13 month old on a cruise ship

0time2cruise

I’m sure that is the case most frequently, but I do sympathize for the passengers on a long awaited, hard earned vacation having it disrupted by a baby crying every morning! I would NOT be happy! When we cruised with our granddaughter, if she began to fuss, her mother took her up Out of the cabin areas and pushed her in her stroller. Also, if nobody was in the library, that is where she would let her crawl around and burn off steam.

I understand the point. We have traveled with our grand children from 6 months old (actually one grand daughter was exactly six months old on her first cruise which we had to prove to be ton the ship) to 10 years old (so far). I have taken a grand daughter out of the MDR as she was getting a little bored in there and she went up and down a stairwell with me about 50 times.... My point was that a post was implying that young children don't belong.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have sailed with our kids and took the youngest for the first time when he was 14 months old. Honestly, I was quite nervous because some of the people on these boards are rather negative about kids on cruises. But we had such a great experience. All of the staff loved our kids, especially the baby and we were lucky to have kind neighbors and tablemates. And yes kids in a cabin do make noise, but they are basically silent from 8 pm to 7 am and we have absolutely been beside the drunk college crowd and also a nice elderly couple who coughed and coughed and coughed all night long for 7 days. You never know what you are going to get! We just don't plan on much night life but still very much enjoy our cruises. I second the tip of trying to get baby to sleep thru dinner by walking laps ahead of time. We also never bring a stroller but a baby carrier I would just put him in and wear. My parents would also eat lunch around 1130, then come keep the baby for about an hour while he napped so we could eat lunch alone with the bigger kids. We have also been on ships with the water works which basically is a sprinkler (not standing water), and I would let the baby splash around in the puddles on the outskirts. Nobody seemed to mind. I am sure y'all will have a great time with your sweet grandbaby :)

Doesn't matter if it's not standing water. Unless the ship specifically says kids who aren't potty trained are allowed, then they should not be playing in any water feature. (*NO* Carnival ship currently allows non-potty trained kids in any pool or water area). If the child poops in the area, they have to shut it down for 24 hours to decontaminate for fecal bacteria. Please don't do that to the rest of the passengers.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

I feel you. We had a spa cabin last time and there was a room across the hall with a baby that cried at 7am EVERY DAY. What I observed happening was when the child cried, they carried him out into the hallway so that the other parent could sleep. Gee, thanks for that!

Last cruise I had a couple with a baby in the next room. I could hear screaming, crying, banging on the wall pretty much all day, every day. It was quiet when they went to sleep but it started back up around 7am so no sleeping in. That’s the first time I was actually ready to get off the boat and go home.

All of the staff loved our kids, especially the baby and we were lucky to have kind neighbors and tablemates.

I have sailed with a 16 month old twice and a toddler also, it was a wonderful experience and the staff loved the kids so much, most of them have kids at home that they miss very much. because of this they go out of there way for your kids. I love my cruises and taking my kids on it makes it that much better. Traveling with children of any age is hard. And it does feel that way to often people around you are giving dirty looks because I made a choice to bring my child. What I have come to realize is, everyone has an opinion about how I should do things or about what I should do or not do with my children, but in the end, I am the one that gets to do me. And doing me involves exposing my children to as many new experiences as I can. Go cruise, love every second of it, and dont worry one second about what others around you might dislike or think about what you are doing.

IMO infants should stay at home if at all possible. They are more susceptible to germs since they have their hands and feet in their mouths a lot and they won't even know they were on a cruise. We had a crying baby next cabin for 7 days once. Not much to say to the parents, babies cry. Another time a small child in a highchair in MDR threw everything put in front of her on the floor. when the parents asked for a box of Cheerios the kid threw that all over the floor too and screamed bloody murder...I love kids but sometimes parents put them in situations they shouldn't be in.

IMO infants should stay at home if at all possible. They are more susceptible to germs since they have their hands and feet in their mouths a lot and they won't even know they were on a cruise. We had a crying baby next cabin for 7 days once. Not much to say to the parents, babies cry. Another time a small child in a highchair in MDR threw everything put in front of her on the floor. when the parents asked for a box of Cheerios the kid threw that all over the floor too and screamed bloody murder...I love kids but sometimes parents put them in situations they shouldn't be in.

