you have no comprehension of how ships are maintained. In order for a cruise ship to operate 24/7 on back to back cruises, there comes a time in its service life based on the ships age, distance traveled and other factors where it must be removed from service and undergo maintenance or it will simply start to break down as you described in your post.

If you read my post instead of just telling me I have no comprehension. You will see that I mentioned the regular overhaul which takes place every 5 years. Oriana had hers a year ago in Hamburg. Now clearly something has gone wrong since then and it has to be put right.

Try not to be so insulting in future.

I have not mentioned anything about other cruises. I am simply saying that the ship needs repairing and they have to do it.

No you haven,t, which is why I posed it as a question. I know your views about early booking which is why it would be interesting to hear them now in these particulalr circumstances for cancelled pax.

Entirely up to you if you choose to answer it or not.:)

Sadly, we and four of our friends were booked on the cancelled Oriana cruise and yes, the logistics and ancillary expenses surrounding the planning for a 50 day cruise are considerable.

Only one of the shorter -35 night - alternatives would have suited us ( the 65 night itinerary was not offered) and even on the morning after receiving the P&O cancellation email, was only offering balcony cabins at much higher prices than the ‘Outside cabin’ on the original 50 night itinerary.

This would have been our first P&O cruise, our normal choice being Seabourn, who do factor regular dry dock maintenance into their schedule. Both are owned by Carnival but obviously with different management styles.

Being used to Seabourn’s excellent customer care, we are disgusted by P&O’s dismissive attitude in their letter & their derisory offer of 5% on a future cruise.

Shame on you P&O ............

If you read my post instead of just telling me I have no comprehension. You will see that I mentioned the regular overhaul which takes place every 5 years. Oriana had hers a year ago in Hamburg. Now clearly something has gone wrong since then and it has to be put right.

Try not to be so insulting in future.

This is just supposition but..... I seem to recall that when I first started cruising, the P&O ships were taken out of service for two or three days at a time once or twice a year for maintenance. Nowadays, they work 365 days a year due to the lower profit margins and level of competition in the industry. I personally question whether more regular routine maintenance like the 'days of old' might help to avoid whatever the sort of problem Oriana has now. Added to this, the fact that P&O do not give any details of what the technical problem is leads to pax speculating - and maybe making wrong assumptions.

Sadly, we and four of our friends were booked on the cancelled Oriana cruise and yes, the logistics and ancillary expenses surrounding the planning for a 50 day cruise are considerable.

Only one of the shorter -35 night - alternatives would have suited us ( the 65 night itinerary was not offered) and even on the morning after receiving the P&O cancellation email, was only offering balcony cabins at much higher prices than the ‘Outside cabin’ on the original 50 night itinerary.

This would have been our first P&O cruise, our normal choice being Seabourn, who do factor regular dry dock maintenance into their schedule. Both are owned by Carnival but obviously with different management styles.

Being used to Seabourn’s excellent customer care, we are disgusted by P&O’s dismissive attitude in their letter & their derisory offer of 5% on a future cruise.

Dry dock maintenance is in the P&O schedule it happened in Nov 16. So clearly this is not scheduled.

I think everyone agrees that this an unfortunate technical issue on Oriana and these things happen what I think is the biggest complaint people have got is the way P&O have handled the problem and how they have treated their customers who were booked on this cruise and sadly that again is sadly lacking.

My wife and i and two friends were booked on this cruise.P&O offer was terrible, they gave four other cruises for the Caribbean but within hours were sold out for similar cabins. Our TA has been told that they are in for dry dock for 24 days and are then doing 3 sailings at cheap prices to cover the other 26 days.They also thought that this particular cruise was under booked as P&O were giving big discounts to them to try and sell it. Because of that undersold they felt there was less disruption for a limited amount of px .They WILL lose business over this as myself and our friends would never book with P&O again and we normally do up to 140 days a year with them untill now.

All of those you can document are recoverable from P&O if on a UK booking including things like your trip insurance anything specific to that trip put in a claim.

if they were offering alternative but only at an increased cost then that is in breach of the package holiday regulations and they need to be reported to ABTA.

these are the rules.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1992/3288/contents/made

in particular section 13 applies my BOLD

13.—(1) The terms set out in paragraphs (2) and (3) below are implied in every contract and apply where the consumer withdraws from the contract pursuant to the term in it implied by virtue of regulation 12(a), or where the organiser, for any reason other than the fault of the consumer, cancels the package before the agreed date of departure.

(2) The consumer is entitled—

(a)

to take a substitute package of equivalent or superior quality if the other party to the contract is able to offer him such a substitute; or

(b)

to take a substitute package of lower quality if the other party to the contract is able to offer him one and to recover from the organiser the difference in price between the price of the package purchased and that of the substitute package; or

©

to have repaid to him as soon as possible all the monies paid by him under the contract.

(3) The consumer is entitled, if appropriate, to be compensated by the organiser for non-performance of the contract except where—

(a)

the package is cancelled because the number of persons who agree to take it is less than the minimum number required and the consumer is informed of the cancellation, in writing, within the period indicated in the description of the package; or

(b)

the package is cancelled by reason of unusual and unforeseeable circumstances beyond the control of the party by whom this exception is pleaded, the consequences of which could not have been avoided even if all due care had been exercised.

(4) Overbooking shall not be regarded as a circumstance falling within the provisions of sub-paragraph (b) of paragraph (3) above.

I think everyone agrees that this an unfortunate technical issue on Oriana and these things happen what I think is the biggest complaint people have got is the way P&O have handled the problem and how they have treated their customers who were booked on this cruise and sadly that again is sadly lacking.

