Currency for Baltic/Russia cruise?

sstepson

In Russia, The souvenir stores the tour took us to took CC, USD or Euros in Russia. You’ll need cash to tip the tour guides there as well, in Usd or Eur. While CC are accepted virtually everywhere, I would bring some euros, which were accepted in Copenhagen for the beginning and end.

• 3 weeks later...

Get money locally before leaving. I'm in U.S. and use Chase Bank. They can get me most common currencies within 24 hours at practically the lowest exchange rates. ATMs and dedicated currency exchange places are ripoffs. Use your CC that has no foreign transaction fees everywhere you can, and local currency for the rest. For a country with a simple port stop, you only need equivalent of USD $20-$50 for each. If the CC gets you by, then when you get back home you can exchange back at lowest rates.

Get money locally before leaving. I'm in U.S. and use Chase Bank. They can get me most common currencies within 24 hours at practically the lowest exchange rates. ATMs and dedicated currency exchange places are ripoffs. Use your CC that has no foreign transaction fees everywhere you can, and local currency for the rest. For a country with a simple port stop, you only need equivalent of USD $20-$50 for each. If the CC gets you by, then when you get back home you can exchange back at lowest rates.

Hmmm...no fees? I would be looking closely at these statements. Lowest rates are typically at ATMs associated with banks in country.

If you buy the foreign currency in the US you will pay a spread of approximately 7% above in the local currency you get in the local country. We buy in person from either Chase or B of A depending on the rate for just a small amount of pocket change & then buy more currency at a bank (not private) atm in the country we're visiting.

If you buy the foreign currency in the US you will pay a spread of approximately 7% above in the local currency you get in the local country. We buy in person from either Chase or B of A depending on the rate for just a small amount of pocket change & then buy more currency at a bank (not private) atm in the country we're visiting.

I agree...that has been our experience as well. I can't agree with twruger that Chase is such a great deal.

I just read an article today that 36% of the swedes never uses cash and some people fears that the transition to a cashless society goes to fast.

The same article mentions that in 2015 only 20% of all purchases in Denmark was done with cash and I imagine that the number is lower today.

So for these 2 countries I think its fair to say that you can do without cash for your purchases.

Germany however is a whole other story, I was there in the start of February and its a surprisingly huge amount of cafe´s and taxies that didn´t accept credit card.

Danish Viking

Here in the UK it is rapidly becoming a cashless ( and Contactless) society. For quite some time the buses and Underground system in London has been cashless. Many places don't want to accept cash these days as it is easier to swipe a card.

Most people only carry a minimum amount of cash with them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I just read an article today that 36% of the swedes never uses cash and some people fears that the transition to a cashless society goes to fast.

The same article mentions that in 2015 only 20% of all purchases in Denmark was done with cash and I imagine that the number is lower today.

So for these 2 countries I think its fair to say that you can do without cash for your purchases.

Germany however is a whole other story, I was there in the start of February and its a surprisingly huge amount of cafe´s and taxies that didn´t accept credit card.

I know that MC/VISA needs a 4 digit pin for non-ATM transactions like in restaurants, bats, stores, but has anyone used American Express? Mine had no fees, so secure, perks attached, and I use it almost exclusively!! I called them and they said no pin is needed and foreign merchants know this! Anybody have any experience??

What you are referring to is commonly called PIN and chip cards. Yes, in Europe, the credit card issuers have stated that a PIN is not required on US issued cards...the vendors are supposed to accept, and get you to sign a receipt. This works well in Europe, except for unstaffed locations like train ticket machines, toll road pay booths and similar. Commonly discussed here...many threads on the topics.

The key here is acceptance of American Express. In the past, AMEX was far from widely accepted. That has improved, but I would definitely suggest having a back up, non-AMEX card just in case.

What you are referring to is commonly called PIN and chip cards. Yes, in Europe, the credit card issuers have stated that a PIN is not required on US issued cards...the vendors are supposed to accept, and get you to sign a receipt. This works well in Europe, except for unstaffed locations like train ticket machines, toll road pay booths and similar. Commonly discussed here...many threads on the topics.

The key here is acceptance of American Express. In the past, AMEX was far from widely accepted. That has improved, but I would definitely suggest having a back up, non-AMEX card just in case.