Thank you for your opinion, It seems that you have had the wonderful opportunity to have the option of having a babysitter that you trust any time you want to leave your child for 7 days. Having an adult vacation is not always an option, or the desired option for that matter. I am sorry that you were stuck next to a crying baby for 7 days that sounds very disappointing, I do hope that did not destroy your experience, but i am glad that the parents had the oportunity and the guts to still have a vacation that I am sure they needed, even with the crying or the throwing food

I feel you. We had a spa cabin last time and there was a room across the hall with a baby that cried at 7am EVERY DAY. What I observed happening was when the child cried, they carried him out into the hallway so that the other parent could sleep. Gee, thanks for that!

carnival sold a Spa cabin to accommodate a family even though Spa access is not allowed for under 18 years old? Weird

Anyways, our son is about to turn 3 and has been on 5 cruises; his first was on carnival at 10 months. He is not a crier so this wasn't an issue for us. It was a great vacation, they all have been. No "being in the wrong place at the wrong time". Need a nap? Room is 5 minutes away. Time for dinner? No packing up car and driving to a restaurant and waiting. Want to watch a movie, head to lido deck. Need a place to relax; life boat deck listening to waves. Taking a cruise removed most of the unpleasant parts of taking a family trip with a baby. It was so easy and would recommend it and do it all over again. Carnival provides family time in the playroom for those under 2 years old, and accepts kids into their camp program at 2 years old. Has been working out great so far.

We had a great family time making memories, and our son asks about the Carnival Victory all the time. The other night a movie was on TV and he said "We watched that at the pool on Carnival Victory"; it was 3 months ago and he hasn't seen the movie since, so little kids definitely can make memories.

We brought our two year old on a cruise last year. She had just turned two a few weeks earlier, and we made friends with a family who had a little one just a bit under two. They definitely were bummed that Camp Ocean wasn’t available for standard drop off, but loved that there were opportunities for family play time in Camp Ocean whole the bigger kids were on a break. You also have the option to leave the under two kiddos for the for few evening care (I think it was about $5 or $6/hr).

We never felt uncomfortable with our kids on board (we also had a 4 year old) and the staff was truly amazing. I didn’t bring a stroller, but opted to wear her. They offered me a chair during the muter drill, they offered to help hold her while I plated the kids food, they played with the kids so I could actually eat breakfast in the lido buffet. Everybody (passengers included) was welcoming to the kids, and I loved that!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Last cruise I had a couple with a baby in the next room. I could hear screaming, crying, banging on the wall pretty much all day, every day. It was quiet when they went to sleep but it started back up around 7am so no sleeping in. That’s the first time I was actually ready to get off the boat and go home.

No way those inconsiderate people would chase me off the ship!

I'd be patient and accommodating for awhile. But when the crying and banging noises get me to a certain point, then I'd react. Even something as simple as when we are about to leave the room for awhile, I'd bang on the wall to stir the kid. :evilsmile:

Hate to sound like a %^&*, but the parents can share in the misery they cause. It's my vacation too!

No way those inconsiderate people would chase me off the ship!

I'd be patient and accommodating for awhile. But when the crying and banging noises get me to a certain point, then I'd react. Even something as simple as when we are about to leave the room for awhile, I'd bang on the wall to stir the kid. :evilsmile:

Hate to sound like a %^&*, but the parents can share in the misery they cause. It's my vacation too!

Oh, I love this. I will definitely remember this if I encounter a crying baby next door to my cabin. We need leaders like you!

Leaders?? That is why carnival has a reputation of being trashy; adults don't know how to involve shipboard management to resolve an issue, they stoop down to acting like toddlers. That is why you see so much obscene behavior out of adults. They were not raised to act properly.

My daughter and son in law are insisting on bringing our 13 month old on a cruise. They will be sailing in march from San Juan on Carnival. Has anyone ever done this? What should they expect?

Is it doable? Yes. Will it be different type of vacation? Yes. Would I do it? No way especially at that age

carnival sold a Spa cabin to accommodate a family even though Spa access is not allowed for under 18 years old? Weird

Nothing weird about it... Carnival doesn't restrict the age of those who stay in the spa cabin, just the age of those who can access the spa. Just as they limit the number of passengers who get the spa passes to 2, regardless of how many are in the cabin. A few years ago a family of 4 was in the spa cabin beside us, and only the mom used the spa.

