Luminosa aft cabins

alicat58

We received an email the week. It was in code. Upgrade from PB to PS. Fortunately they added the cabin number.

Saying that my tail is wagging would be an understatement. We have been upgraded to an aft panorama balcony/suite. No suite perks this time though.

My question is, what is it like to sail aft? I read on other boards that people like aft cabins and sometimes there is mention of vibration and soot on balconies.

Anyone have experience of these?

Alicat

Hi Alicat,

In the past we often chose the balcony cabin aft facing the way we had come, yes there is a little vibration but not so you notice when cruising at the moderate speed they now do to save fuel. The only thing is in rough weather and the props come out of the water (very rare) you will get some violent shaking, in saying that it rarely last more than a few hours, & the view of our wake & sometimes Dolphins make up for it. You are not overlooked on most balconies/suites.

AS for soot never but you may get a slight smell if wind is in right direction but again nothing to get uptight about IMO.

Go for it and enjoy your up-grade.

My wife and I like aft balconies so much, we don't sail with anything else! We would likely turn down a suite upgrade if it wasn't rear facing. Never had a problem with soot, but there is some vibration when the ship is doing a lot of maneuvering.

We've seen dolphins and whales from our balcony, however those were both off the Pacific coast of North America, not sure what you might see in Europe.

Hahaha

I'll look out for the bottles whilst sipping something fizzy on that balcony.

I am getting very excited(does not take much) and need to start planning what we are going to do in the ports. We have been to all of them in the past but that is the beauty of cruising. You stay a day(or half a day) and come back and there are still things left to explore.

Any ideas?: Bari afternoon, Athens sort of full day, Katakolon( I think I have that planned-been to Olympia 3 times, enough is enough), Kotor afternoon, Split whole day.

Alicat

Hi,

Bari historical center is doable in an afternoon and the ship berths nearby. Athens has many possibilities and one can always do the hop-pn-hop-off bus (some circuits last two hours or more). Kotor is also doable on the time the ship is there. There is even time to go up towards the fortress ruins if one is feeling energetic. They also have a small but interesting maritime museum. Kotor is also visited because of the fjord. Split has again a good deal to offer but most can be covered in a day. The city centre is quite compact. What is a bit outside is the maritime museum, which is also interesting and has a couple of letters which came from the name on the hull of the famour Rex (which was sunk nearby). In Bari, Kotor and Split the ship will berth more or less as it does in Katakolon so, walkable.

Hi SJPO

Thanks for your suggestions.

We have been to all the ports before. My plans are as follows:

Bari: No idea. Try a walking tour. Seen most of the churches but not the "mummy" Now that will be worth it my book. Hubby cannot understand why I have such a fascination for dead bodies. Unfortunately we only arrive at 2pm so a bit late for lunch.

Athens: Quite keen to see the Acropolis museum and I have a nice looking restaurant ear marked. Will have to see about getting about. We have a bit of a hate/hate relationship with HoHo buses. Ship leaves at 4pm!

Katakolon: The little train to the wine farm and lunch.

Kotor: Sit on that massive balcony during sail in. Last time we went it was early morning and pitch dark when we left.

Split: Maybe a walking tour. We have strolled all over the town last time. We have not been inside Diocletian's palace. Then lunch somewhere nice. I have looked at the other site and I keep on changing my mind.

Costa usually offers a small group tour for diamond pearl. We've been on one. They don't cancel it even if no similar language people. The price is the same. Depends on what they offer though. I would have been keen to do something from Bari but I think it might be too early after leaving Venice.

Hey-ho don't really mind what we do or where we go. The most important things are we are cruising and we are on holiday.

Alicat

Ciao Alicat

Just an idea for Bari: Take a taxi to Matera. Its about 70 km. Visit the Sassi with the architectural treasures, the cave residencies an go back in the history more than 30‘000 years. You will be impressed.

Cari saluti Andromeda

Gesendet von iPhone mit Forums

Although we now no longer 'go ashore' what we mean is we just wander slowly to the nearest restaurant where we sit with a bottle of wine for company and people watch, in the ports were we are docked close to town.

After nearly 30 years of cruising we have seen it all, loved doing the tours during the days I could walk,

On holiday just about sums it up, we still love cruising and even our days on board while the ship is mostly empty, long may I be able to get aboard even if we don't get off until embarkation day.

Great bit of info about Perla Diamante members, might look into that over Christmas as I wouldn't mind just sitting on a coach if I could.

Ciao Andromea

That took my fancy. Was it hard work? I am not the fittest person about. Having said that I managed to huff and puff up and down hills in Port Mahon, Ibiza and Tarragona recently. Costa has the tour as a fitness level 3! Supposed to be thing like a professional athlete I think. How much would a taxi charge for that. The costa tour is €55 pp.

Tenpin, we made use of the special once and it was great. We went to Montserrat in a small minibus. The guide who spoke English to us and French to the other 4 people. It was great! We don't like to be herded like cattle in big groups. On our latest cruise we could have gone to Valdemossa on Palma but it did not fit with our lunch plans. I just about check the restaurants in town before the excursions:D

In a week we would have sailed out of Venice. Woohoo!

Planning to have that bottle of free fizz on the balcony whilst sailing past St.Marks if the ship is still going that direction with all the restrictions coming in.

Anyone been on her in the last few weeks?

Alicat