First time cruise after gastric sleeve

sydney dog

As far as I know, he is still having issues with chalky textures like the Unjury OPurity sleeve optimized multi-vitamin, but he manages to get it down.

I tried a couple of them and didn't like them either. I have the Unjury Calcium chewables and don't really like them either....they make my stomach get upset.

I am 12 years post-op, so my advice is more general than that directly for someone recently sleeved, but some thoughts:

- I am always much more comfortable if I don't drink 1/2 hour before meals, and nothing to drink with meals and nothing to drink after meals for about 2 hours.

- The way I look at a meal: if I am full, I don't care how much is left at the end, it isn't about quantity, just quality. Cruises provide great options, almost anything you want. Healthy foods are readily available and prepared for you! Take advantage. So many times I've thought to myself how nice it would be to have a personal chef, a cruise affords you the luxury of having almost anything you want! Lots of fruit and veg options I don't buy at home.

-In the main dining rooms things are prepared buffet style and plated in advance. I don't like waste either, but at the end of it, all the food will be thrown out that is plated in the kitchen, so I don't feel bad just eating what I want. I will ask for app or half size portions, if they have it great, if not, I will still order what I want to eat, and will only eat to comfortable level. I also have just ordered side dishes if that is what I want.

-Some asked about protein bars... My favorite high protein bars are Pure Protein pb & chocolate. My favorite snack bar is Special K Chocolate Peanut Pecan Protein Bar. I also like all the Nutrisystem breakfast bars. Their lunch bars are more meal-replacement, but do taste good too.

-I try not to snack, at home and on a cruise. My portions are pretty controlled, but eating all day is easy if I go slow enough, so to avoid gains, I just have to tell myself I can eat whatever I'd like during my meal just a smaller portion. Sometimes on vacation that means chips & chocolate for lunch, but at least it is instead of my meal and not in ADDITION to it.

Please let me know if you have other questions :)

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone. I was the OP for advice on cruising after gastric sleeve surgery. Just to update, I was on track for the end of this month (1/19). In Sept 18 I was diagnosed with breast cancer. My bariatric surgeon put me on hold until this is taken care of. Fortunately, it was caught very early and after surgery and radiation, I’m on my way to recovery. I’m not counting the surgery out, but we’ll have to see. Our May cruise is still on and I’m trying to lose on my own. So far I’m down 26 lbs and working on more. 

3 hours ago, collector said:

Hi everyone. I was the OP for advice on cruising after gastric sleeve surgery. Just to update, I was on track for the end of this month (1/19). In Sept 18 I was diagnosed with breast cancer. My bariatric surgeon put me on hold until this is taken care of. Fortunately, it was caught very early and after surgery and radiation, I’m on my way to recovery. I’m not counting the surgery out, but we’ll have to see. Our May cruise is still on and I’m trying to lose on my own. So far I’m down 26 lbs and working on more. 

I'm so sorry to hear you had a setback.Best wishes during your recovery. AND fantastic job on the weight loss!!!

Collector, my Dad was also denied for having the surgery (his is probably permanent deferral due to age and heart condition).  He did continue with the diet plan though and has lost around 60#, drastically reduced the amount of insulin he needs for his type 2 diabetes, and is now walking 3 miles most days (before he struggled to walk 1/4 mile).

I'm glad your cruise is still proceeding and hope your recovery goes well.