Rent the Runway for Gala Nights

Still think eBay is the best go-to spot for occasional use formal wear items. Men and women.

Then, you are stuck with something unless you turn around and re-sell on eBay or throw in the trash.

RTR and The Black Tux let someone wear something that is au courant, not an old fashion. But, some people are comfortable wearing the same dress or tux cruise after cruise, year after year ;)

Then, you are stuck with something unless you turn around and re-sell on eBay or throw in the trash.

RTR and The Black Tux let someone wear something that is au courant, not an old fashion. But, some people are comfortable wearing the same dress or tux cruise after cruise, year after year ;)

You can get things so cheaply, you can toss them and still be ahead. Give it a try. Yes, I still wear my lovely long black velvet cruise after cruise, since I still see the same style offered when I go looking for something new. A classic.

Start with formal line brand you like, like maybe Adrianna Pappell, and see what turns up. Alex Evenings use to be a good choice but not so much now but occasional finds maybe. See what the department stores offer from evening wear brands. Learn your size and have fun.

My daughter subscribes to the Rent the Runway service and it has been really great for her, as she has to attend a lot of functions with work and she always looks awesome. But...just this weekend was her husband's office "gala" and the dress did not arrive. First slip-up, but it was an important one.

So...having had a difficult time having overnight packages delivered correctly to hotels in the past anyway, coupled with this recent goof-up my daughter had with her rental dress, I just wouldn't risk it.

And honestly, as others have said, formality is much reduced on the cruises. A simple pretty dress in the suitcase should do it for you.

Yes, I still wear my lovely long black velvet cruise after cruise, since I still see the same style offered when I go looking for something new. A classic.

A true classic will endure and I'd rather have a professionally-tailored classic that fits like it was made for me than an ill-fitting rental. I've never had a non-casual dress that couldn't benefit from a trip to the tailor.

There's also a company that rents designer handbags, but I don't see the point. My black LV Alma is a classic that will last a lifetime.

Different strokes for different folks, but renting seeing like a recurring expense and a hassle to me.

My neighbor uses them all of the time. I, however searched the sale rack at Macy's for my upcoming Koninsgdam cruise. Since we still like to play dress up on a cruise ( both wore uniforms for work ) I found a really nice long, black and silver gown for $45.00. Much less even than Rent the Runway. It folds up into a little 6" cube for packing, and doesn't wrinkle. To each his own, but I really like getting dressed for special occasions.

My neighbor uses them all of the time. I, however searched the sale rack at Macy's for my upcoming Koninsgdam cruise. Since we still like to play dress up on a cruise ( both wore uniforms for work ) I found a really nice long, black and silver gown for $45.00. Much less even than Rent the Runway. It folds up into a little 6" cube for packing, and doesn't wrinkle. To each his own, but I really like getting dressed for special occasions.

Agree. The fun, formal fabrics today are so light weight and packable. As if the industry responded to both packing and baggage limitations. Feather-weight sequins replaced the heavy beads of yore. They are often a delight to wear, with just enough stretch to be supremely comfortable as well. It is fun to get dressed up today.

I tried Rent the Runway for the first time last month and absolutely loved the service and the dress. Can't wait to order something from them again. I would definitely recommend it. Dh and I still like getting dressed up for formal night, I am going to check out the unlimited subscription.

This definitely is a case of "to each her own" regarding renting clothes. Others have mentioned this but I just have to ask: Do you have a plan B in case the dresses don't arrive at the hotel in time?

Hit the thrift stores in town. Or, just go to a store with better apparel and do what you would have done before - buy a dress.

This is an excellent addition to the choices women have to select gorgeous clothing for Gala nights. I've looked at the site, and love the clothes!

I had no idea that there was such a site.

This is not for me right now, as I have formal & cocktail dresses that pack easily for cruising. But once they won't work anymore, I may just take a more serious look at Rent the Runway. Thank you for introducing me to the option.

This definitely is a case of "to each her own" regarding renting clothes.

Could not agree more!

Do you have a plan B in case the dresses don't arrive at the hotel in time?

