Portland, ME Lighthouses

mirrajay

Hey there -

I will be in Portland this October as part of the Carnival Victory cruise and would love to see some of the lighthouses. I assume I can SEE them when we are coming into port, but if I wanted to go in and look around, I can do that right?

I have noticed that some are only about 5 miles from the Terminal, but what is the best way for me to get there? Will there be taxis at that Terminal? Or is there a better form of public transport? I am trying to avoid the shore excursions offered by the cruise line - it just seems so restricting.

Thanks!

~Carey

Carnival Victory, here I come!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;10;02;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

You will see many of the lighthouses in Casco Bay. One way to see the Portland Head Light is to take the Trolley tour (about an hour from locals) and then hop one of the harbor cruises. Last year they had some restrictions on the locals right AT the pier but if you get off the ship, head down the pier and then hang a left and go two blocks there are a bunch of them there.. and some fabulous seafood restaurants for lunch. This is one town you can do on your own defintely. Check this out and lemme know if you have any questions http://www.visitportland.com/vaca.html (and don't do Carny tour in Sydney either if you want to go to Louisbourg.. see thread down here re Sydney)

Host Caroline

<font SIZE="1">One can never have too many days at sea...</font> icon_smile.gif

Sept 04-Royal Hounds Mariner of the Seas

Feb 05-Partae Pirates Carnival Miracle

Thanks Caroline. Do any of the trolly tours take me TO Portland Head Light, where I can get off and check it out? I understand there is a museum there, but am I allowed in the light house?

Carnival Victory, here I come!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;10;02;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

The company we went with took us to Portland Headlight by trolley and then included a cruise in the bay later in the day. Mainley Tours operates out of a gift shop near the port.. but I don't think they book ahead of time. We got the land and sea combo ticket with these folks[http://www.marinerfleet.com/. Next time I want to check out Eagle Island..

Right along the street by the bay bet. dock and where tours leave from are a bunch of wonderful restaurants. We ate at Gilberts.. the lobster roll and seafood chowder were to die for.>. all of the places looked wonderful but we got a table outside here..

Host Caroline

<font SIZE="1">One can never have too many days at sea...</font> icon_smile.gif

Sept 04-Royal Hounds Mariner of the Seas

Feb 05-Partae Pirates Carnival Miracle

• 1 month later...

Mainely tours is very reputable. I am a resident here and I will vouch for them. There is also a Duck Tour of the city if you are interested.

There are two lights at the entrance to the harbor, both at the end of breakwalls and Broadway in South Portland. Bug light was recently recommisioned is part of a new park. Spring Point light is accessable from Southern Maine Community College and is at the end of decent breakwall off Fort Preble. Both are short, but are very beautiful. Portland Headlight is the most visited and includes a gift shop and museum.

Rich

We are going on Victory Sept 25th out of New York to Halifax.

For our stop in Portland we have booked a tour with oceanview tours I found them searching the web. I talk with a guy named Mark.

a combination of The Best of Portland and Kennebunkport, which we will see serval light house and several Victorian Mansion and of Kennebunkport is where George & Barbara Bush's vacation home is.

Hope this helps;)

• 2 weeks later...

Portland Head Light is one of the most visited light houses in New England. You are not allowed inside though (last time I visited). Also, if you rent a car, you would have time to drive North to Damasscota, Maine and their Lighthouse is just gorgeous. Watch out for the rocks and the sea!

Bon Voyage

Archived