CC is all about discussion. Everyone can and should be free to give their opinions. Someone sent me an email about this thread. LOL. I could hardly believe it! Anyway here is my view, which my friend should already know and won't be happy to see posted.

When my first grandchild was 10 months old I took her, my DD and SIL on a cruise. We flew BWI to San Juan and sailed on a 10 day southern Caribbean itinerary. We had a wonderful time. She was a very good baby/infant/toddler. She was walking at 10 months and made friends with everyone. The crew loved her. We had a nice umbrella style stroller with hood and back screen to protect her from the sun. We bought a small blow up bath tub for the shower and used it as a splash pool out on the balcony. She ate in the MDR, had a highchair provided each night and the chef even made her food blended, chopped and beautiful for her plate. We had sippy cups so NO spills. We also had a huge bib that had sleeves and covered her little dresses. She never threw a fit, was really good and liked by everyone.

That said, I agreed to spoil her, watch her, walk her around ship, she would nap every afternoon, and to put her to bed each evening. I saw early production shows (my favorites) and they went out for the late shows. We had lots of baby supplies and never had one issue with the baby.

EVERY family has their own way of dealing but I do feel someone needs to be willing to step up to help care for the baby so the parents can dine if the little one is a terror (children should never be allowed to run around a DR sitting as hot food can and does spill), someone to watch the little one so shows can be enjoyed by other guests (no screaming children or fighting parents yelling about which one has to take out the child...this was a major scene on our last cruise by someone in the theatre), someone to help with naps so parents can enjoy ports and someone to help with bedtimes. IF family cannot do this, then parents need to adjust their day (they cannot just expect the other one to ALWAYS have baby duty...something I have seen over the years many times), or to bring along a sitter (if they do this, they need to spell out what the sitter must do while on the cruise before ever leaving home). Some cruise lines do have sitters and even an infant "camp area" but parents are often expected to be there and use it as a parent&baby area as sitters are not always present. Sitters are an aditional fee but well worth a night out if that is the way you are planning to cruise. Children can cruise and even infants can be a world of fun. Just know your child and how they react to changes and strangers. Remember their favorite things, toy, blanket even shhets that smell of home instead of harsh ship laundry soap. You can even bring on your own pack N play for in the cabin.

I know several of my Grandchihldren should never attempt a cruise until they are in 2nd or 3rd grade. Not every child is the same and not all parents of families are flexible.

Make plans before your cruise and you will have a good experience.

Sandy Toes hit it on the head with her post. Every family is different and expectations should be hashed out BEFORE arriving on the ship. You have to know yourself and your own disposition as well as your mates and your child's disposition. Everyone should be in agreement on what they expect to get out of the vacation.

I have seen plenty of families on the ship that appear to be having a great time. Children look happy and parents are smiling. I have also seen families where the mom (usually the mom) looks hot, frustrated and mad. You look for the dad and he is living it up at the bar, in the club, in the pool, in the pizza line wherever while mom looks like a pack mule with a baby attached to her chest, a toddler trying to escape the stroller and an older child running away from her as she is hauling the diaper bag and other items needed for the children.

When I see this I kinda chuckle...you know what your mate is like. If you have a husband that calls it "babysitting" when the kids are in his care while at home...a mate that never helps with any care of the children while at home you pretty much know he likely is not going to be that much help while on vacation.

Why even set yourself up for disappointment once on board?

Or if you have a infant/toddler/child that does not do well with change or veering from their norm they likely will not do well on the ship.

Sandy Toes hit it on the head with her post. Every family is different and expectations should be hashed out BEFORE arriving on the ship. You have to know yourself and your own disposition as well as your mates and your child's disposition. Everyone should be in agreement on what they expect to get out of the vacation.

I have seen plenty of families on the ship that appear to be having a great time. Children look happy and parents are smiling. I have also seen families where the mom (usually the mom) looks hot, frustrated and mad. You look for the dad and he is living it up at the bar, in the club, in the pool, in the pizza line wherever while mom looks like a pack mule with a baby attached to her chest, a toddler trying to escape the stroller and an older child running away from her as she is hauling the diaper bag and other items needed for the children.

