What beach do I go to this time around??

mitsugirly

Port Royal, sure am glad that your last posts were helpful, your initial post was horrible. This and other boards are two way , give and take. Since a lot of us cruisers do not get to cruise often , your (?) spots probably would only get one or two extra cruise families a day. Not really filling up YOUR beach. My opinion only.

Your opinion and thesis is accepted.

However, having experienced the compound reality of "one or two extra per day", it will, in time, ruin the beach and dining experience for many discerning cruisers.

Carambola is an excellent example of the Cruise Herds effect, going from a genteel lunch and beach club, to madness within four years.

• 1 month later...
Hmm, I'm not really sure how to respond to this. I ask for suggestions for a new place for us to go and you respond by telling me you won't tell. :o

As for people not suggesting places to go to others on cc...isn't that what we are here for? At least that's why I'm here. This is a community to share information, get ideas, suggestions, and report experiences. That's why I first came to CC and that's the reason I remain on these boards. So many people have helped me out with suggestions and I would like to think that I have returned the favor and helped people out as well. That's why we pull together as a cruising community...to help others out. ;) If you don't want to make a suggestion to me on a place to go in St Kitts, that's fine, but I'm not sure why you posted to tell me that? :confused: Not helpful at all. Just saying...

Cruise Critic, although there are thousands and thousands of people on here, is only a minuscule amount of people that cruise yearly. Most people have not even heard of this community, therefore usually taking ship sponsored tours or going places that friends have suggested or from land vacations. As the industry continues to grow, so with the amount of people that herd the ports...sooner or later, word gets out about those "quiet" places (or the businesses at these places want to draw more business and advertise more on social media/in port/websites, pay cabbies to take people there and so on). But I hardly doubt that suggesting favorite places on cc is going to overrun a place...365 days of the year to cruise and many, many islands to explore...I will continue to share my experiences with others in hope that they also have an enjoyable day at a beautiful beach...because that's why I'm a part of this cc community. :)

Well said.

Hmm, I'm not really sure how to respond to this. I ask for suggestions for a new place for us to go and you respond by telling me you won't tell. :o

As for people not suggesting places to go to others on cc...isn't that what we are here for? At least that's why I'm here. This is a community to share information, get ideas, suggestions, and report experiences. That's why I first came to CC and that's the reason I remain on these boards. So many people have helped me out with suggestions and I would like to think that I have returned the favor and helped people out as well. That's why we pull together as a cruising community...to help others out. ;) If you don't want to make a suggestion to me on a place to go in St Kitts, that's fine, but I'm not sure why you posted to tell me that? :confused: Not helpful at all. Just saying...

Cruise Critic, although there are thousands and thousands of people on here, is only a minuscule amount of people that cruise yearly. Most people have not even heard of this community, therefore usually taking ship sponsored tours or going places that friends have suggested or from land vacations. As the industry continues to grow, so with the amount of people that herd the ports...sooner or later, word gets out about those "quiet" places (or the businesses at these places want to draw more business and advertise more on social media/in port/websites, pay cabbies to take people there and so on). But I hardly doubt that suggesting favorite places on cc is going to overrun a place...365 days of the year to cruise and many, many islands to explore...I will continue to share my experiences with others in hope that they also have an enjoyable day at a beautiful beach...because that's why I'm a part of this cc community. :)

Hi Mitsugirly! My same exact thoughts and feelings!!! :p Why even be a member of CC or comment if you aren't going to be "helpful"?? As an example in St. Martin we love to go to Pinel Island. It's away from the main crowd and touristy area. You have to go by ferry to get there. I've told anyone who asks for recommendations about it. It's what we do here. Certainly no need for someone to be rude.

Thank you for all of your reviews and recommendations over the years. I used to be on cruisecritic a lot but a change of jobs limited my time on here and any help is appreciated.

We've never been to St. Kitts and are being ported there due to the Hurricane. Would love to have some good beach suggestions.

