Mutiny not on the Bounty

G.M.T.

The Mutiny on the Riviera has made international news:

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2017/11/10/cruise-passenger-booted-for-staging-mutiny-over-canceled-itinerary.html

Who can spot the mistake?

There are at least two. One being the photo of the incorrect ship and the other being that Mauritius was missed when it's where the cruise began and ended and they are docked there now.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5072717/Plague-fears-grow-Malawi-10th-nation-alert.html

Perhaps they should have dropped them off and left. Given this story, I am not sure I would have wanted to go back to Mauritius either... a bit too close for comfort... given that it is now airborne plague... more dangerous than the original... harder to isolate

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5072717/Plague-fears-grow-Malawi-10th-nation-alert.html

Perhaps they should have dropped them off and left. Given this story, I am not sure I would have wanted to go back to Mauritius either... a bit too close for comfort... given that it is now airborne plague... more dangerous than the original... harder to isolate

I am always happy to trust the Ship's captains decisions in light of health authorities and the weather bureau when it comes to where a cruise can go or not.

Nope. Put us out of our misery.

Alicat

The photo is of the old Costa Allegra (not neoRivera), although the Allegra does have some connection with this cruise as broke down in the Seychelles in 2012 and was then scrapped.

We were on this cruise. We missed the riots, as we were busy at the bar ;-)...

We were disappointed that we weren't going to Madagascar, but knew that the cancellation was inevitable. Too bad Costa didn't cancel it sooner and let people know about it. We had scheduled private excursions at each port (thank you, CC contributors), and when the companies were notified, they were all very reasonable. The one that we had paid in advance, REFUNDED all of our money. The 3 companies were all grateful that we let them know that Costa wasn't coming, because Costa had NOT notified them.

I think those people that had scheduled Costa Excursions were given ship board credit and not refunded their $$. This is heresay only as I did not speak directly to anyone that was involved in one of these excursions. They also gave 150Euro refund to each person for the ship skipping 3 ports. Seriously?

I will be doing a separate review, but I will say here that many of Costa's policies are terrible. The service on the ship from the service people was outstanding, waiters, waitresses, bartenders, cabin stewards, etc... The front desk did what they could, but I think Costa does not give them the authority to make reasonable changes, accommodations, etc.

N

It seems all cruise lines are stingy when it comes to compensation for itinerary changes. Oceania, an expensive "premium" line, recently had one of their ships lose power while at sea and had to be towed into port. This resulted in three ports being missed. Their compensation was $500 towards a future cruise.

No cruise company has to pay compensation when itinerary changes are beyond their control - just read the contract as watertight as a ... (please apply your own imagination).

Costa did the right thing by cancelling all Madgascar ports BUT they should have done it 6 weeks before not 6 days into the cruise.

How this incident was handles is typical Costa, they could not organise a piss up in a brewery, on the other hand their daughter company AIDA could with their own brewers at sea.

Surely the moans about compensation are the same as at airports when fights are delayed with mechanical problems, or the weather,

Given the choice between flying in a plane with an engine problem or entering a port during a violent storm (or not)I know which I would choose.

All these are indeed covered by the T & C's for our own safety.