GREAT question- one I've now given some thought to. Since I have been using their service- and will be from now to August- I have a pretty good idea on their turn-around time. That said, we are arriving to Anchorage early (Thursday), then spending some days in Denali. If the dresses aren't there when we first arrive...well, I will have them FedEx something I suppose , for delivery on Saturday. If all else fails, I shrug and go on living a happy life. If I don't get to dress-up, then I will luxuriate in room service.

This is kind of an FYI...

I have an Unlimited subscription to a site called Rent the Runway. For $135/month, I get a 3 items at a time with no limit on time. It's kind of like Netflix for clothes.

I have read many posts about Gala Nights, and women saying they just don't have room to pack dresses anymore. This service might solve that issue!

-they will deliver to a hotel (give concierge head's up beforehand)

-returns must be from within US, but it does include Alaska and Hawaii

-they arrive in a black "carry-on" case (image added. This contained 3 prom dresses, btw)

I plan to have some formal dresses sent to our Anchorage hotel, and then ship back from one of the AK ports. So I get to look very fancy but not have to worry about extra bags or the fees that now entails. Also- no need to spend $$ on formal wear I would never wear again.

Icecreamlady, Have been following your thread for several days & think the "Rent a Runway" is a terrific idea.. However you should be of something which happened to us in Alaska: Quote from a post I made in 2008:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=16022805#post16022805

We sailed from Seward to YVR on HAL’s “Veendam” last week & decided to act on a suggestion made by a C.C. Roll Call member, who frequently mails priority packages home for $9.00 from Ketchikan…The U.S. Post Office is only a block from the HAL dock...

We planned on mailing home some Christmas gifts, all of which were purchased in Alaska, including 2 Ulu Knives & boards, a Native doll & Fur vest but realized that the Priority Mail Box at the Post office was too small for these bulky items. We found a Business Supply store nearby & purchased a larger carton & sealing tape, then went back to the ship to pack it up…

We were able to stuff in a few personal items of clothing no longer needed. On disembarking the ship with our sealed box, we were stopped by HAL’s Security Officer, who informed us that we must clear U.S. Customs. The U.S. Customs Agents had previously been at the ship, but had already left...

We were stunned clear.png?emoji-confused-1977 & could not understand why this was so, since we were U.S. citizens who purchased these items for our personal use or gifts for Family & Friends in the United States. We were mailing them from a U.S. Port to our home address also in the U.S.…The Security Officer had us consult with the Port Agent who would either drive us to Customs or call the Customs Agents on the phone..

Fortunately, while we were talking to the Port Agent one of the U.S. Customs Officers was still at the dock, overheard our conversation & offered to assist us…

He was such a nice Young Man & explained that HAL was a Foreign Flag Carrier & we were in effect in a foreign country while on board. If the HAL officer had permitted us to take the items off the ship without clearing Customs, HAL could be fined as much as $15,000 per person...

We had to obtain a Customs Form from the Ship, present it to the U.S. Customs Officer who then would clear our package for mailing home...

On final disembarkation in YVR, the Canadian Customs Agent specifically asked if we had mailed anything home & when we said yes, wanted to know the contents of the package. We couldn't remember everything we put in the box, but she cleared us through anyway…

Our package mailed via Parcel Post, should arrive in 2-3 weeks at a cost of about $25.00 for box, tape & postage, but it was worth it not to have to add to our luggage weight..

You may have no trouble returning your dress or you might be stopped.. I would not try to do this again as it took too much of our time away from enjoying the town..:cool:

Also note that even on our trip, almost 10 years ago, there were very few gowns..

Posting Quick Reply - Please Wait

Icecreamlady, Have been following your thread for several days & think the "Rent a Runway" is a terrific idea.. However you should be of something which happened to us in Alaska: Quote from a post I made in 2008:

WOW- GREAT info. Must check with HAL. That may be a deal-breaker.

Thats a great idea! I love dressing up in sparkly fancy dresses. But I just go to Ross and pick them up for $25. I stepped out of my room in the one I bought for my recent cruise and my 12yo daughter said..:o WOW MOM!! You look amazing!!! :hearteyes: Love that kid. :') As my girls get older im definitely going to check out rent the runway!

• 5 months later...