upsell fairy with pathetic offer

golfadj

Just got a call from the infamous upsell fairy on our Dec 14 Dream cruise.

Balconies were sold out but apparently had a cancellation.

Wanted $ 350 total to move us from inside to balcony on deck 9 (near where we were last year on the Dream.

Told him way to much and offered half and he kind of laughed and said bye.

I would have laughed as well. I bet the next person grabbed the upsell.

We splurged and got a balcony on our first cruise, and I agree with the spending money part. :) It was too hot, too humid, or too windy to enjoy it. Plus, they are tiny unless you get a GS. We NEVER sat on the balcony, we were out there for maybe 10 minutes our entire cruise!

We also have to drive from South Dakota to a port, and $350 is a LOT of gas money. Ha!

Balcony is rather small and too small for a lounge chair.

Its nice in the morning to sit outside and read. Once or twice we would order room service breakfast and have it on the balcony and watch us pull into port.

Can be to hot in the afternoon to use it and in the evening we take advantage of the entertainment.

Glad it went well with the wife. Did my first cruise without a balcony since my first cruise, last month, and didnt feel like I was on a ship half the time without my private waterfront seats.... I fear Im spoiled and would have jumped on that offer. Not a bad deal for a 7 day

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Forums mobile app

Never had a balcony, and it does not bother me to not get one. I like OV or inside. I would rather have more spending money.:D

I'm with you, I love spending my money elsewhere. When my hubby goes, we do get a balcony (even obstructed) as he likes to be out there for hours.

Might not be a good deal to you, but it doesn't sound pathetic

GO MIZZOU!!!!!!!

When I get a call just before the cruise I expect it to be a good deal.

The upcharge is about what it was at the website a week ago when we booked.

When I get a call just before the cruise I expect it to be a good deal.

The upcharge is about what it was at the website a week ago when we booked.

Without knowing how many days this cruise is it's hard to say how good or bad it is, but if its at least 7 days, less than $600 is pretty good. Maybe not to you, but it is to some.

GO MIZZOU!!!!!!!

Whether $350 is worth it to you to move from an inside to a balcony is a reasonable point.

It works out to 25 per person per day .It would easily be worth it to me for a 7 day cruise.

What I don't get is your use of the word "pathetic". Why pathetic? This seems like an extreme word for this offer.

If it wasn't worth it to you, so be it but the using this word seems like an over-statement.

Edited by richstowe

Without knowing how many days this cruise is it's hard to say how good or bad it is, but if its at least 7 days, less than $600 is pretty good. Maybe not to you, but it is to some.

GO MIZZOU!!!!!!!

7 days. $350 is excellent.

I would not expect prices to vary much in a week when booking a last minute cruise. Just does not seem reasonable.

Whether $350 is worth it to you to move from an inside to a balcony is a reasonable point.

It works out to 25 per person per day .It would easily be worth it to me for a 7 day cruise.

What I don't get is your use of the word "pathetic". Why pathetic? This seems like an extreme word for this offer.

If it wasn't worth it to you, so be it but the using this word seems like an over-statement.

I agree. The OP may not have liked the deal, but hopefully others will realize it was a fair offer and not expect to be able to wheel and deal - at least not if they are interested in an inside to balcony upgrade.

Half the people who said they would have taken the offer probably would not have push comes to shove. Talk is cheap.

When the inside went for $ 409 dont see how I would justify adding 175 for the balcony.

BTW would you rather cruise 3x a year in an inside or 2x in an OV or balcony?

I don't get your point. Talk is all one has on a discussion forum. As far as choosing more cruises, I would have made your choice, 3x on the inside, while my wife would have unhesitatingly made the 2x choice. (I've been married 45 years -- guess which we would have done!)

And that was my point. The title of the thread is really inappropriate for an offer that so many people would have grabbed.

Incidentally, for those who love balconies, the choice comes down to quantity versus quality. Some would choose quality, which is why I am rather certain they had no shortage of cruisers grabbing their offer.