Thanks! I will have a backup......we also have small amounts of Danish DKK, Norwegian NOK, Swedish SEK and Russian Rubles.... all from Chase for use in markets, small vendors, etc....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I know that MC/VISA needs a 4 digit pin for non-ATM transactions like in restaurants, bats, stores, but has anyone used American Express? Mine had no fees, so secure, perks attached, and I use it almost exclusively!! I called them and they said no pin is needed and foreign merchants know this! Anybody have any experience??

We have stopped trying to use American Express as many merchants in Tenerife( where we go for 2 weeks in the winter) don’t use them, I think they have to pay higher fees.

My husband had notification from MBNA yesterday that their AMEX card will cease in April.

Thanks! I will have a backup......we also have small amounts of Danish DKK, Norwegian NOK, Swedish SEK and Russian Rubles.... all from Chase for use in markets, small vendors, etc..../quote]

As mentioned above the Scandinavian countries use less cash now. I live in Stockholm and since more than a year ago I don't carry any cash at all when l go out. I know of only two places where I could need cash, but they are places where no cruise passengers would go. Anyway, what is happening now is that more and more places refuse to take any cash. As for markets and small vendors they all take cards now.

We have stopped trying to use American Express as many merchants in Tenerife( where we go for 2 weeks in the winter) don’t use them, I think they have to pay higher fees.

Yes, higher fees.:(

And slow payment.:(

The reasons I stopped accepting AmEx. Didn't lose any business, folk just used a different card.

JB :)

• 4 weeks later...
See post #25

We’re using Alla and they have requested DOLLARS for tips! Please be aware that they need to be very clean bills with no tiny tears or bent corners! Having travelled extensively by car and train in Europe we found that to to be the case even years back when we’d exchange US dollars in a foreign bank...now, of course if you need foreign currency, ATM’s the way to go!

Agreed...we obtained from Chase a small amount of Danish, Finnish, Swedish, Norwegian and Russian currency for use in small places for a beer, wine, souvenirs etc..... we like to wander and not worry whether a CC is taken and we can also make small purchases without figuring out the conversion!

Re the PINS for credit cards...my cards have chips. Should I ask the CC co to assign a PIN also?

And for the tours in SPB, I plan to pay in cc, how should I tip? Rubles? Dollars?

Your bank won't assign a PIN if the card isn't designed for one, which most in the US aren't. Having a chip doesn't automatically create a PIN and chip card. This might take you into the "Cash advance" mode, which incurs large fees.

We obtained PINs for credit cards for visit to Iceland last year. Call your credit card provider or go on line and get a pin prior to your trip, even if your card has a chip. Pin not needed when used in restaurant or retail store. It was needed at the unattended gas stations.

I think the only inconvenient thing about money on a Baltic cruise will be the small change needed for restrooms. Found we frequently needed that change in Iceland and it sounds like it could be necessary through this itinerary.

We obtained PINs for credit cards for visit to Iceland last year. Call your credit card provider or go on line and get a pin prior to your trip, even if your card has a chip. Pin not needed when used in restaurant or retail store. It was needed at the unattended gas stations.

I think the only inconvenient thing about money on a Baltic cruise will be the small change needed for restrooms. Found we frequently needed that change in Iceland and it sounds like it could be necessary through this itinerary.

Curious what bank? Did you ever use the PIN, and did it incur "cash advance" fees?

Again...the number of chip cards that are designed to be PIN and chip issued by US banks is small...but slowly growing.

Curious what bank? Did you ever use the PIN, and did it incur "cash advance" fees?

Again...the number of chip cards that are designed to be PIN and chip issued by US banks is small...but slowly growing.

We had a chip card used last year with a PIN in Iceland as well. No "cash advance" incurred but I'm not sure if it is because we have a Platinum Plus account. Think it was a gas station ~ not sure as we stayed in town for several days before boarding a cruise ship and bought groceries/meals as well..

We had a chip card used last year with a PIN in Iceland as well. No "cash advance" incurred but I'm not sure if it is because we have a Platinum Plus account. Think it was a gas station ~ not sure as we stayed in town for several days before boarding a cruise ship and bought groceries/meals as well..

Good...but without knowing what bank and type of card this is, it doesn't help with factual comparisons.

We have a USAA Visa, chip and PIN. But our Chase United Visa card is chip without a PIN (except for cash advance purposes, which we would never use). The Chase card have not offered us a PIN, and doesn't indicate we could get a PIN. However, that card comes up for renewal in June...hopefully a PIN will come with renewal. Chase, except for some selected high end cards, doesn't offer true PIN and chip, as far as I can tell.