upsell fairy with pathetic offer

golfadj

Just got a call from the infamous upsell fairy on our Dec 14 Dream cruise.

Balconies were sold out but apparently had a cancellation.

Wanted $ 350 total to move us from inside to balcony on deck 9 (near where we were last year on the Dream.

Told him way to much and offered half and he kind of laughed and said bye.

I would also have turned it down as I am happy in my inside cabin.

Wanted $ 350 total to move us from inside to balcony on deck 9 (near where we were last year on the Dream.

$350 total? I think I would have taken that. And I'm sure someone else did.

Good move!-That $350 is way better in your pocket then CCL!!

Say no to the upsell TROLL!! :eek:

How does upselling work (or the fairy?) I'm reading more about it now, but when I called this morning to see what the price would be to go from an inside cabin to a balcony, she said the usual charge was $50 per cabin. Well, we jumped at that deal and got two extended balconies!

(Carnival Miracle, Feb 22nd sailing, 7 day cruise)

Are we missing out trying to upgrade ourselves like that?

Edited by Zarabear

How does upselling work (or the fairy?) I'm reading more about it now, but when I called this morning to see what the price would be to go from an inside cabin to a balcony, she said the usual charge was $50 per cabin. Well, we jumped at that deal and got two extended balconies!

A phone call from the Carnival upsell dept offering me this super duper wonderful deal that I thought was pathetic.

Folks sometimes get a phone call or an email when it gets close to the cruise date with an offer for a better cabin.

Sometimes the deal is good, sometimes not worth the money they want,

Edited by limoguy1

Seems like half the people responding would have grabbed the offer, and half would have been content with their inside. I myself would have been ambivalent, as I do not mind inside cabins, but also appreciate balconies. However, the very fact that many would have grabbed the offer is proof enough that there was nothing pathetic in the offer. In fact, in my opinion the title of OP's thread is arguably, well, pathetic!

Folks sometimes get a phone call or an email when it gets close to the cruise date with an offer for a better cabin.

Sometimes the deal is good, sometimes not worth the money they want,

Thanks for explaining! It was very odd when I called this morning. She took my number and called me back to let me know what it would be ($50 per room) She said it was a great rate, and it got us out of the inside cabin! :)

Thanks for explaining! It was very odd when I called this morning. She took my number and called me back to let me know what it would be ($50 per room) She said it was a great rate, and it got us out of the inside cabin! :)

Yes, kinda odd....CCL usually makes the call/email.

Seems like half the people responding would have grabbed the offer, and half would have been content with their inside. I myself would have been ambivalent, as I do not mind inside cabins, but also appreciate balconies. However, the very fact that many would have grabbed the offer is proof enough that there was nothing pathetic in the offer. In fact, in my opinion the title of OP's thread is arguably, well, pathetic!

Half the people who said they would have taken the offer probably would not have push comes to shove. Talk is cheap.

When the inside went for $ 409 dont see how I would justify adding 175 for the balcony.

BTW would you rather cruise 3x a year in an inside or 2x in an OV or balcony?

Half the people who said they would have taken the offer probably would not have push comes to shove. Talk is cheap.

When the inside went for $ 409 dont see how I would justify adding 175 for the balcony.

BTW would you rather cruise 3x a year in an inside or 2x in an OV or balcony?

3X

Like I said. The $350 looks better in your pocket.

We almost always get a balcony, but last year on the Liberty (7 days out of Miami), I had chosen an inside for the first time. It was kind of an "extra cruise" for us since we don't usually do more than 1 a year, so I was telling myself I'd be satisfied with an inside on deck 9. A week before sailing, the upsell fairy called and offered a deck 9 balcony for $250 more total, and we took it. Didn't get to find out how we would have liked/disliked an inside.

I thought $250 was a pretty good deal, $350 not so much, especially for the week before Christmas.

We have a 6K deluxe scenic ocean view on the Glory next week, but I haven't heard from the fairy this time.

Looking soon after at website saw that I could move my inside from deck 2 to deck 9 for total of $ 40 and grabbed that.

On recent cruises with balconies we were not on it all that much to justify 350.

Last year we upselled ourselves from inside to balcony for $ 300 and in retrospect was not worth it.

agree with you..Not big on balconies

Never had a balcony, and it does not bother me to not get one. I like OV or inside. I would rather have more spending money.:D

We splurged and got a balcony on our first cruise, and I agree with the spending money part. :) It was too hot, too humid, or too windy to enjoy it. Plus, they are tiny unless you get a GS. We NEVER sat on the balcony, we were out there for maybe 10 minutes our entire cruise!

We also have to drive from South Dakota to a port, and $350 is a LOT of gas money. Ha!

Edited by TruckinMama