Veendam - medical emergency - Bermuda ??

Rowsby

I was watching marinetraffic.com.....and the Veendam stopped a few hours at the bouy near St. George's Bermuda....it was not a planned stop....

They are on their way again.....does anyone know if they had a medical emergency or evacuation.....???

Haven't heard anything from our friends on board but don't expect to for some time as they weren't getting the Internet minutes.

Hopefully someone else will hear and hope all is well on board.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Haven't heard anything from our friends on board but don't expect to for some time as they weren't getting the Internet minutes.

Is that the “usual” route when sailing across the pond? We’ve only done the reverse direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It definitely sounds like a medical emergency as she left Ft Lauderdale on Saturday and was scheduled for 6 sea days before she got to the Azores.

I believe she left on FLL on Friday, the 20th. We were supposed to disembark that day from the Atlantic Coastal cruise but had to cancel at last minute.

Do you know if anyone on this cruise is doing a blog along the way.....??

It's a nice itinerary.....I checked 2018 and there isn't another one like it round-trip from Fort Lauderdale.....I wonder if it will come up again in 2019.........I would surely be tempted.....:)

I don't know if it's the usual route......just seemed strange that they were actually stopped by that bouy.....and that it was 10 pm Bermuda time.....

That's the way Prinsendam goes when on the way to northern Europe - Hamilton [downtown docking] and the Azores. Veendam visits a few times during the summer [extended times/days] But was not scheduled for a visit this time. On her way back - southern route - will also not visit.

From the Royal Gazette of Bermuda:

"The Veendam made an unexpected detour to the island this weekend due to an injured passenger.

According to the Maritime Operations Centre, the cruise ship diverted to the island on Saturday night after a 71-year-old passenger badly fractured her wrist in a fall."

http://www.royalgazette.com/news/article/20171023/cruise-ship-detours-for-injured-passenger

From the Royal Gazette of Bermuda:

"The Veendam made an unexpected detour to the island this weekend due to an injured passenger.

According to the Maritime Operations Centre, the cruise ship diverted to the island on Saturday night after a 71-year-old passenger badly fractured her wrist in a fall."

http://www.royalgazette.com/news/article/20171023/cruise-ship-detours-for-injured-passenger

Sad way to start...and finish a cruise......:(

Thanks so much for the update......

I don't know if it's the usual route......just seemed strange that they were actually stopped by that bouy.....and that it was 10 pm Bermuda time.....

Hi Sheila.....good to "see" you......:)

Good to “see”you, too, Sue! They do it every year. The maasdam has done it, I do know that. Lovely itinerary!