Totally agree, the way they have treated their customers regarding this issue and the Adonia sale seriously lacks customer service and any attempt to retain them as customers

All of those you can document are recoverable from P&O if on a UK booking including things like your trip insurance anything specific to that trip put in a claim.

if they were offering alternative but only at an increased cost then that is in breach of the package holiday regulations and they need to be reported to ABTA.

these are the rules.

13.—(1) The terms set out in paragraphs (2) and (3) below are implied in every contract and apply where the consumer withdraws from the contract pursuant to the term in it implied by virtue of regulation 12(a), or where the organiser, for any reason other than the fault of the consumer, cancels the package before the agreed date of departure.

(a)

to take a substitute package of equivalent or superior quality if the other party to the contract is able to offer him such a substitute; or

(b)

to take a substitute package of lower quality if the other party to the contract is able to offer him one and to recover from the organiser the difference in price between the price of the package purchased and that of the substitute package; or

©

to have repaid to him as soon as possible all the monies paid by him under the contract.

(3) The consumer is entitled, if appropriate, to be compensated by the organiser for non-performance of the contract except where—

(a)

the package is cancelled because the number of persons who agree to take it is less than the minimum number required and the consumer is informed of the cancellation, in writing, within the period indicated in the description of the package; or

(b)

the package is cancelled by reason of unusual and unforeseeable circumstances beyond the control of the party by whom this exception is pleaded, the consequences of which could not have been avoided even if all due care had been exercised.

(4) Overbooking shall not be regarded as a circumstance falling within the provisions of sub-paragraph (b) of paragraph (3) above.

I believe you are confusing the right of the consumer to accept an alternative, better cruise (a right which exists) with the obligation of the supplier to provide such a cruise (an obligation which does not exist).

I believe you are confusing the right of the consumer to accept an alternative, better cruise (a right which exists) with the obligation of the supplier to provide such a cruise (an obligation which does not exist).

I said if offered alternatives they should not be charged more...

I suspect they were never offered alternatives it will depend how the alternatives came about and what the paper trail says but if offered as alternatives then they may be a route to recover any extra costs for that new cruise.

In the mean time they can compile their lists of all extra incidental costs incurred and prepare that claim as P&O is liable for all of them.

They are filling the spare days after the maintenance with a couple of 12 night Canary Is. cruises.

30th January and 11th February 12 night cruises to Madeira and Canary Islands from £499.

23rd February 2 night cruise to Brugge from £149.

All Select prices.

Bookable from 8am tomorrow.

30th January and 11th February 12 night cruises to Madeira and Canary Islands from £499.

All Select prices.

That’s no good, I am on a cruise.

From a woman’s point of view. How about all the new clothes and shoes that you need for a fifty night cruise. That’s 14 formal nights.

I do not dispute that essential maintenance needs to be carried out, but the compensation offered is ridiculously small.

We are on Oriana for the four night Christmas markets cruise in December and I have already bought new trousers, tops, shoes etc all of which I shall only wear on this and any future cruises. I do no live the sort of lifestyle at home or normal holidays which require formal attire.

So sorry for those who are bitterly disappointed.

All Select prices.

Thank you.

I am sorry for the people who have been let down, the disappointment must be crushing :( However, we might be able to take one of the 'new' cruises. Have not been able commit to anything in advance due to a family situation but are now able to look ahead.

"P&O Cruises will be paying agent commission on X801 cancelled sailings. If agents are able to transfer guests on to an alternative sailing they will also receive their standard commission on the new booking plus the commission on the X801 booking.”

And you know what? We have not even been contacted by our TA. As Ligurian tier members we have spent a lot of money always booking through them and we have heard nothing. Time to change agents I think. They have not even bothered to see if we want to transfer to another cruise despite being regular customers.

Pat

That may be a little unfair to the TA. We phoned our TA as soon as we received the letter, the TA had not been informed. Our phone call was the first they had heard about the cancellation. They asked to phone back after speaking to P&O to confirm.

From a woman’s point of view. How about all the new clothes and shoes that you need for a fifty night cruise. That’s 14 formal nights.

I do not dispute that essential maintenance needs to be carried out, but the compensation offered is ridiculously small.

We are on Oriana for the four night Christmas markets cruise in December and I have already bought new trousers, tops, shoes etc all of which I shall only wear on this and any future cruises. I do no live the sort of lifestyle at home or normal holidays which require formal attire.

Any clothes specifically bought for the cruise that cannot be refunded can be claimed for in the incidental expenses claim.

So very true for many people.

these are the rules.

(a)

(b)

©

(a)

(b)

While these might be the rules getting P&O to adhere to them and to make sure all cruisers are adequately reimbursed for all expenses are a totally different thing. P&O are well known for very poor customer service and renumeration compared to other cruise lines and will make it very difficult for anybody to claim out of pocket expenses.

While these might be the rules getting P&O to adhere to them and to make sure all cruisers are adequately reimbursed for all expenses are a totally different thing. P&O are well known for very poor customer service and renumeration compared to other cruise lines and will make it very difficult for anybody to claim out of pocket expenses.

That is why it is important to make people aware of their rights, they should mention package holiday regulations if P&O try to reject claims, they can follow up with the small claim court if P&O don't pay up for valid documented claims.

Also complains to ABTA.

That is why it is important to make people aware of their rights, they should mention package holiday regulations if P&O try to reject claims, they can follow up with the small claim court if P&O don't pay up for valid documented claims.

Also complains to ABTA.

Well aware of the rights through past experience with P&O and even then had to push to the very limit to get any satisfaction and believe that most will either not bother or give up and that is what P&O hope and that is why they treat their customers like they do.

Any clothes specifically bought for the cruise that cannot be refunded can be claimed for in the incidental expenses claim.

I would love to see posts from claimants when they have received their responses from P&O. Do you really think they are going to pay for formal dress, etc? In your dreams, i'm afraid.:rolleyes: