Spirit Airlines, Personal Item.

Anchors Away 2016

First, let me state these plane tickets on Spirit Airlines were a gift to us, so we have no option to switch to a different airline. And even having to pay Spirit's extra fees, a free base price is better than other airline choices. Still, I'd like to pay as little for these "free" tickets as possible.

We have pre-purchased 1 checked bag round trip, that the two of us will share. I know about the 40 lb limit. My big question is about the free "personal item." It suggests a purse or a computer bag. I would like to take a small backpack instead, but I don't want them to charge me last minute as a "carry on" bag. My backpack meets their 18X14X8 guidelines. Will it be accepted? Anyone every try this?

Also, I read an old post on this forum saying that I must pre-print our boarding pass when we check in the day before to avoid a $10 charge. If I don't have a functional printer (I know, right?) is there any other option, like on my smart phone, or at a kiosk at the airport, or must I pay the fee? Let's say (for the sake of argument) I don't have time to go to Staples or somewhere like that to print them.

Last question, if I don't want to pay the $12 each way per person for assigned seats, is there ANY chance that we can at least get two seats together, or will they spread us out?

You can use your phone for the boarding pass. As for the luggage. I only flew Spirit once, but recently, for a quick day trip to Orlando. i had a laptop bag which was pretty full. I think a small backpack is fine. They even show backpacks on their "bare" adds for people that want to take trips showing that you can put clothes in a backpack. As long as it fits under the seat easily it should be ok.

We have pre-purchased 1 checked bag round trip, that the two of us will share. I know about the 40 lb limit. My big question is about the free "personal item." It suggests a purse or a computer bag. I would like to take a small backpack instead, but I don't want them to charge me last minute as a "carry on" bag. My backpack meets their 18X14X8 guidelines. Will it be accepted? Anyone every try this?

Well, since you got to the point where it talked about 18x14x8, you saw where they said that this was the max size for the personal item. (It's the dimensions of the sizer box that determines if you are over or under those dimentions). If you're under, it's good. Over and you incur a charge

Last question, if I don't want to pay the $12 each way per person for assigned seats, is there ANY chance that we can at least get two seats together, or will they spread us out?

You are at the mercy of the Spirit computer system and/or the gate agent. But let's try a thought experiment: Spirit makes money from advanced seat assignments. Would they then have some "work-around" that lets people sit together without paying for that? You may or may not get seats together, but I would be prepared to be separated.

For Spirit, "personal item" means it needs to go under the seat in front of you. Not just "can" go there but "must" go there. You are charged to put things in the overhead bin. As long as your backpack fits under the seat you're good to go, especially since you've already measured and it is within Spirit's stated dimensions. ;)

I flew Spirit a few months ago and it was an interesting experience. They have a very odd size 17" X 13" X 8". I did not have any luggage that was all that close but I was able to find a company that sells luggage to those exact measurements. http://boardingblue.org/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=265

At the gate baggage was eyeballed by the gate attendant but I didn't see any bags weighed or put in sizers. The lady in front of me tried to take a full sized carry on but was told that she would have to pay for that bag since she had not prepaid for her bag. That is an expensive deal too. I believe Spirit charges $100 for a bag at the gate.

Shak

Thanks so much! This is exactly the kind of feedback I wanted. Will they measure it? Will they be sticklers with a ruler? I'm sure that my backpack could be adjusted and squished into a box of that dimention and fit under my seat (though I'm not sure where I'll put my legs!), I just wanted to make sure that they wouldn't "go looking for problems to cause."

From what you all say, it sounds like I will be fine. Glad to know the boarding pass on my phone will work too. That will be great.

I doubt that I will become a regular Spirit customer, but I'm glad to know that I can make it to my destination and back without incurring $100s of dollars in extra charges on my "free" ticket. $80 (round trip) for the one bag that we paid in advance to check still makes for a very cheap flight for two people.

