"Extended Layover?"

Cruising for the first time? Our members will have you cruising like a pro in no time! Don't forget to read our 8000 reviews written by first timers just like you!
First Time Cruisers
You May Also Want to Read: Over 9,000 Published Cruise Reviews by First Time Cruisers

Best advice for first-time cruisers; learn how to pick a cabin, find the best cruise bargain, tips on what to pack.

Browse Cruise Critic's First Time Cruiser Resources (articles)
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 05:55 AM.
Holland
999 Posts
Joined Oct 2014
Originally posted by chengkp75
How does the cruise line get 7 extra days to extract money, when they are only getting a mark-up over the land concessionaire's charge? And while this may be your personal preference, I would have to say that the cruise line marketing departments have decided that the cost and expense of adding another embarkation terminal with infrastructure and problematic airline connections and the attendant compensations does not outweigh any additional revenue generated by a few cruisers who can afford a 21 day vacation.
"Only a mark-up" may not be thousands, but it is extra money. SPB is already, albeit hardly used, embarkation terminal. Especially SPB would be, IMHO, a perfect port. The demographic already on the ship is way above the 7 day treshold, both in time and money. Those are the ones of which, wild guess, at least 50% could also easily manage 21 days. Also, this is not a wild guess, the demographic that chooses a cruise to see SPB instead of an island, flies around the world for that, wants more than one overnight.
Holland
999 Posts
Joined Oct 2014
Originally posted by SRF
So how many rooms are available for this plan?

100? What happens if you only sell 50 on a cruise. But you sold out on the 14 day, just cruise?
All of them. Then you look at which cabins are sold and discount the segments/cruises where cabins are still empty. If one segment gets very popular a long time before final payment, you raise those prices. Anyway, look at the amazing range of opportunities Cunard can pull off. I think they have a general idea of how many cabins will be used for segmented cruises, to inform ports, suppliers, crew, tour operators, and whatnot. But I don't think they have a set limit.
United States
3,605 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
For what upside?

That is the point. Can it be done, yes. With issues and time and money to make it work.

For what purpose? Can you recoup the investment in time and money, and continuing marketing and tweaking to make it work?

And, even with all that, it does not balance out, you will sail with empty cabins.

If you like this, sail on Cunard. I doubt you will see it on the mass market lines.
Holland
999 Posts
Joined Oct 2014
Originally posted by SRF
For what upside?

That is the point. Can it be done, yes. With issues and time and money to make it work.

For what purpose? Can you recoup the investment in time and money, and continuing marketing and tweaking to make it work?

And, even with all that, it does not balance out, you will sail with empty cabins.

If you like this, sail on Cunard. I doubt you will see it on the mass market lines.
Ships hardly ever sail below capacity and I think that holds for Cunard as well.

Yes, issues, yes time, yes money. That's the same in any industry, there are always issues to solve, you will always need to invest. A lemonade stand has issues. http://video.foxnews.com/v/579231569...#sp=show-clips

Lines invest in climbing walls, Oprah, musicals, race tracks, specialty restaurants, underwater bars, stabilizers. None of those things make money. The purpose is to attract more clients, and somewhere along the line hopefully that investment pays off.

OP wants to stay longer in HK and specifically complains that no line offers the opportunity. Maybe the marketing people at Cunard are laughed at by the marketing departments of other lines, but I cruise for the itineraries and Cunard has just won my sympathy.