HAVE MSC LOST THE PLOT on DRINKS ?

sidari

Recently we are hearing that the powers that be in Geneva have decided to stop certain drinks vouchers for cruises out of Miami and the decision was made in October, no attempt it seems was made to inform MSC USA or those who had booked after their cut off date!

I decided to see what drink packages are still on offer for those booked from the UK on the December 23rd sailing, assuming that a person had not yet booked one.

There are now only Two packages available ...

All Inclusive package A at £238 per week / £34 pppd

$310 per week / $45 pppd

All Inclusive Deluxe package A at £273 per week / £39 $355 per week / $51pppd

As we have an Aurea package as people will be aware drinks are included, so glad that we upgraded to the Deluxe package at a total of £70 / $91 for the week a while back.

MSC are going to do themselves some serious damage in the USA with this customer wise and possibly those in the UK heading to Miami.

I'm missing what went missing?

Do those packages have a set number of vouchers? I'm asking because NCL's beverage plan (which is unlimited but excludes some things like bottled water, can soda, coffees, etc up to $15 per drink) is $89 per person per day plus 18% charge.

I don't know how many people actually buy the NCL package outright as NCL gives it as a perk pretty much everyday (with a charge of 18% of the packages value).

Just wondering if MSC package is trying to align with competitors out of Miami.

I haven't sailed with MSC yet (Seaside in January, 2018)!, but something I've gleaned from my research is how low the prices are in generally for everything in comparison to other US based mainstream lines. Not just cruise fares, but cocktails, specialty restaurants, spa treatments, shopping, etc - the prices I've seen via pictures from reviews are considerably less than most other lines. Perhaps they are slowly going to raise prices and/or remove options to come more in line with their competitors? I agree that removing the 18 pack vouchers is a dissapoiment...it did seem like an excellent value for those whose comnsumption level made the all inclusive package a waste of $.

especially in lower class cabins. ... :o

This is not Cunard ... Ate.

I don't understand your surprise face when I say MSC has different cabin classes. Bella and sometimes Fantastica do not get included drink packages. Now, rather than having an inexpensive plan for light/moderate drinkers in those cabins they can only choose from more expensive unlimited plans. This really doesn't affect Aurea or YC class cabins in the same way. The only good thing is MSC's comparatively low drink prices when without a package.

Recently we are hearing that the powers that be in Geneva have decided to stop certain drinks vouchers for cruises out of Miami and the decision was made in October, no attempt it seems was made to inform MSC USA or those who had booked after their cut off date!

I decided to see what drink packages are still on offer for those booked from the UK on the December 23rd sailing, assuming that a person had not yet booked one.

There are now only Two packages available ...

All Inclusive package A at £238 per week / £34 pppd

$310 per week / $45 pppd

All Inclusive Deluxe package A at £273 per week / £39 $355 per week / $51pppd

As we have an Aurea package as people will be aware drinks are included, so glad that we upgraded to the Deluxe package at a total of £70 / $91 for the week a while back.

MSC are going to do themselves some serious damage in the USA with this customer wise and possibly those in the UK heading to Miami.

Currently on the UK web site there are 3 packages.

5 minutes ago I looked it up with my booking next year using enhance my cruise

this is what you get, prices are for a 9 night cruise. I'm paying £18pppn for the basic package A, not the deluxe A

drinks%20packages%202.jpg

This is what the current 2018 - 2019 hard copy UK Brochure has, again three packages

drinks%20packages.jpg

The pricing matches so I think that there are still 3 packages

pete

Edited by Skier52

I haven't sailed with MSC yet (Seaside in January, 2018)!, but something I've gleaned from my research is how low the prices are in generally for everything in comparison to other US based mainstream lines. Not just cruise fares, but cocktails, specialty restaurants, spa treatments, shopping, etc - the prices I've seen via pictures from reviews are considerably less than most other lines. Perhaps they are slowly going to raise prices and/or remove options to come more in line with their competitors? I agree that removing the 18 pack vouchers is a dissapoiment...it did seem like an excellent value for those whose comnsumption level made the all inclusive package a waste of $.