Edited by kitkat9438

Have three special places on St Kitts, but not wishing to share, because once posted on CC, within months, it will be full of Herds. It ceased then to be special.

May one suggest to all on CC not to post their favourite "quiet" places on St Kitts (or any other Island) keeping them secure from an infestation.

Carambola is a prime example.

Have in the past posted in favour of "Sunshine's", this was one's last recommendation, for discerning cruisers who previously enjoyed the ambience of Carambola, pre Herds.

Are you kidding me. That is the most moronic response that I've ever seen.

• 2 weeks later...
@port Royal I don't want to eat lunch there. I saw the reservations button but only want to book chairs. We will be there Xmas day and carambola is closed for a private party

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just found out Jewel will be there Christmas Day. Did you find anything to do? I'm way behind on planning because of the hurricane situation.

I love the help given and received on CC.

Renee

Have three special places on St Kitts, but not wishing to share, because once posted on CC, within months, it will be full of Herds. It ceased then to be special.

May one suggest to all on CC not to post their favourite "quiet" places on St Kitts (or any other Island) keeping them secure from an infestation.

Carambola is a prime example.

Have in the past posted in favour of "Sunshine's", this was one's last recommendation, for discerning cruisers who previously enjoyed the ambience of Carambola, pre Herds.

I really was trying not to respond to this post, however, I'm a substitute teacher and feel compelled to call out bullying behavior.

This post is very reminiscent of elementary school children saying, "I know a secret, but I'm not telling, you, Suzy. Everybody else knows too, but don't tell Suzy."

It is meant to exclude others so the the speaker has the power. I don't accept it when children do it. I'm calling out an adult too.

You want to keep a secret. Keep it.

Renee

I really was trying not to respond to this post' date=' however, I'm a substitute teacher and feel compelled to call out bullying behavior.

This post is very reminiscent of elementary school children saying, "I know a secret, but I'm not telling, you, Suzy. Everybody else knows too, but don't tell Suzy."

It is meant to exclude others so the the speaker has the power. I don't accept it when children do it. I'm calling out an adult too.

You want to keep a secret. Keep it.

Renee[/quote']

Great post. Sadly, this is not a one-time occurance and has happened on posts for other islands as well. I'm glad someone finally called it out for what it is. Hopefully others will take it to heart.

Well said. Applause.

I am going to read up. I don't like the Atlantic side since it can be rough. I am thinking Shipwreck or Discovery. Will keep you posted.

Shipwreck bar is sounding good for our cruise stop in December

We just like to head to a local bar on the water, toes in the sand and have a drink

Has anyone taken a taxi from the cruise port and can give me an idea what to expect for four people? Thanks very much

I am going to read up. I don't like the Atlantic side since it can be rough. I am thinking Shipwreck or Discovery. Will keep you posted.

Shipwreck bar is sounding good for our cruise stop in December

We just like to head to a local bar on the water, toes in the sand and have a drink

Has anyone taken a taxi from the cruise port and can give me an idea what to expect for four people? Thanks very much

It's been two years since we spent a few hours at Shipwreck, but I'm pretty sure it was $4.00 per person, each way, when we went. It may have gone up since then. Shipwreck is not that far from port. We actually LOVED Shipwreck and next time we visit St. Kitts, that's where we'll be. Make sure to have your driver stop at the Timothy Hill overlook for the beautiful views of both the Caribbean Sea and the Atlantic, and don't forget to check out the views on the opposite side, just as beautiful.

So we have been to Reggae Beach at Cockleshell beach. We have also been to Carambola at South Friars Beach.

Let me know what you got. :D

Hi there,

I follow your posts and frequently visit places you recommend. I'll be in St. Kitts next June. What did you decide to do? Beach? With food and drink? Other amenities?

Also, any info on St. Martin is also appreciated.

Hi there,

I follow your posts and frequently visit places you recommend. I'll be in St. Kitts next June. What did you decide to do? Beach? With food and drink? Other amenities?

