Alaska

babygrl121314

In my opinion end of June to first part of July because it will be warmer and daylight longer. That's typically the more expensive dates to. If u want to save some money go early or late in the cruise season.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by xeroxme

Every one will have their own opinion...mine is mid May...cruise when it works out best for you personally and enjoy.

We've done Alaska in Early June and late September. Loved them both. Next time aiming for mid-July, just to get the whole experience.

My takes:

June -- Longest daylight hours

July -- warmer weather (generally, but heat-waves have been unpredictable in the last few years)

August -- usual time for salmon run in Ketchikan

September -- least chance of rain (according to some CCers)

And May -- best prices? but risk of too much floating ice keeping ship out of glacier viewing areas.

May and September -- fewer school-age children

So it would depend on what factors are important to you. We have gone twice in June because Summer Solstice! But considering later in July or even August to be able to watch the sea lions/seals and other wildlife catching salmon along Creek Street (i.e. right in town!) for the next trip.

June 11 for sure. :D It's our exact anniversary date. At 12:30 pm PDT (2:30 pm CDT) I anticipate a champagne toast on our balcony waiting to depart. :cool:

Kidding aside sometimes special events can be a big factor in planning more so than weather or daylight hours.

IMO, mid to late May is the best. Yes, due to climate changes, it could rain (almost always rains in Ketchikan - no matter what month you go), but we have been there three times in May - once the weather was 80+ degrees in two ports.

May is also good because the season has just started, everyone in town is thrilled to see the tourists and are extremely friendly. By mid-June, there are bumper to bumper cruise ships - many have to tender instead of dock because there is not enough room for all of the ships. Ports are jammed with thousands of passengers. IMO, that is not a vacation.

We have done quite a Alaskan cruises.

May was cold and rainy. Same thing with end of August and September.

JMO -- but we enjoyed Alaska the best from about the 3rd week of June through the first week of August.

Agreed. That's my sentiment as well. I normally try to be there during summer solstice.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 10 months later...

We went the first week of May--I think we were one of the first ships up the coast. Pros: we were the only ship in each of our ports, so the towns weren't crowded; early spring is beautiful with some snow still on the hills and beautiful bright greens everywhere; good deals on the ships. Cons: cooler weather for sure; some ice still in Tracy Arm, so we bypassed it.

We also booked a balcony, but it was hard to use for the most part. It was a bonus in Glacier Bay, however. We were able to avoid the crowds on the decks while the captain did his 360's

We were on a cruise Aug 8 - 16 and followed by a week on land. Only had a bit of rain a couple of days - weather was cool and generally pleasant. Saw whales, salmon running, bear cubs and adults bears. I don't think there's a bad time. Depends what you want to see. I'll be cruising there in May 2018 - looking forward to seeing it in a different season - more snow on the mountains, spring wild flowers. Less people and a fresh cruise season for locals.

Down side of going that early is that some tours won't be running yet and some sites in the North aren't open yet. For example, I would have liked to go to Exit Glacier as we didn't get there last time but the road is likely to still be snowed in mid-May.