Thanks so much! This is exactly the kind of feedback I wanted. Will they measure it? Will they be sticklers with a ruler? I'm sure that my backpack could be adjusted and squished into a box of that dimention and fit under my seat (though I'm not sure where I'll put my legs!), I just wanted to make sure that they wouldn't "go looking for problems to cause."

In your quest for confirmation, you are jumping to some assumptions. One data point (or even a couple) does not change a company policy. You will be completely up to the whim of the gate agent, who could be that "stickler". Spirit might decide to have an incentive contest for gate fees, so agents go on the agressive warpath. So, if you are skirting the edge, at least be aware.

And, given that Spirit has the tightest legroom pitch in the USA, filling up that space under the seat in front of you means that you WILL have your knees in your chest. Unless you are Billy Barty.

From what you all say, it sounds like I will be fine. Glad to know the boarding pass on my phone will work too. That will be great.

I doubt that I will become a regular Spirit customer, but I'm glad to know that I can make it to my destination and back without incurring $100s of dollars in extra charges on my "free" ticket. $80 (round trip) for the one bag that we paid in advance to check still makes for a very cheap flight for two people.

There are no rulers at the gate what counts is if you bag fits in their sizers if asked. I have a small regional airport near me and I have taken luggage over there to see if it fits in the sizer for the airline I am flying. I can get in and out within 30 minutes so the parking is free. If you get to the gate early you could also put your bag in the sizer. I wouldn't do that if the gate agents are around.

I flew round trip to Orlando on two different planes. One had well padded seats like you see on most airlines but the other was a plastic seat with a thin padding. The seat didn't adjust either. I put the Bording Blue bag under the seat in front of me and didn't really notice any real difference for other airlines.

This trip cost me I think $120 round trip non stop both ways from Cleveland. I was only visiting family for a short trip.

Shak

One data point (or even a couple) does not change a company policy. You will be completely up to the whim of the gate agent, who could be that "stickler".

^^^This.

I've watched gate agents rigidly enforce rules for carry on bags and others turn a blind eye. Some rigidly enforce boarding zones, while others seemingly couldn't care less. Always be prepared to toe the line to the letter when it comes to boarding rules/policies.

Hello again. Just got back from the trip, so I thought I'd add my first hand experience replies to my own questions.

1) They were fine with my backpack. Didn't even size it. I did see them sizing a larger backpack (that clearly was too big). Plus, when I got on the plane, they offered to let me put it in the overhead compartment instead of under my seat. That surprised me, but I kept it under my seat because I had some snacks that I wanted to access. Nice to have the option, though. And as a bonus, (probably because Spirit charges for carry-ons) the over head bins weren't crammed full, like they are non just about every other airline.

2) As for boarding passes, it is easier than I thought. Pre-printed passes are fine. (Though they quickly replaced them with their own printed passes.) Passes on the phone were fine too. On the way back we did the check-in over the phone a few hours before the flight but it didn't go through. Still no problem. We used a kiosk in front of the Spirit counter and still avoided paying the fee. It turns out as long as you don't go up to the person at the counter without checking-in first, you are fine. They even had a scale there to weigh our checked bag to make sure we didn't go over. They also allowed people who were over to take things out of their bags to avoid extra charges.

3) We didn't pay extra for the seat assignments and instead got the "random" selection. One way we checked in about 8 hours before the flight, the other at the airport about 3 hours before. In both cases, we got seats together, and rather close to the front of the plane (which I think is desirable.) Once in row 8 and the second time in row 3! So I think random seats worked better than I expected.

Overall, I wasn't in love with the Airline. The seats were awfully close together, and the service was bare bones, but the attendants were friendly and enthusiastic and overall it was a lot better than I thought it would be.

I had a family member fly from Detroit to Denver recently with her husband and two children. I told her she was nuts. She said they paid less than 300 total round trip for 4 so she was willing to put up with anything. They all had medium backpacks which were no problem and they were all seated together each way without paying the extra cost. They all shared one checked bag since must of the kids clothes were in their backpacks. You should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums