How/What to Pack for a three week trip/cruise to Europe

Our family (my wife, our nine year old daughter, myself and my parents) will be taking a three week trip to Europe - Sunday, June 21, 2009 to Sunday, July 12, 2009. We will be spending three nights at a Holiday Inn in Paris before taking an overnight train to Barcelona to spend one night at a Hilton before our 12-night Eastern Med/Greek Isles cruise aboard the Brilliance of the Seas. Post cruise we'll spend two nights in Barcelona at the Hotel Continental before taking a day train back to Paris for a one night stay at a Hyatt prior to our flight back to the U.S.

Any thoughts and/or recommendations on how/what we should pack for this trip. My wife and I sailed the Western Med out of Rome in 2006, but this will be the first european trip/cruise for my parents and our youngest daughter. Obviously, we'd like to pack as light as possible but still take everything we'll need for the trip. Any insights on types of clothes, make/kind of luggage, packing techniques, etc. would be very helpful.

Thanks,

chester

When I do extended trips, cruises across the pond I generally look for ways to make clothing choices go further. One pair of pants may work for 3 tops, one sweater (I get cold sometimes with a/c) will work will just about everything, you get the idea. I also figure there will be at least one time where I will send undergarments to be laundered.

Now if I could only get the shoe fettish worked out. ;) I do try to limit them and look for ways to make one pair go with a few different outfits.

As to packing, mix up your clothes. With all you hear about lost luggage, you don't want all your clothes in one bag. Better to have each of you missing a few items than one of you missing everything.

I also purchase some toiletries once I get across the pond; shampoo, hair spray, lotion, again, you get the idea. I usually leave them behind when I'm ready to return home.

You could also use what may be provided by the hotel and then ship.

This is a start for you. I'm sure there are others with better suggestions and they will drop in soon with their ideas.

You may consider renting a tux online and having it delivered to the ship (CruiseLineFormalwear). This will save you the trouble of packing a dark suit and the associated weight y=that could be used for something else. Also you don't have to worry about it getting wrinked.

You are traveling international, and if I am correct most airlines still allow you 2 bags per person no charge. That would mean 6 bags for your family. If you could upgrade to business class some airlines allow 70 lbs instead of 50 lbs per bag. With 6 bages that is like having 2 extra bags.

As the previous poster said do not hesitate to use the laundry service. It will make your packing easier. Wear your heaviest items if you can

Make sure whatever suitcases or bags you take are lightweight when empty. You do not want to use up precious luggage weight with the bags themselves.

I also find shoes the biggest problem especially when combining city holidays with cruising. Comfortable walking shoes and dressy shoes for the cruise.

As someone else has said, buy your toiletries when you arrive here and leave them at the end of the trip.

Sounds a great trip. You will have such a wonderful time.

Remember that not all hotels in Europe have elevators. Carrying a lot of luggage up and down the stairs in not fun!

I'm a list maker and this might make me sound crazy, but here goes. Ahead of time, I make a list of each day and where I'm going to be. I then determine what I'd like to wear (also noting days vs nights since I change outfits, plan for formal night or cocktail attire, etc.) and start shortening the list so that I wear the same pants multiple times with dry cleaning on the ship. Since you'll be gone several weeks, the same shirt can be worn multiple times too. The rates on the ship are reasonable and actually less than they are here at home. I also make sure that everything matches so that I can easily mix and match should I not want to wear exactly what I listed out. As far as shoes, I take one each of: comfortable pair for walking, sandels, flip flops, and black heels. After my three week trip to Europe, I never wanted to see that pair of walking shoes again! I also learned that less is more. I think it's Rick Steves who said that no one ever wished they had brought more. The last trip was two suitcases and one heavy carry on. The trip next month is one medium suitcase that I have to be able to carry onto the train and place in the rack above my seat and one manageable carry-on.

Back to that list, once I have all of the outfits figured out then I use that same list to include everything that I need to pack from underwear, to my toothbrush, to the voltage converter. I use this to pack and then I bring a clean copy in my suitcase so that I remember how I had coordinated outfits. Yes, I know crazy, but I don't forget things. Friends have even asked for the list since they can't believe that it works. I keep it from trip to trip and then I have all the extras listed and modify the clothing according to the itinerary.

We packed for about 8 days each. This gave us one large wheeled piece of luggage each and two carryons (5 people) We did not want our mobility to be limited by luggage.

Bring things that can mix and match. The men may want to rent formal wear on the ship to avoid packing it. Limit shoes. We also brought athletic-type shirts and shorts for touring days. These kept us cool and could be washed in the sink and dried quickly afterwards.

Brilliance had $20 bag of laundry special (per stateroom) approx. days 4 and 6. You could stuff as much underwear, tshirts, pajamas, swimsuits & shorts in the bag as you could fit.

We did not bring electronics so that was one less thing to worry about when out and about. We found there was no time for that anyway because a med itinerary keeps you so busy.

While on the trains and buses, make sure your valuables are stored very securely. We had our backpack slashed open on a Naples bus, even though we were quite vigilant and aware.

As others have said make sure items can be worn multiple times with various colour mixes. We have just returned from a 6 week holiday with a 7 night med cruise in the middle. We had enough clothes to last for about 9 days - 10 at a stretch - but we had to mix winter and summer clothes as we were in England and Ireland were the temps were a lot cooler than the temps in Italy. About day 5 of the cruise they had a bag delivered to the cabin and you could fill it with as many items of underwear, t-shirts etc for a one off charge.

Good luck!

As suggested above, I would keep luggage to one rolling suitcase and a carry-on (or backpack) each, and since you'll be traveling on trains, the large suitcase will be easier to handle if you limit it to a maximum 25-26" one, and even smaller for your daughter. We have expandable 25" lightweight suitcases that work well.

You might also want to consider bringing cable locks (e.g. bicycle locks) if you are storing your luggage in a compartment on the train that is accessible to everyone. That way you can lock your bags together and possibly to a post.

We pack a week's worth of clothing and either do laundry ourselves or send it out. I buy as much lightweight clothing as I can ... outdoor stores are a good place to find daytime wear. My favorite piece is a long sleeve travel shirt (nylon) ... good for keeping the sun off and easy to wear over a t-shirt.

For packing techniques, I use large ziploc baggies to stay organized ... esp. for socks/nylons & underwear. I also use them for my formal wear to protect the fabric.

Enjoy your trip ... sounds wonderful! :)

We just did that trip.

We did laundry on the ship - full bag ( I think) 20.00 - pjs shorts and undies.

I brought a lot of casual dresses -

only one pair of jeans - they are so heavy and take up too much room.

lightweight pants and tops.

Lightweight suitcases are a must - it pays to buy a new one if the one you have weighs too much.

You will have a great time.

The laundry special on Brilliance included underwear, shorts, tshirts, pajamas, swimsuits & socks. That is a pretty good selection and it all came back neat and folded. Collared shirts would be excluded, but my kids wore mainly tshirts so it worked out well. I actually came back with clothes I had had cleaned and didn't get to wear again.

It is going to be very warm in the Med. at that time, so you won't need anything but the lightest clothing. For evening, a light wrap that goes with everything in case the a/c is too strong, and a light coverup for daytime that also goes with everything. My daytime cover was a long sleeved oxford cloth shirt, in beige. Take about 1/3 the t-shirts you daughter will need, because she will probably be buying souvenir shirts she can wear...I just read above that there are no self-service laundries on RCCL ships. EM

I too am packing for a 21 day trip to Europe. Started out with my 30" upright and carry-on. Weighed 65 lbs. Removed everything I could think of, cut my clothes in half and still weighed 55 lbs. I'm limited to 44 lbs, so had to do some serious rethinking. I just couldn't seem to get under the 44 lbs. mark.

My travelling friend asked me to shop with her for a new suitcase. She bought a 25", and that got me started thinking, went home and dug out my first Samsonite 26" suitcase. It only weighs about 6 lbs empty, it's not the new upright, it sits on wheel and you pull it behind you, but I was able to pack everything in it, but moving my organizer folder to the carry-on and now my suitcase weighs 35 lbs and my carry-on 20 lbs. So I have room for a few souvenirs.

I have 8 pair of pants, 18 tops, 12 sets of underwear, my walking shoes, and 1 pair of heels, 1 pair of velvet pants with two sparkly tops (for formal night), toiletries, and will carry my coat. I found individual packets of liquid Tide and will plan on doing laundry at least ONCE on the ship. I went to black, brown & beige pants with blouses to mix & match, plan on wearing 2 or maybe even 3 times before laundering. Underwear I will definitely have to do laundry at least once.

When we were allowed 70 lbs, the 30" suitcase and carry-on were nice, but now with the restrictions, the suitcase at 13 lbs just weighs too much. So be sure and weigh your suitcases empty before packing.

Good luck on your packing, and have a great trip.

I have learned to just take less--for any length trip it is the rolling garment bag and Rick Steves backpack for carry-on.

For our last cruise from Rome in Feb (so there were layers involved)

Day wear--2 slacks brown and black, 1capri, 1 broomstick skirt, five tops (for layering) 1 pair extra walking type flats, one pair dressy sandals.

Formal--black dressy slacks and three tops.

Bathing suit and wraps.

I will pack the same for our three week trip in March.

Don't forget to wear your heaviest clothing items. I wore my jacket (a blazer type that could be used for dinner also) and my hiking-type shoes. I also really cut down on jewelry and make-up.

It's not the flight restrictions that bother me as much as pre or post in a city and taxi or transport to and from ship (not to mention the ease for taking the train).

Be sure to do a "test drive" lug you stuff up and down stairs and around sidewalks (ok you will get funny looks but feel superior when you explain you are traveling overseas). If you can do that you will be fine--if not take more stuff out!!!

We took an 18 day bus tour of Europe about 2 years ago. The advantage of being on a cruise is that you will have the same room onboard each night. So you can wash tops, socks etc.in the sink and hang them to dry in your bathroom or even in the main room. We had to wait until we were in a hotel for 2 nights and then hope things would dry in time. We also took "old" underwear and when it was dirty we just tossed it making more room for soveniers. A bottle of Febreze came in handy for those times when something needed "freshening." I sprayed down my tote bag nearly every night. Another advantage with the cruise is that you can send things to be laundered and ironed. It's an extra charge, but at least you have clean clothes. ENJOY!

Chester, how great that you are planning ahead & doing the advance work for your family group. Even better that you are trying to present info to them about packing sensibly. I hope they keep you in mind; that you will probably be helping others in your group with their luggage, if your parents will need help, your wife, & your daughter. Here are some thoughts that I have just in case you need help to convince them to extremely downsize! ;)

1. On our Italy trips, the trains were only on the track for 5 minutes & the pre-posted track is not a promise. Don't know how your trains will work, but be aware. So, as we did, I suggest that you confirm the track after pull-in, fast walk (hauling luggage & keeping group together) to your train car with the mass of other people doing the same, haul all the luggage (& your group) up the very, very steep & narrow train steps (not wide enough for person carrying bag at their side - we did the one person in the train pulling up & one on the ground pushing up & we had 22" bags & are quite physically able!). We saw trains rolling while people were still throwing luggage on & jumping on themselves.

2. Once inside the train, you may have the option to place your luggage in the compartment at the end or front of the car - where you cannot watch it! We did not - it was always full. Therefore, to fit your luggage over your seats, (nice to be able to watch them there) you need to be able to lift your bag over your head with your arms almost fully extended while the train is moving. A mix between balancing act & weight lifter! Plus the over the seat space is obviously not large enough for lots of luggage.

3. Your train stations may have stairs without elevators or ramps - one of ours did.

4. We did not ever see porters available at the train stations to help travelers with luggage. We saw a few, but they never seemed to be available.

5. Your hotels may have elevators, but not like the ones in the US. Some of ours were big enough for 1 person & 1 bag. The big issue was the elevators only worked about 50% of the time - never have figured out why? So, consider you may have to haul all of the luggage up many stairs - that's why we always get 1st floor (USA 2nd floor). Most European hotels do not use the 1st floor for rooms, but they call the 2nd floor the 1st floor.

6. If too much luggage is taken, it will take 2 taxis, or 1 van with extra luggage space.

Just some of my thoughts on hauling luggage in Europe. Like agabbymama, we downsized from 2 wheelies per person (one 30" & one 24") to one 22" wheelie & a backpack. Best thing we ever did. Makes the trip so much more enjoyable. It doesn't matter whether we are going to Europe for 1 week or 6 weeks - we pack the same way.

You got some great responses on your thread, but I think I'll look up my packing list & post it. Hopefully it will give some additional info that will help.

I think the real secret is the clothes - I only take 'travel' clothes purchased from Travel Smith, Chicos, & others. Some are silky-type materials, some are thin but warm material for colder times. But all are thin enough to fold small, liteweight, & don't wrinkle. I found some absolutely gorgeous slacks at Carson Pirie Scott that are such; bought several pairs in dark brown, black, navy. I only wear dark slacks; don't have to worry about spots I can't remove.

Here's the packing list for DH & I. Each of us takes a 22" wheelie & a medium size, soft sided backpack - even for extended trips. The backpack is so great for having your hands free when checking in, boarding trains, climbing stairs, walking around the airport, etc.

7-8 pairs of slacks, 10 tops, 1 sweater (or sweatshirt, or slacks-type outfit jacket), underpants for every day up to 21, good thick ankle high walking socks up to 14 pairs, walking shoes (wear nice Naturalizers on plane to look better), nitegown, thin cotton knee length robe. I do not bring specific dressy wear; if needed, it can be made from my slacks & tops with scarf, & my Naturalizers are dressy flats. My husband wears dressy shoes on the plane also. Note: If going to cool/cold climate, wear 1 sweater or slacks-type outfit jacket over a top & under unlined, hood attached, big pockets, water proof raincoat with winter scarf & gloves in pockets. So far, winter coats only in Alaska. Always carry/wear our above described raincoats.

Then, hubby & I split the following between our 22" bags - personal toiletries & items, travel clock, flashlite (in case of hotel/ship emergency), disposible wash cloths (if going to Europe), extra tour books & maps, extension cord & 3way plug, converters & adapters (if Europe), hats, hankies, very small shoulder bag for touring, food treats (:p ), duct tape (in case bag rips), lots of baggies of all sizes, Walmart plastic bags for dirty clothes.

Our backpacks - RX & over the counter drugs, glasses (sun, reading, RX), pen, paper, soft rollup duffle bag for each of us (for dirty clothes in case we buy too much), extra top, extra underpants, extra pair of socks (in case we check bags & lose them!), my makeup (couldn't dare lose that; liquids to security baggie), eye glass repair kit, safety pins, hotel size sewing kit, all travel docs, camera, batteries & charger, small compass, cell phone & charger, mints, cough drops, bandaids, hankies, small calculator, tour book & map for arrival location.

I don't use the vacuum bags, but I do group items in 2 gallon baggies so if a bag ruptures, or security decides to empty my carryon, I don't have personal items spilling all over the place! It also keeps things organized & with the air squeezed out, I think it saves a little room.

With this list, I have never felt "deprived" of anything. What little hand washing I do is such a great exchange for the pleasure of not hauling around multiple & heavy luggage.

Good luck on your packing! Sounds like a wonderful trip & how great that all of you will have this wonderful family memory! :)

Edit Note: When we decided to try the 22" wheelie, we bought one with the thought of returning it if our "stuff" didn't fit. Found that not only did our stuff fit, we had some extra room! Bought another one.

Thank you very much for all the ideas and recommendations. They will be very helpful in our packing for next year's trip. Please don't hesitate to add any additional thoughts or insights.

Thanks,

chester

One thing never to pack on a hot summer trip--blue jeans, other than the quick-dry thin ones sold by travel clothing companies like Campmor, Magellans and Travelsmith. Otherwise, they are very heavy, too hot for a Med summer, and take forever to dry once washed.

I like the nylon/polyester explorer pants they sell that convert to shorts, so long as you don't mind looking too geeky. Five pairs of those are perfect for a 2 week trip.

Any CoolMax clothing is fabulous--light, comfortable, washes in the sink and dries overnight.

