70% Chance of rain on day we're to go Dog Sledding !!

petlover

I've been following the weather for our upcoming Alaska cruise this Saturday, July 5th. The day we're in Juneau (July 7th) we've book dog sledding on Mendenhall Glacier @ 1:15pm with Coastal Helicopters to celebrate our 8 year old Grandson's birthday.

The forecast shows 70% chance of rain in Juneau that day. :(

I'm so bummed at the thought of this privately booked excursion being cancelled. My husband and I are almost as excited as our Grandson is.

Anyone have similar experience dog sledding when it rains or the cancellation of this due to rain?

Thanks!

This may or may not make you feel better. One week pre-cruise, our cruise weather forecast was rain or showers, and cloudy, and cool, for every port. Nope, we got sun and warm-ish.

Having said that, please think about a Plan B in case your excursion IS cancelled due to weather, especially since it is a birthday celebration.

We had pre-booked a glacier/dog mushing helicopter tour in Juneau a few years ago. It was cancelled when we arrived due to low clouds. they did provide a few alternative options, but we passed. We ended up walking to a kiosk and booked a whale watch tour that was fantastic. The refund was in my checking account when we arrived home.

It is disappointing, but there are other options in Juneau that can be great as well. Hopefully the weather will turn out great and you'll be able to go as scheduled! It does often rain, but sometimes it is a short time and the clouds lift by mid morning/early afternoon. We had a morning time, and they did up running the afternoon excursions.

That's more than a week away! I'll bet if you check that forecast every day for the next week, it will say something different every day.

Also, 70% chance of rain doesn't mean that it's going to rain all day. It just means that it might rain at some point during the day. It might not affect your excursion at all.

Have a backup plan, but don't freak out. :D

Come up w/ a plan "B" as others have said and STOP checking the weather! I can say I kept checking the weather every day until we cruised b/c we had glacier trekking/heli - I would get so discouraged, and I have to say, I got a sunburn in Juneau - Whale Watching is what everybody suggests w/ Harv/Marv or Orca Entrp. You'll have fun, alaska is beautiful :)

I've been following the weather for our upcoming Alaska cruise this Saturday, July 5th. The day we're in Juneau (July 7th) we've book dog sledding on Mendenhall Glacier @ 1:15pm with Coastal Helicopters to celebrate our 8 year old Grandson's birthday.

The forecast shows 70% chance of rain in Juneau that day. :(

I'm so bummed at the thought of this privately booked excursion being cancelled. My husband and I are almost as excited as our Grandson is.

Anyone have similar experience dog sledding when it rains or the cancellation of this due to rain?

Thanks!

These flights do NOT cancel because of rain. They cancel due to visibility. IF it is clear, and raining, your flight will go.

You will NOT be dog sledding on Mendenhall glacier. The only vendor with those permits is TEMSCO. Coastal uses a dog camp on Herbert glacier.

Fact- glacier dog sledding is the most canceled Alaska tour, I always suggest people have back up plans, and schedule this at their first opportunity either Skagway or Juneau, if a priority- which in your case, it appears so. Upon cancellation, immediately get on the phone and see if any space in the next port. A "slight" edge, would also be to book this tour early in the port day, then have all three vendor numbers in Juneau, and keep calling for openings.

I agree, it is a waste of time to worry about and try and predict weather.

These flights do NOT cancel because of rain. They cancel due to visibility. IF it is clear, and raining, your flight will go.

You will NOT be dog sledding on Mendenhall glacier. The only vendor with those permits is TEMSCO. Coastal uses a dog camp on Herbert glacier.

Fact- glacier dog sledding is the most canceled Alaska tour, I always suggest people have back up plans, and schedule this at their first opportunity either Skagway or Juneau, if a priority- which in your case, it appears so. Upon cancellation, immediately get on the phone and see if any space in the next port. A "slight" edge, would also be to book this tour early in the port day, then have all three vendor numbers in Juneau, and keep calling for openings.

Thank you BQ, you're right...it is Herbert Glacier, years ago we did go to Mendenhall so I got confused. I like your backup plan as well. I've also stopped looking at the weather forecasts, no 2 sights seemed to agree anyway.

I'm just back from there 2 weeks ago. We also were dog sledding in Juneau. Original time was 10:15 and that was cancelled. We asked for a later time and were booked at 2:45. It was raining, but we still went. We did end up being one of only 2 groups that went the entire day.

In hindsight, I would have worn my rain pants as we got soaked. It was worth it in the end, though!

Budget Queen, thanks for mentioning that....Coastal flies to the Herbert...and if there is light rain, you will go....it usually snows on glaciers, not rains...:) It is always good to have a back up plan. My dogs were up on that glacier for their summer vacation last year and they had a good time....If you would like to see pictures of the dog camp, and you have a Facebook, look up Sebastian Schunelle...He is the guy who has that operation, and he just put up some pictures of dog camp a day or so ago....It is an open site...It is an amazing place and the glacier is absolutely beautiful...He has some pictures also of the crevasses and the rivers on the glacier...amazing..

• 3 years later...

:cool:

I am currently debating booking early sled riding time vs 2 pm sled riding time ...this is early September we are going. I read what you said about booking early then having phone number for 3 other vendors in Juneau. May I ask what the 3 vendors are

:cool:

I am currently debating booking early sled riding time vs 2 pm sled riding time ...this is early September we are going. I read what you said about booking early then having phone number for 3 other vendors in Juneau. May I ask what the 3 vendors are

Many dog sledding on glaciers are over by this time. I would also have a backup plan that is not dog sledding on a glacier.

Many dog sledding on glaciers are over by this time. I would also have a backup plan that is not dog sledding on a glacier.
Hi

I am aware it’s a possible cancellation but they are still offering them throughout that week. We did the private glacier tour last tome. I just wanted the three vendors if I take your advice and book the am one so I can attempt to call the others or make a secondary plan.

Thank you

Hi

I am aware it’s a possible cancellation but they are still offering them throughout that week. We did the private glacier tour last tome. I just wanted the three vendors if I take your advice and book the am one so I can attempt to call the others or make a secondary plan.

Thank you

I would call and ask what time last year(s) they quit to give you a good feel. Many times it is in mid-August. Thought the weather every year is different. They always offer the excursion through the season then cancel when they stop.