Wowed by Meraviglia

1fifthavenue

Just off the ship yesterday, haven't started writing a review yet but we had the most amazing time on Meraviglia! Really couldn't fault it.

We had a Fantastica balcony but were given MyChoice dining in the Panorama restaurant, treated like celebrities with so many crew who knew us from previous cruises, I even won Masterchef.

Really couldn't fault it. I think Fantasia is still my preference as my favourite MSC ship, there were bits we missed like the piazza area, however other parts left us very impressed.

So with Masterchef there is a quiz on the pool deck one day to qualify - the top 6 players are chosen. All the questions are food related, like how does this grow, where does this come from etc. They then team you up with someone else to make 3 pairs of contestants.

The next day, you go to the theatre ahead of time, get given an apron etc, and they tell you what will happen.

You then go on the stage with your partner - the cruise director introduces you and where you're from. Don't expect big cheers if you're not Italian!

Masterchef is then a mystery box challenge, of cold ingredients - there is no actual cooking in the theatre. You have to make something tasty using some of all of the ingredients, with presentation and technique being a key factor. This wasn't easy with three types of melon, strawberries, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper whilst being watched by a full theatre!!

3 chefs from the galley act as the judges. The guests cheer for their favourite dish but the chef has the final say. Myself and the lady from Portugal I was paired with had barely any cheers lol we were so surprised to win!! My trick was to try and make it look like something that might be served onboard as it would tick the presentation box if not the taste!

Haha Bea how could you?

But I’m having a chuckle about the ‘marrowbone’ and ‘flourless cake’ Jane called flavourless cake haha

I couldn't resist, Mark! :p

Tim, a couple of things you might cover in your review:

1. How did you manage to have MyChoice with your Fantastica booking? Just to clarify, was it MyChoice or was it the FlexiDining (that failed miserably early on and was supposed to have been suspended indefinitely).
  2. Did many people dress formally for the 'Elegance' nights?

So with Masterchef there is a quiz on the pool deck one day to qualify - the top 6 players are chosen. All the questions are food related, like how does this grow, where does this come from etc. They then team you up with someone else to make 3 pairs of contestants.

The next day, you go to the theatre ahead of time, get given an apron etc, and they tell you what will happen.

You then go on the stage with your partner - the cruise director introduces you and where you're from. Don't expect big cheers if you're not Italian!

Masterchef is then a mystery box challenge, of cold ingredients - there is no actual cooking in the theatre. You have to make something tasty using some of all of the ingredients, with presentation and technique being a key factor. This wasn't easy with three types of melon, strawberries, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper whilst being watched by a full theatre!!

3 chefs from the galley act as the judges. The guests cheer for their favourite dish but the chef has the final say. Myself and the lady from Portugal I was paired with had barely any cheers lol we were so surprised to win!! My trick was to try and make it look like something that might be served onboard as it would tick the presentation box if not the taste!

wow that's something I would love to do .

I couldn't resist, Mark! :p

Tim, a couple of things you might cover in your review:

1. How did you manage to have MyChoice with your Fantastica booking? Just to clarify, was it MyChoice or was it the FlexiDining (that failed miserably early on and was supposed to have been suspended indefinitely).
  2. Did many people dress formally for the 'Elegance' nights?

We have absolutely no idea how we got My Choice (and it was defo My Choice) we also had extra plates of canapes, petit fours and bubbly delivered

We have absolutely no idea how we got My Choice (and it was defo My Choice) we also had extra plates of canapes, petit fours and bubbly delivered

You'll have to let me in on your secret of how you pull these things off, Tim! :D

Seriously, though, good for you! Getting MyChoice is a bit of a mystery.

Can I ask how much it was to dine in Teppan Yaki?

Thanks

We didn't pay as we have the black card, this gives you the Samurai menu - which would have been €28 each if we were paying. The food was absolutely amazing and we would have paid that with no questions asked... It may be worth looking at one of the packages though to get the Butcher Cut and Cirque?

Congratulations on winning MasterChef. We were in the theatre watching and were cheering for you guys.

We too had a Fantastica balcony and where given MyChoice dining when we should not have. The dining team where confused as us but still honoured the MyChoice benefits.

We had a great time and will be uploading blogs and videos from the sailing to our YouTube channel in the coming weeks.

We didn't pay as we have the black card, this gives you the Samurai menu - which would have been €28 each if we were paying. The food was absolutely amazing and we would have paid that with no questions asked... It may be worth looking at one of the packages though to get the Butcher Cut and Cirque?

Thanks so much for your speedy response. Alas no cirque for us as we will be on Seaside but you've sold me on Teppan Yaki and I will look at our prepaid options in more details now. Thanks again.

Thanks so much for your positive review! We are booked for next April and even though it was dirt cheap the reviews of course worry me. She looks like such a beautiful ship that I know we will have a good time whatever, even if we eat in the buffet every day! We have only sailed NCL so not used to this fixed dining time nonsense. Booked Fantastica just so we don't have to be fixed and then they got ride of flexi dining :(

Thanks so much for your positive review! We are booked for next April and even though it was dirt cheap the reviews of course worry me. She looks like such a beautiful ship that I know we will have a good time whatever, even if we eat in the buffet every day! We have only sailed NCL so not used to this fixed dining time nonsense. Booked Fantastica just so we don't have to be fixed and then they got ride of flexi dining :(

Hi there Squish! What I would say to you is that MSC and NCL are incredibly different cruise operators. We usually cruise MSC, and gave NCL Epic a go - they're completely different in many areas. The food on MSC is often met with criticsm from Brits who cruise with P&O or NCL - of course food is subjective. The MSC menu has a heavy Med influence; don't expect steak, lobster etc to feature (although you ca pay a supplment if you want a Tbone or a lobster tail)

Have you thought about one of the dining packages on your MSC cruise? As mentioned before the Teppan Yaki was amazing. I know others on here are also bery fond of the butchers cut

Hi there Squish! What I would say to you is that MSC and NCL are incredibly different cruise operators. We usually cruise MSC, and gave NCL Epic a go - they're completely different in many areas. The food on MSC is often met with criticsm from Brits who cruise with P&O or NCL - of course food is subjective. The MSC menu has a heavy Med influence; don't expect steak, lobster etc to feature (although you ca pay a supplment if you want a Tbone or a lobster tail)

Have you thought about one of the dining packages on your MSC cruise? As mentioned before the Teppan Yaki was amazing. I know others on here are also bery fond of the butchers cut

Thank you! I have thought about the package, but I don't eat sushi so I feel like it's kind of ruled out for me. I'm not really a steak or lobster eater either- prefer Italian, Asian (despite the aversion to sushi) and more international food so maybe we will be fine with it! I'm looking forward to seeing how they differ from NCL.

Congratulations on winning MasterChef. We were in the theatre watching and were cheering for you guys.

We too had a Fantastica balcony and where given MyChoice dining when we should not have. The dining team where confused as us but still honoured the MyChoice benefits.

We also saw you "cooking" in the theatre and cheered for the two non-italian couples, because almost nobody else did. Congrats also!

And nice you all enjoyed the MyChoice with Fantastica as ours was cancelled and we had to use the normal one. Nevertheless we totally loved this cruise and the ship.