Les

Our family (my wife, our nine year old daughter, myself and my parents) will be taking a three week trip to Europe - Sunday, June 21, 2009 to Sunday, July 12, 2009. We will be spending three nights at a Holiday Inn in Paris before taking an overnight train to Barcelona to spend one night at a Hilton before our 12-night Eastern Med/Greek Isles cruise aboard the Brilliance of the Seas. Post cruise we'll spend two nights in Barcelona at the Hotel Continental before taking a day train back to Paris for a one night stay at a Hyatt prior to our flight back to the U.S.

Any thoughts and/or recommendations on how/what we should pack for this trip. My wife and I sailed the Western Med out of Rome in 2006, but this will be the first european trip/cruise for my parents and our youngest daughter. Obviously, we'd like to pack as light as possible but still take everything we'll need for the trip. Any insights on types of clothes, make/kind of luggage, packing techniques, etc. would be very helpful.

Thanks,

chester

We did a similar trip in April/May 2007.

The first thing to consider is to pack to the lowest denominator for weight. Pack for the airline that has the most restrictive baggage allowance.

Next, only take one rolling bag per person. It's MUCH easier to have each person pull their own, or the younger folks pulling two if G&G cannot do this.

We used rolling duffels, but that's because we had a very small car to rent on our land tour after our 12-night cruise.

Pack one week's worth of undies and jammies, and get them washed on board the ship mid-cruise and at the end. The other alternative is to take old stuff and a package of new stuff from WalMart or Target, and toss the old stuff when you've worn it. My husband did this with socks.

Each bag should have the Paris clothes on TOP, and organized in a big ziplock bag. Then, you only unpack that bag, leaving the main bag alone until the cruise. Same for the post-cruise stay.

Take layers, and it will likely be hot in Europe in July. Lightweight clothes that a jacket can be worn over. I take capris for day wear, and a windbreaker that I use on the ship and on shore if it gets windy or chilly.

Keep the shoes to a minimum, and for ladies that's a challenge. They add a LOT of weight. One pair of black evening sandals, one pair of day sandals, and one pair of walking shoes.

Lightweight, crushable hats, too.

I use Packmate bags (you squeeze the air out) for undies, jammies, robes, socks that can get wrinkled. Leaves more room for the good clothes.

I suggest separates for the women if they are dressing for formal nights: black slacks with fancy tops. Go for chiffon or georgette fabrics, since they pack well and are lightweight.

If the men take a suit, then take shirts that can be worn with the slacks on other nights.

The rule is nothing goes in the bag if it cannot be worn with at least two other tops or bottoms. No "onesy" outfits.

Buy a travel cosmetic bag for each person, and go to Walmart and buy the plastic travel containers. I love these, and they cost 69 cents each. They hold 3 oz, and it's just about enough for two weeks. Then, buy a small supply in a drugstore toward the end of your cruise; travel sizes if you can. Refill the travel bottles.

One carry-on bag per person. I take a tote that I use on board the ship, too. Noise cancelling headphones, iPod, eyemask, small bag of toiletries, blow up neck pillow.

WEIGH YOUR CHECKED BAG ON THE BATHROOM SCALE AT HOME!!!

By the way: we loooooooooooooooooooooooooved Paris!!!!

I learned from another traveler to go to the Good Will Store and buy 3 pairs of pants-dark colors, 5-7 shirts/blouses, one or 2 skirts, scarfs, and a light nylon-style jacket which cost from 25 cents to $2.50 each. Wash them when you get home. Then pack them in your light suitcase. At the end of your trip, toss them or give them to a charity and you now have room to bring home goodies bought on your trip. I usually take 8 pairs of socks and underwear so I only need to wash once during a two week cruise or vacation, or I wash different items in the sink, roll them up in a towel and press on it, then hang them on hangers to dry each night so I'm always wearing clean clothes. I use what I keep to wrap the gifts, etc. I buy to cushion them.

Judy

Judy, that is such an excellent tip. Never thought of that. Great for us as travelers, great for Goodwill (they are such a great charity & do so much good for the handicapped), & great for the maid at the last hotel (leave clothes in hotel room with note to please take &/or give to anyone who needs them.

Archived