I just looked quickly at spa prices yesterday, and I agree. I couldn't believe how much lower they were than other cruises we've taken. Hoping the drink prices are in line. I wouldn't doubt they'll start to raise prices once they are more established in the market. I did see somewhere where 18 vouchers were $89 when they were available. I would've taken that in a minute.

Pete ... There are only the two choices in the enhance my cruise area for our booking and they are the ones in my earlier post at the prices stated, even the photo packages have been cut in number.

Just tried my other booking and still get 3 choices.

Both my cruises are in 2018, is yours or is that where the difference comes from

my other 7 night booking

drinks%20packages%203.jpg

interesting that the prices are virtually the same for a 9 night cruise as for a 7 night cruise on all three packages

7 night

deluxe 308 basic 161 mealtimes 105

9 night

deluxe 315 basic 162 mealtimes 99

Pete

Neither Hubby or myself consume alcohol, and loved the 18 voucher that had included Coffee/Hot chock , Soda's, Fruit juice and Ice-cream as it meant we could both use them (I also dont drink soda's and hubby cant have fruit juice bring diabetic) ...unfortunately for us there is now NO option left for pre paid drinks :( as the all inclusive Non Alcoholic package works out to $29 pdpp and there is NOOOO way either of us would be consuming that amount of drinks per day especially when in port.

Edited by EssG

Sailing on the Divina early next month and purchased on of the alcoholic and one non alcoholic package, thankfully before they became unavailable. It was one of the things I thought MSC did right, and I had hoped other lines would follow.

I'm missing what went missing?

Do those packages have a set number of vouchers? I'm asking because NCL's beverage plan (which is unlimited but excludes some things like bottled water, can soda, coffees, etc up to $15 per drink) is $89 per person per day plus 18% charge.

I don't know how many people actually buy the NCL package outright as NCL gives it as a perk pretty much everyday (with a charge of 18% of the packages value).

Just wondering if MSC package is trying to align with competitors out of Miami.

If they are aligning with NcL, they should be giving the drink package for free. And they might want to put an actual 4th bed in rooms that supposedly sleep 4. While they are at it, maybe they should also provide more dining and entertainment options. I could go on.

7 day cruise on Seaside, sailing March 2018, booked on US site shows this:

mlrujr.png

Same as mine. MSC is obviously not offering the option of the Mealtime packages on their US sailings. It's available on my upcoming Greek Island cruise and also on my Grand Voyage from Dubai-Yokohama one, but not on my Divina from Miami one.

Pete ... I think I have found the glitch in the system (yet another) yesterday when I logged in I did so on the Left of the Two booking options where it says "Voyagers club and Private area" when you go in that way and click on customise you click on drinks and it asks you to log in again, once in, having clicked on prepaid and drinks, it shows the packages I mention in the original post.

Now if you go in via manage my booking on the Right and click on Customise and then Drinks there is a much larger list of 4 packages ... All Inclusive drink package A at £238, All Inclusive Deluxe drink package A at £273, Non alcoholic all Inclusive A/C at £140 and All Inclusive soft drink package A/C at £63.

There is also a Wine package of 7 bottles for £113.

A Coffee package at £20 for 15 drinks and a Water package at £27 for 14 bottles of 1 litre.

There is also a number of other packages of Bottles of wine on their own as well as with fruit etc.

It's still missing the Mealtime drinks package, Dave, which leads me to believe that MSC is not offering it on US sailings. Out of my 3 current bookings, it's available on the Med and Grand Voyage sailings but not on my Divina one from Miami.

If they are aligning with NcL, they should be giving the drink package for free. And they might want to put an actual 4th bed in rooms that supposedly sleep 4. While they are at it, maybe they should also provide more dining and entertainment options. I could go on.

I had wondered about this. NCL seemed to go from Sky to fleet with the inclusive drinks fairly quick. I was wondering if MSC was going to follow suit. I really enjoyed how hassle free Sky was. One can hope this is just a precursor to a change of this nature.

MSC began a promotion last year which comes and goes (on selected sailings - mainly for Med cruises), known as Get More, Get All. It includes drinks packages (mealtime or basic all-inclusive, depending on cabin category), some OBC and the Social internet package. However, these inclusions are NOT free - the price goes up accordingly when these promotions are on. The same applies to NCL - they are not giving free packages. In fact, it forces people who wouldn't normally have use for one, having to fork out for one.