I don't get your point. Talk is all one has on a discussion forum. As far as choosing more cruises, I would have made your choice, 3x on the inside, while my wife would have unhesitatingly made the 2x choice. (I've been married 45 years -- guess which we would have done!)

And that was my point. The title of the thread is really inappropriate for an offer that so many people would have grabbed.

Incidentally, for those who love balconies, the choice comes down to quantity versus quality. Some would choose quality, which is why I am rather certain they had no shortage of cruisers grabbing their offer.

I still maintain pathetic is reasonable but surprised people are quibbling over title of thread.

They are trying to fill a cabin at the last minute (3 days before sailing) and would expect a substantially discounted price.

IMHO price was pathetically high but feel free to disagree with it. My wife does.

Might not be a good deal to you, but it doesn't sound pathetic

GO MIZZOU!!!!!!!

Pathetic is the upsell we just got offered..For $530 we can go from Obstructed Jr Suite to Grand Suite...Sensation..after doing a "mock" booking it was a savings of $6....not interested

Pathetic is the upsell we just got offered..For $530 we can go from Obstructed Jr Suite to Grand Suite...Sensation..after doing a "mock" booking it was a savings of $6....not interested

You must be on saturday's sailing. I saw there were 6 or 8 grand suites left and figured they would be trying to unload them. lol They must have gotten someone to take them because they are all gone except U69 (HC) now.

Seems like half the people responding would have grabbed the offer, and half would have been content with their inside. I myself would have been ambivalent, as I do not mind inside cabins, but also appreciate balconies. However, the very fact that many would have grabbed the offer is proof enough that there was nothing pathetic in the offer. In fact, in my opinion the title of OP's thread is arguably, well, pathetic!
Oops :o I missed this post so I repeated the same sentiments but not as well.
Half the people who said they would have taken the offer probably would not have push comes to shove. Talk is cheap.

When the inside went for $ 409 dont see how I would justify adding 175 for the balcony.

BTW would you rather cruise 3x a year in an inside or 2x in an OV or balcony?

This is only true if the sole cost of a cruise is the actual cruise price.

With transportation (Air, car rental, parking etc), hotels, on and off board purchases etc etc, the actual cruise price

only makes up a third to less then half of our cruise costs. Therefore the "cruise 3x a year VS 2x in an OV or balcony" is not true for most.

The cost of Air alone has been roughly the cost of our cruises and that's for a cheap restricted ticket vs a balcony cabin !

Even those who live at/near the post have other costs.

Unless you get dropped off at the port, take off all tips and don't buy a thing ,this calculation is false.

While I would not take that offer either, still doesn't make it pathetic. It boils Down to what someone is willing to pay, the fact you are willing to shell out for any kind of suite would be considered pathetic to some people. Not everyone wants, or is willing to pay, for a suite, or a balcony, or an OV.

GO MIZZOU!!!!!!!

I still maintain pathetic is reasonable but surprised people are quibbling over title of thread.

They are trying to fill a cabin at the last minute (3 days before sailing) and would expect a substantially discounted price.

IMHO price was pathetically high but feel free to disagree with it. My wife does.

Quibble or not, the title sets the tone. Words like pathetic, danger, warning, beware etc... Usually don't go over well, especially when it's just an opinion.

GO MIZZOU!!!!!!!

You must be on saturday's sailing. I saw there were 6 or 8 grand suites left and figured they would be trying to unload them. lol They must have gotten someone to take them because they are all gone except U69 (HC) now.

Actually it is on Feb 2...2014

While I would not take that offer either, still doesn't make it pathetic. It boils Down to what someone is willing to pay, the fact you are willing to shell out for any kind of suite would be considered pathetic to some people. Not everyone wants, or is willing to pay, for a suite, or a balcony, or an OV.

You are right..pathetic is not the word i should of used:o...to us it is a choice and by choice we passed on the offer.