When I see this I kinda chuckle...you know what your mate is like. If you have a husband that calls it "babysitting" when the kids are in his care while at home...a mate that never helps with any care of the children while at home you pretty much know he likely is not going to be that much help while on vacation.

Why even set yourself up for disappointment once on board?

Or if you have a infant/toddler/child that does not do well with change or veering from their norm they likely will not do well on the ship.

When I read this, I kind of chuckled, as it reminded me on me raising our 5 children. We are older cruisers, and when we raised our children, my hubby was very traditional and old school, work was his domain, and house and kids mine. He never changed a diaper on any of those 5, and I had the pleasure of using only cloth diapers. The only “vacation” we took while raising them was tent camping, where I cooked all meals campside, and was responsible for child care also. I know younger couples would be appalled at that lifestyle, but that was the norm back then, and accepted. Once my oldest entered college, and my baby kindergarten, I finally was able to get my first full time job, but had to be done by the time school ended. I did go on to have a very fulfilling nursing career. I have found that now my hubby is much more involved in our 14 grandchildren’s lives than he ever was in our children’s. Times have changed for the good in that respect, as our sons have all been more hands on with their family. But back then, I could not have managed on a ship. He would be the man at the bar, with me chasing kids! Lol!

My daughter and son in law are insisting on bringing our 13 month old on a cruise. They will be sailing in march from San Juan on Carnival. Has anyone ever done this? What should they expect?

Very little free time....in the room by 8pm every night. limited excursions. (very limited beach time-heat/sun) sorry, lived it.. NEVER again ...went on a bus tour w a crying infant,, what a great Time!

DW and I have always wondered why people bring infants on cruises.

yet people do...they never look relaxed

Very little free time....in the room by 8pm every night. limited excursions. (very limited beach time-heat/sun) sorry, lived it.. NEVER again ...went on a bus tour w a crying infant,, what a great Time!

DW and I have always wondered why people bring infants on cruises.

yet people do...they never look relaxed

Or not. :)

Spending the day on deck playing contentedly with toys and interacting with friendly staff and fellow cruisers.

Excursions to beautiful beaches with gloriously clear, warm water.

Some kids drift gently to sleep in their umbrella strollers during dinner and transfer sweetly to bed when the rest of the family retires.

(Even when cruising without my kids I’m in bed by 10 and at the gym when it opens.) Some families travel beautifully together. Some, I’m sure, do not.

I prefer to travel with my family and only rarely cruise with a fellow mom friend. It is cheaper x1 vs x8 and I’m the one in the family who is the vacationdreamer so they send me solo now and then.

We have taken our children and grandchildren on cruises since the early 1970's. With the infants/toddlers I found that the employees loved to hold " the baby" because they miss theirs at home. We would wear the kids out and they slept at night....This has been on NCL, Princess, Costa and MSC. Now, that is not to say that we have not had difficulties with older children running the halls, pressing all the elevator buttons and taking over the hot tubs....with no parents or adults in sight. I would think nothing of stopping children from running...the employees have thanked me several times because they are not allowed to do anything. I have seen an elderly man in a wheelchair because he was run over by kids !!! I once told an (about 10 yr old boy) that if I open the elevator door one more time and see him in it alone with all the buttons pushed I will report him and his family to the Captain, my cousin, NOT and they will all be thrown off the ship at the next port. Never saw him again.

Once , at about 2am we heard running and laughing in the Hall and Richard opened the door to remind the children that there were people sleeping and low and behold it was a FAMILY...mother and father with 3 kids under 10 ( don't ask me what kind of cabin they had !!! ) The PARENTS said to the children " Don't pay attention to them, it's our vacation and we paid good money so we can do as we please !"

...and we wonder why schools have trouble with kids....

Never go on a cruise that has children going for free.....we have seen whole families with many cousins etc. completely ignore the kids and letting them run wild while the parents lounge around with "buckets of beer" We were once on a cruise with 500 kids out of NYC over half of them JR High students " bored"

I could go on and on...but it's not just about your children sometimes but the safety of a strangers child because the parents are clueless.