Actually, this is kinda an "older" thread that keeps going. lol

What I decided to do was trash the idea of a cruise and we went to Aruba for 10 days for our first land vacation. We had an amazing time (this was back in August).

Our next cruise, in 12 days, will not be going here either.

• 2 months later...

Thank you. I was thinking the same things. Get off cruise critic with that attitude. People come to get info but not share. Hmmmmm I believe it helps keep us all safe and have the best times by sharing information. That's what I want for my family and yours.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi there,

Carambola beach club in St. Kitts. I just saw something about Kimsha beach in St Maarten.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So we have been to Reggae Beach at Cockleshell beach. We have also been to Carambola at South Friars Beach.

Do we have any other options to explore that anyone could recommend? Not really wanting to go back to Cockelshell and "if" we go back to South Friars, we would definitely head to Discovery Beach this time. But...wondering if I'm missing out on any other opportunities to discover a new area.

Let me know what you got. :D

Hi Mitsugirly,

We will be visiting St Kitts for the first time in April and trying to figure out the best beach to visit.

I noticed in your post that you have visited Reggae Beach and Carambola. How would you compare the two? Can you provide some information on Discovery Beach also?

Thank you!! :)

We were in St Kitts on 1-15. Having gone to Cockleshell years ago we decided on South Friars beach this trip. We considered Carambola but had read all these great reviews on Discovery Beach so we decided that was the place. Have to say I was disappointed.

Discovery is in between Carambola and Shipwreck. Cab wanted us to walk from Carambola but we had him drive us around. We knew Discovery was rustic and not modern but that did not bother us and no doubt his drinks were cheaper that the other. Really the issue was that he was not the happy funny guy we had read about. Really kind of I don’t care attitude. His old chairs were very cheap $5. Out of 7000 cruiser in port we were it. I think the looks and the fact that the cabs push Carambola or Shipwreck hurts.

The big issue was the rocky surface under the water. We had water shoes and the volcanic rock was brutal. Worst we have ever seen. The water is clear but if you want to swim this is not your place. If you want cheap chairs and cheaper drinks that down the road it might be. We did not try the food.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were in St Kitts on 1-15. Having gone to Cockleshell years ago we decided on South Friars beach this trip. We considered Carambola but had read all these great reviews on Discovery Beach so we decided that was the place. Have to say I was disappointed.

Discovery is in between Carambola and Shipwreck. Cab wanted us to walk from Carambola but we had him drive us around. We knew Discovery was rustic and not modern but that did not bother us and no doubt his drinks were cheaper that the other. Really the issue was that he was not the happy funny guy we had read about. Really kind of I don’t care attitude. His old chairs were very cheap $5. Out of 7000 cruiser in port we were it. I think the looks and the fact that the cabs push Carambola or Shipwreck hurts.

The big issue was the rocky surface under the water. We had water shoes and the volcanic rock was brutal. Worst we have ever seen. The water is clear but if you want to swim this is not your place. If you want cheap chairs and cheaper drinks that down the road it might be. We did not try the food.

Thank you for your review and comments....so for a first-time visitor, would you recommend that we try Cockleshell or Carambola? :cool:

I may not be the best to answer but here is some thoughts. Carambola is a very nice beach club. Lots of nice beach chairs, good food. Their menu has sandwiches in the $15 range but we usually do t eat a full lunch. Just snack at drink and then eat a late lunch on ship. Not sure of drink prices but a couple that stopped for a beer at Discovery said they were high. Cabs drop off and pick up at door. We will probably go there next trip.

What I cannot answer is about swimming. If it is not so rocky that would be my choice because it is much closer. Still a nice drive and there is a great spot on the mountain top to see both oceans. Cab ride is about 20 min.

Cockleshell is a longer drive. Maybe 30-35 min. It is at the end of the island. Great view of Nevis. Like Shipwreck and Discovery it is St Kitts not commercial. Some animals running around etc. Drinks and food were cheap but that was 4 years ago. The swimming was better and I do t remember any rocks.

We had a great time there. Not sure of any Hurricane effect

Sent from my iPad using Forums