Fall Colors

rwilson251

The leaves start changing color in Mid Sept in upper New England. For northern NE the peak is usually the last weekend of Sept, first weekend of Oct. For Southern NE, Columbus Day weekend and the 3rd weekend of Oct ate usually the peak.

Well, I was going to reply, but it looks like Kitty has hit the nail on the head. She is exactly right. We decided to go in early October and risk cooler weather than go in September and risk being too early for the "changing of the leaves" :)

Well, I was going to reply, but it looks like Kitty has hit the nail on the head. She is exactly right. We decided to go in early October and risk cooler weather than go in September and risk being too early for the "changing of the leaves" :)

Good move.. last year it was so warm in northern Nova Scotia in late September.. in the 80's and they didn't have a night cold enough to get the leaves started till mid-Oct. Not the usual thing but it would have been refreshing to have some "cool" fall air!

Best for colors however is INTERIOR not the coastal areas. With any ports that are long- RENT a car. Especially if you haven't experienced the change of colors it will be very worthwhile. Most states keep foliage tracking web sites to keep track of trends. The leaves don't last long once they have turned and even shorter with a rain or wind.

Calling on all you New Englanders or those who have done this cruise in the past! We are on the Grand Princess 10/10-10/17, and will be stopping in Halifax, Saint John, Bar Harbor, Boston and Newport. I've been on a number of cruises, and the shore excursions are always overpriced. I'm thinking about renting a car for us and our traveling companions (4 people total) in some of the ports. Other than Boston where the traffic is bad and the public transportation is good, in which ports would you suggest renting a car?

Thanks, Kathy

Calling on all you New Englanders or those who have done this cruise in the past! We are on the Grand Princess 10/10-10/17, and will be stopping in Halifax, Saint John, Bar Harbor, Boston and Newport. I've been on a number of cruises, and the shore excursions are always overpriced. I'm thinking about renting a car for us and our traveling companions (4 people total) in some of the ports. Other than Boston where the traffic is bad and the public transportation is good, in which ports would you suggest renting a car?

Thanks, Kathy

Have done this cruise and visited the ports you are going to on vacation ex. Newport. Actually you don't need a car to do any of these ports and in fact, it's almost impossible to rent one in Bar Harbor (if at all). Check http://www.barharbormaine.com to be sure. Here you can do things on your own easily... there are several independents that go into Acadia National Park and make "the circle" .. a unique day is to go out with a lobsterman as he sets his traps et... Lobster Boat Lulu is found on the website above under "activities". There is a wonderful walking tour of the "historic" district and many places on the water for a delightful lunch.

In Halifax depending on port time you will find a lot of traffic and a ton of tourists at Peggy's Cove. Major car rental companies have locations downtown and some are at the port area. There is a wealth of activities within walking distance: the Citadelle which is up the hill a couple of blocks; the Maritime Museum right on the waterfront - an excellent facility with a wide range of interactive exhibits and craft to tour; harbor cruises that go back into the harbor to naval base area -- on sailing vessels, paddlewheelers etc. If the Bluenose II is in port, highly recommend choosing her. Many many places to have lunch on the waterfront also. There are a lot of locals along the waterfront between where you will dock and the end of the "boardwalk" that have sailing tours etc. right there. Another option is the "duck tour".. you can book onboard ship, ahead of time or if you are lucky, on the dock. Check out http://www.halifaxinfo.com

In St John the reversing rapids jetboat is a IMHO only a great tour or you can do on your own. The brewery is a popular option.. depending on length of port call.. Did you post over on Canada also (haven't checked there yet).... there are several locals who may have other ideas as we've only done jetboat and spent some time in market area here. New Brunswick is a lovely province and you might want to rent a car to go to FDR's home (now open) and tour the surrounding area IF you have a long enough port call to make it worthwhile.

Wonderful information. I have gotten to the point where I don't leave home without consulting Cruise Critic. Thanks again, Kathy

You're welcome:) .. and one thing in Saint John that you can do if you want to get out of the town itself is drive along the Bay of Fundy... would need rental car for this definitely to do at your own pace.

Archived